5th Year Option Pick Ups

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's tricky because you don't know if the motivation will be gone once he gets his contract for a player like Lawson.  I'd like to see the Bills let Shaq and Murphy go and upgrade by signing a top FA DE as there will be some to target this offseason.  We need more consistent pressure from that spot.

And there is no way to tell if that free agent DE will fit in and have the motivation be gone once he gets his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

White is a no brainer. 

We didn't pick up Shaq Lawson, and at this point I think we really need to bring him back next year. 

Shaq has 5.5 sacks with 3 games remaining on the season. I don't know if I would say the team "really" needs to bring him back. He is a nice player but I am not overpaying for him if I am Bills management. I think he is an excellent DE3 but I don't think he is starting caliber opposite Hughes. I think a deal that is around 8 million aav is about what I would pay. Agreed on White they are going to lock him in for 2021.

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Shaq has 5.5 sacks with 3 games remaining on the season. I don't know if I would say the team "really" needs to bring him back. He is a nice player but I am not overpaying for him if I am Bills management. I think he is an excellent DE3 but I don't think he is starting caliber opposite Hughes. I think a deal that is around 8 million aav is about what I would pay. Agreed on White they are going to lock him in for 2021.

He is second in sacks but leads our team in hurries, pressures and knock downs.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think what you mean are nearly 50% were "disappointments" to the drafting team after 3 years.  That could be for a number of reasons including the team/system/coaching.   The average coaching staff only lasts about 4 years as well.    In general the draft is a pretty efficient way of distributing "talent".    Some of the busts are due to injury or lack of commitment by the player. Some play to their first round talents AFTER their option isn't picked up.   Like Eli Apple, for instance.   It always surprises us when 1st rounders don't pan out and become pro bowl players but if every draft yielded 32 more pro bowl players free agency would be a buyers market and teams would just be declining options on better players. 

True probably disappointments is a better word than mistakes.  And likely most who have an option that was declined will still sign with another team just at much less money than they figured they'd be making when they got drafted 4 years prior, i.e. Shaq Lawson.   They're really not busts, just not worth the money they could be making or thought they'd make.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

It wasn't a snub, it was a get your act together or get out. 

Many times people respect and feel closer to people that demand more from them. 

Good comment.  I don't think Shaq was fully on-board with NFL life and training when he first came to Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

True probably disappointments is a better word than mistakes.  And likely most who have an option that was declined will still sign with another team just at much less money than they figured they'd be making when they got drafted 4 years prior, i.e. Shaq Lawson.   They're really not busts, just not worth the money they could be making or thought they'd make.

And a certain percentage actually hate playing football and are happy just collecting on that first contract.     The Bills had a LT prospect named Corey Louchiey back in the 1990's and he and his GF were close with my sister-in-law and he told her repeatedly how he hated football and was just in it for a quick cash grab.   At the same time you were constantly hearing on WGR and Empire about how highly the Bills thought of him LOL.   He did just what he said.......carefully played out his Bills deal without exerting himself much........got another from the Falcons because of his great physical talent and never played a down there.   Not everybody is maxing out earnings even they are just on a 3rd round deal.   What's funny is now he works for the NFLPA.   It's not unfair to call the draft a crapshoot but the failures are for many, many reasons not just the talent evaluation being random.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...could see letting Murphy go...he was a stop gap crap shoot for McBeane during cap constraints........if I remember correctly, Shaq's 5th year was $10 mil...based on YTD 2019 production, what type of deal would you offer him?..............

I'd try to sign one of the big name FA's available and if I can't then I'd pry offer him around a 3 year 22 million dollar contract with 11.5 million guaranteed.  I wouldn't overpay for him though considering there's a lot of other contracts that should take priority in the coming years (White, Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Dawkins).

5 hours ago, cage said:

I guess that's where we have to believe in "the process".  He's still on the team in year 3, which wouldn't be the case if he had Dareus-itis

Obviously the coaching staff has a much better read on Shaq and can determine if he's having his best season because of his development or extra motivation due to knowing it's his contract year (which he's referenced on several occasions).  

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

And there is no way to tell if that free agent DE will fit in and have the motivation be gone once he gets his contract.

True, but I'd rather overpay for an elite player consistent production over four or five years.

3 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

So players strive their whole life to play football and the minute they get paid, the become lazy and unmotivated?

I remember it being reported Lawson reported to camp out of shape McDermott's first year so there's that potential.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Yes, but does he want to come back to a team that snubbed him.  He knows he'll have other options.

