Head Coaches in the last 50 years: Buffalo vs Pittsburgh

Motorin'

Not sure I will get them all but I will try - will skip interim ones for simplicity's sake:

Rauch, Saban, Ringo, Knox, Stephenson, Bullough, Levy, Philips, Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rex, McDermott

15?  Yikes

All kidding aside, since I’ve bren a fan: 

Greggo 

Mularky and Baloney, attorneys at law

Dicky J. 

The dougie

Sexy Rexy

Sean and Friends. 

With a smackering of interim coaches including:

Perry the platypus

Lynn is a boys name

and Beaver Van Pelt (but was he- I can’t remember....)

either way, not great bob....

Wow. I forgot the ancient of Days, mr Gailey.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Over the last 50 seasons of the NFL,  from 1969 to 2019, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had only 3 Head Coaches

Chuck Noll (1969-1991)

Bill Cowher (1991-2006)

Mike Tomlin (2006-Present)

Without looking, how many HC's have the Buffalo Bills had, and name them.

too many

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

With a smackering of interim coaches including:

Wondering if you meant smattering, but then got curious if "smackering" was even a word.

I did find it used here: “Oh Piglet, I wouldn’t mind a little smackering of something, oh Owl, would you by chance have any honey?”

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Not sure I will get them all but I will try - will skip interim ones for simplicity's sake:

Rauch, Saban, Ringo, Knox, Stephenson, Bullough, Levy, Philips, Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rex, McDermott

15?  Yikes

I think you're missing one or two, even if you don't count the interims.  I think there was one between Rauch and Saban.

46 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Over the last 50 seasons of the NFL,  from 1969 to 2019, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had only 3 Head Coaches

Chuck Noll (1969-1991)

Bill Cowher (1991-2006)

They gave up on Chuck Noll too soon IMO. 

• Haha (+1) 4

The Steelers have had 10 years in the last 50 where they have had a losing record (let that sink in for just a second).  There were probably others where they did not meet expectation.  The Rooney's knew they had the right plan and culture.  They stuck with it after hiring Chuck Noll.  They are always in contention.  I would be very pleased if the Bills could have close to that sustained excellence.  McDermott and Beane are both young.  This could be a 15+ year partnership.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think you're missing one or two, even if you don't count the interims.  I think there was one between Rauch and Saban.

Correct - forgot the estimable Harvey Johnson, a Ralph Wilson lackey - coached  1971after Rauch left & before Saban's return in 1972

Edited by freddyjj

I've always thought it's been pretty cool to see how Pittsburgh coaches have had such longevity. Like it or not, they've been one of the best run organizations in all of professional sports for a long time now.  And surely some other teams have had way more coaches than Buffalo during that time span. Without looking, I can only go back as far as when Levy replaced Stephenson, and then they went Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams (barf), Mike Mularkey (quitter), Dickie J, Perry Fewell, Uncle Chan, St. Douggie (quitter part deux!), Rexy (workin' 9 to noon!), Lynn, and The Clappinator. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Wondering if you meant smattering, but then got curious if "smackering" was even a word.

I did find it used here: “Oh Piglet, I wouldn’t mind a little smackering of something, oh Owl, would you by chance have any honey?”

86.3% or my vocabulary comes from Whinnie the Pooh, so that’s probably what happened...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Chuck Noll (1969-1991)

Bill Cowher (1991-2006)

Only from when I started watching..

Levy

Phillips

Williams

Mularkey

Jauron

Gailey

Fewell

Marrone

Ryan

Lynn

McDermott

Is this right? I'd be impressed with myself if it is. 

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is troll thread if there there was one. Who doesn’t know the Steelers have had just 2 coaches since Knoll’s Team of the 70’s?

OP just tryin’ to rouse rabble. I got my ? on you, son.

Of course I knew they've only had 3 coaches. It blew my mind that it's been 50 years. 

I'd love to see half of that organizational consistency for the bills over the next decade. 

This makes me wonder....

ASSUMING you have at least a halfway decent coach and give him 10 years, will you experience some sustained success? Hell, Marvin Lewis took the Bengals to multiple playoffs, but never won. 

IMO Cowher was just OK. He was good, but not some sort of all-time great. Lindy Ruff was the same thing in hockey. Great motivator, fan favorite, but mediocre head coach. But the Sabres did have some success under him. 

Tomlin is a better coach, especially for today's players. Coaches used to get multiple losing seasons before they got fired. Now it's win in 2-3 years or you're gone.

There is a LOT to be said for having a system, drafting players for that system, and having some consistency in approach, methods, messaging.

I'd like to see McDermott be here for 10+ years. He's proven to be a great strategic coach, he can motivate players, and beyond that it comes down to talent IMO. 

Edited by TheFunPolice