Matt Milano, quiet guy and stud LB - Athletic Article

Good Fairburn article on Matt Milano in the Athletic

Kudos to Fairburn for getting as much as he did out of Milano.  But most of the article quotes Bob Babitch (LB coach) and a bit from Frazier and Micah Hyde.  

For those who don't remember, Matt is the guy who was profiled last year as being totally minimalist.  His apartment contains few possessions beyond a bed, sofa, desk, and chair.

I think it was @Shaw66 who, in one of his posts, pointed out that one "hidden" fundamental of McDermott's D is having linebackers like Milano and Edmunds who can tackle like LB, but can cover like safeties.  This article reinforces that perception:

"Having a player like Milano means Hyde and Poyer can play free. The defense can call different coverages. Nobody is worried about leaving Milano alone in coverage against just about anybody.  “It’s rare,” Hyde explained. “When I was with my past team and playing third-down situations, you bring in the dime package, bring in another corner, another safety, someone that can cover better than a linebacker. When I first got here, it was no dime package, nothing. No six DBs at all. I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’”

Milano reinforces the point that knowing the scheme and being 100% comfortable with one's role is key to playing hard and playing fast:

"Lorenzo Alexander has played alongside Milano since he was a rookie and has seen a noticeable jump in the tenacity with which Milano plays.

“I think that comes along with being in the league a little bit longer time,” Milano said. “You get more comfortable scheme-wise, understanding everything. Sometimes when you’re really not sure of things, you can be a little more passive. If you’re really not sure of stuff, that’s all that’s on your mind is, ‘Oh *****, what do I have to do this play?’”

Milano is the "Anti-Mouth".  He doesn't like to run it: “I feel like I shouldn’t have to be the one hyping myself up,” Milano said. “If I play good, I play good. If I don’t play good, I don’t play good. That’s my thought behind it. I don’t want to be the guy who hypes myself up and then doesn’t go out there and perform, so I just don’t say anything at all.”

As he was doing this interview, multiple teammates started shouting about how he should be in the Pro Bowl. The rosters will be announced next week, but Milano isn’t sure he’s earned it: “Personally, I feel like I still have to make more plays. I think I’m not even playing my best to be honest, at least as far as last year, as far as taking the ball away.”

Milano is in his 3rd year.  I'm hoping he stays healthy and stays with us for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good Fairburn article on Matt Milano in the Athletic

Kudos to Fairburn for getting as much as he did out of Milano.  But most of the article quotes Bob Babitch (LB coach) and a bit from Frazier and Micah Hyde.  

For those who don't remember, Matt is the guy who was profiled last year as being totally minimalist.  His apartment contains few possessions beyond a bed, sofa, desk, and chair.

I think it was @Shaw66 who, in one of his posts, pointed out that one "hidden" fundamental of McDermott's D is having linebackers like Milano and Edmunds who can tackle like LB, but can cover like safeties.  This article reinforces that perception:

"Having a player like Milano means Hyde and Poyer can play free. The defense can call different coverages. Nobody is worried about leaving Milano alone in coverage against just about anybody.  “It’s rare,” Hyde explained. “When I was with my past team and playing third-down situations, you bring in the dime package, bring in another corner, another safety, someone that can cover better than a linebacker. When I first got here, it was no dime package, nothing. No six DBs at all. I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’”

Milano reinforces the point that knowing the scheme and being 100% comfortable with one's role is key to playing hard and playing fast:

"Lorenzo Alexander has played alongside Milano since he was a rookie and has seen a noticeable jump in the tenacity with which Milano plays.

“I think that comes along with being in the league a little bit longer time,” Milano said. “You get more comfortable scheme-wise, understanding everything. Sometimes when you’re really not sure of things, you can be a little more passive. If you’re really not sure of stuff, that’s all that’s on your mind is, ‘Oh *****, what do I have to do this play?’”

Milano is the "Anti-Mouth".  He doesn't like to run it: “I feel like I shouldn’t have to be the one hyping myself up,” Milano said. “If I play good, I play good. If I don’t play good, I don’t play good. That’s my thought behind it. I don’t want to be the guy who hypes myself up and then doesn’t go out there and perform, so I just don’t say anything at all.”

As he was doing this interview, multiple teammates started shouting about how he should be in the Pro Bowl. The rosters will be announced next week, but Milano isn’t sure he’s earned it: “Personally, I feel like I still have to make more plays. I think I’m not even playing my best to be honest, at least as far as last year, as far as taking the ball away.”

Milano is in his 3rd year.  I'm hoping he stays healthy and stays with us for a long time.

Thanks for that read.  It really is refreshing to see the progressions of our young team, and humility sure goes a long way.  I absolutely love how much trust our entire defense has with one another.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Loved the kid from his 1st game. Even then, he showed Hyde he can run all the way down the field and PICK OFF a pass intended to specially beat him. He’s quiet, the Bills are quiet. Typically, this doesn’t translate to the Pro Bowl. 

But he’s very, very good!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Loved the kid from his 1st game. Even then, he showed Hyde he can run all the way down the field and PICK OFF a pass intended to specially beat him. He’s quiet, the Bills are quiet. Typically, this doesn’t translate to the Pro Bowl. 

He's gotta be one of the, if not the, most underrated player in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It's not like he would be going anyways since he will be playing in the Superbowl.

• Thank you (+1) 2

The Pats game earlier this year said a lot. Milano had to cover James White same play down the sideline. Yeah they got the completion the first time but Milano had perfect coverage! Second time he broke it up! Not many linebackers can do that. Hope we can get him long term!!

I so much more prefer players who don’t talk sh-t endlessly,  hyping oneself outside of “ I had a good game” doesn’t do ones rep any good. 

44 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We need to come up with another LB like him.  Alexander won't play well forever.

I think if Vic Beasley has proper coaching and in the right system, he can be that guy but better. He is more athletic and a better pass rusher. I just don't know much about his cover skills. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

...thought he was a bit smallish (better keep my day job) , but worth a shot in the 5th.....sure enough, McBeane & Co find another late gem......funny how some TBD'ers moaned when he was out with the injury only to return and be questioned as "a liability".......hmmmm....NOT...........

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I know from someone who teaches martial arts that Milano goes in for some one-on-one work during off days.  He is doing everything he can to improve his game.

• Thank you (+1) 2