We could tag him for a year and try to negotiate a long term deal.

It's not like we're short on cap space. 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's tricky because you don't know if the motivation will be gone once he gets his contract for a player like Lawson.  I'd like to see the Bills let Shaq and Murphy go and upgrade by signing a top FA DE as there will be some to target this offseason.  We need more consistent pressure from that spot.

I disagree. The odds of signing a top pass rusher aren't good.

I think we're on to something rolling so many fresh bodies out there against the same 5 linemen for 60 minutes. 

I'd love to find someone better, I just don't think that's likely. Plus Lawson is only 25 years old. He could easily be productive for another 5 years so I think it's a low risk proposition. 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I'd rather not rebuild any part of the #3 defense in the NFL.

Keep as many people intact as possible and keep adding through the draft and free agency. 

We have $90 mil in cap space. Money isn't a problem.

I think bringing back Lawson and Phillips are major things we need to get done this offseason. 

Our defense is elite and needs to be kept intact. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Pay_Poyer said:

I heard someone talking about this on the radio recently in regards to quarterbacks.  I don't have the exact numbers, but they were saying it is VERY rare that a quarterback's 5th year option doesn't get picked up.  You have to be really bad (EJ, Johnny football) or have a terrible injury (Bridgewater) for it not to be picked up.  I was surprised by that, but after thinking about it, it does make sense - You're going to give your qb every chance to succeed

I think that even Bortles, Winston, and Mariota had their options picked up, so you are dead on.

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Article in todays Athletic about projections of teams who will, won't, or may pick up players 5th year options. There projections were of the 32teams, 18 would be picked up, 9 would not and 5 were maybe's.   BTW in case you were wondering White was a definite yes.  One other yes that might surprise was Tribitsky (sp)  What it actually ends up being will see, but likely won't change by a huge amount either up or down

What kind of stood out to me was 18 of 32 were a yes, slightly over 50%.  So for everyone out there who love to knock the Bills draft picks because they didn't pick the person they wanted or whom else they could have picked regardless of the round chosen, i.e. Zay Jones, overall the success rate for all teams isn't very great.  I'm sure for QB's the rate is even lower.  So tells me even with all the information available to all teams, it's really more luck than skill WRT who is selected.

Cooper Kupp...

Really nice article from ESPN about Shaq and Phillips ... https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/304229/bills-dogs-shaq-lawson-and-jordan-phillips-setting-tone-for-defense.

One of the more interesting points was how Shaq and Jordan set the energy of the defense per McDermott as well as Shaq's view of the team under Rexy "You can tell, everything just changed with the culture, bringing the right guys in," Lawson said. "Coach McDermott and Beane did everybody a favor, especially me. It turned me around as a player because when I first got here -- to me, it felt like a damn party. ... Ever since then, I've been progressing as a player."

• Like (+1) 1

I know it might be popular to pick up the 5th round option with White, but that is kicking the can down the road, vs. giving him a contract.  It will just go up t(e following year.

Ive said it before, but we need as many contracts of our better talented players while we still have a QB on a rookie deal.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Really nice article from ESPN about Shaq and Phillips ... https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/304229/bills-dogs-shaq-lawson-and-jordan-phillips-setting-tone-for-defense.

One of the more interesting points was how Shaq and Jordan set the energy of the defense per McDermott as well as Shaq's view of the team under Rexy "You can tell, everything just changed with the culture, bringing the right guys in," Lawson said. "Coach McDermott and Beane did everybody a favor, especially me. It turned me around as a player because when I first got here -- to me, it felt like a damn party. ... Ever since then, I've been progressing as a player."

I love the fact that Phillips was gifted to us by Adam Gase and will continue to terrorize Gase for the rest of Gase’s short-a$$ stay in the AFC East.

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I love the fact that Phillips was gifted to us by Adam Gase and will continue to terrorize Gase for the rest of Gase’s short-a$$ stay in the AFC East.

Personally I hope Gase stays in AFCE and moves to New England when Billicheat is sanctioned for a year.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, jrober38 said:

White is a no brainer. 

We didn't pick up Shaq Lawson, and at this point I think we really need to bring him back next year. 

Yep- pick up White now and lock him into 4 years spread out 10-12 mil per

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Personally I hope Gase stays in AFCE and moves to New England when Billicheat is sanctioned for a year.

I think Billicheat should be shown the door for life of they peel the onion back and find his hands in the cookie jar again.