Peloton commercial controversy

RochesterRob

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

There should be outrage that there's enough American Idiots who will spend $3K on a ***** stationary bike ... not the commercial.

What's even funnier is that Peloton initially sold the bike for something like $695 and it didn't sell well.  Then when they jacked-up the price without changing anything else, it started to sell. :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's even funnier is that Peloton initially sold the bike for something like $695 and it didn't sell well.  Then when they jacked-up the price without changing anything else, it started to sell. :rolleyes:

That's the key to elitism and something I learned while taking a marketing class at Cornell many years ago.  And these businesses watch the profits roll in which I have nothing against.  I just wish that consumers would look at all the information before making choices because there is a shocking lack of value in many food and clothing products.  Not sure of the cost structure any more but it used to cost GM to build a Corvette the same as it did to build a Malibu.  Yeah, I get that the Vette has a certain appeal that the Malibu lacks but knowing the building cost a consumer has to feel just a little ripped off when they sign for a Vette.

14 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is the state of affairs today.  The fact that this is even a story is sad. Not everything needs to be an argument. 

This is a 3 part plan and is going exceptionally well.

Part 1 - Peleton bike.

Part 2 - Literally Handmaid's Tale

Part 3 - Happiness

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

It’s not even the bike that is expensive. You have to pay $40 per month for the classes (@Augie : same for the mirror).

when you are paying those hefty monthly fees at that point, why not instead just join a gym and avoid the costs of the machines? 

I’m a big “workout at home” person myself, but I have a 10-year old $300 exercise bike, some dumb bells and light weights I got for $20 off of craigslist, and a yoga app with unlimited classes where I pay $19/year. 

FYI - the classes are not required.  I have a ProForm TdF bike/trainer and I'm not signed up for any classes.  I tee up some cycling training videos on YouTube.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Commercial had that vibe. I'm neither part of the target market nor the outrage.

Last year we had the car commercial where the male (I can't assume husband in this day and age - amirite?) surprises the female with trucks for each of them for Xmas. Except she demands the truck he intended for himself through multiple "I love its". I thought she was a controlling, ungrateful, me-first b!tch. I never once considered a social media campaign to raise awareness of the despicable nature of her kind .

And that's all I have to say about that.

That commercial is back this year, too. 

6 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

These "news" stories are a bunch of rubbish.  There are probably about 1000 people on the internet who are "outraged" by this.  First, being outraged on the internet is a joke.  Next, does anyone on this board know anyone who was offended?  When these stories come up in conversation I never speak or know anyone who is outraged.  It is a very small percentage of the population and the media grabs onto the story.  

I would guess about .0003% of the population is outraged.

Image result for karen manager meme

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

FYI - the classes are not required.  I have a ProForm TdF bike/trainer and I'm not signed up for any classes.  I tee up some cycling training videos on YouTube.

It’s a frigging bicycle.  I learned to ride one at 5 years old without any goddamn videos. 

5 hours ago, dpberr said:

Just wait until Kitchenaid unveils their mixer ads where hubby gifts a stand mixer to the Mrs. with the tagline "Get bakin' woman!"

Good point BUT, as a person who bought a Kitchen Aid, for his wife. for Christmas, I can say that it's the gift she most wanted, and was very pleased with it.  If you go with what she wants, and you can afford it, it's definitely the path to take.

I propose they make a Peloton commercial with a whale of a woman who is married to a smoking hot dude who is always trying to convince his fat tub of a wife to get off the damn bike and eat some gravy but she doesnt.  Because she loves her Peloton so much!  And then he leaves her.

From what I've been told, women hate the commercial because:

1. The girl is already hot and thin.  She has no weight to lose and they resent her for her looks and scoff at the idea that she would ever be uncomfortable exercising at home or in public.  

2. She seems nervous at first, so obviously its because her husband is forcing her to ride the bike and enforcing some unattainable level of beauty/perfection while hes probably a slob himself.  There's no other explanation for her nerves, because, well, see above.

3.  There is no difference in her appearance at the end of her training regimen because she was already hot and thin.

My kid and his wife got one and he's thin downed but still can crank the weights.

My daughter-in-law, well I look at her and feel like I shouldn't look at her like that. 

That bike has transformed them. They are lean, but it is a healthy strong look. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anyway... Ain't a "peloton" a French biking mob, spandex mafia?  Who wants to be a controlled lemming in a peloton? Aren't they like Trump Deplorables?  Ooops, my bad.

Those things aren't cheap.  Like 2-3 grand or more... For an exercise bike with virtual capability to take you high in the Alps.  LoL... The Rich get all the cool toys!

I had one years ago and keyed up an obscure race in Bloomington.  I was doing quite well, keeping up with a pack of Italians, when one of the Italian riders came up next to me and shoved something into the spokes on the front wheel.   Totally destroyed the bike and didn't do me much good either.?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

From what I've been told, women hate the commercial because:

1. The girl is already hot and thin.  She has no weight to lose and they resent her for her looks and scoff at the idea that she would ever be uncomfortable exercising at home or in public.  

2. She seems nervous at first, so obviously its because her husband is forcing her to ride the bike and enforcing some unattainable level of beauty/perfection while hes probably a slob himself.  There's no other explanation for her nerves, because, well, see above.

3.  There is no difference in her appearance at the end of her training regimen because she was already hot and thin.

I had a girlfriend who was hot and thin.  But, she was "skinny fat" - she had zero muscle tone................What should I have got her?  

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

My kid and his wife got one and he's thin downed but still can crank the weights.

My daughter-in-law, well I look at her and feel like I shouldn't look at her like that. 

The old Seinfeld trope about looking directly into the sun (he specifically was talking about cleavage) when checking out an inappropriate to the observer female applies here.  Think of Rosanne Barr circa 1990, Rosie O'Donnell, or the female Monroe "Brother" from Green Acres to keep Mr Mojo from rising.  It's tougher if the subject is touchy-feely as I have been exposed to a few times.  Most of the time it is innocent but one time the woman in question was definitely trying to get a rise out of me.  Another time an old high school crush showed up at my place of work in an extremely hot outfit that she would not normally wear to my recollection.  I had to excuse myself and go to the rest room to splash very cold water on my face.

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

I’m in fairly decent shape. Ran a 1/2 marathon few weeks ago, play hockey, etc. The workouts I’ve done on that bike have blown any other cardio type training out of the water. If you do some of the longer intense workouts, you have my ultimate respect. First time I used it; I did a 30 min beginner ride and thought I was going to die after. I literally had to lay down and not move for prob 30 min. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’m in fairly decent shape. Ran a 1/2 marathon few weeks ago, play hockey, etc. The workouts I’ve done on that bike have blown any other cardio type training out of the water. If you do some of the longer intense workouts, you have my ultimate respect. First time I used it; I did a 30 min beginner ride and thought I was going to die after. I literally had to lay down and not move for prob 30 min. 

we have one and man does it do a great job of keeping laundry off the floor! Wife bought it a couple of years ago. I have comitted to myself I am going to get back in fighting shape as soon as the Bills season ends, and hopefully do a half ironman sometime late spring/early summer. So i am going to be using that thing to start riding before i jump on my real bike.

BTW, committed to doing a half marathon in Columbus with my daughter and her crew from Dennison in April..you should think about it!

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

we have one and man does it do a great job of keeping laundry off the floor! Wife bought it a couple of years ago. I have comitted to myself I am going to get back in fighting shape as soon as the Bills season ends, and hopefully do a half ironman sometime late spring/early summer. So i am going to be using that thing to start riding before i jump on my real bike.

BTW, committed to doing a half marathon in Columbus with my daughter and her crew from Dennison in April..you should think about it!

Cap city half! I think we are going to do it actually . My wife is for sure. Should grab a beer after! 

• Like (+1) 1