Peloton commercial controversy

RochesterRob

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But who am I to tell them how to spend their disposable money... It is a free country.

I would never tell anyone how to spend the money that they've earned.

I'm sure I've spent $3000 on something/things that others would consider to be idiotic.

I wonder how many of these things have been purchased just to keep up with the Joneses.   

"You know ... Biff's wife has one and so does Skip's.  Buffy brags about hers all the time ... she even said that Clive bought her one for the basement and one for the study.  How will I ever be able to show face at the tennis club if everyone has a Peleton except me?"

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm sure I've spent $3000 on something/things that others would consider to be idiotic.

I wonder how many of these things have been purchased just to keep up with the Joneses.   

"You know ... Biff's wife has one and so does Skip's.  Buffy brags about hers all the time ... she even said that Clive bought her one for the basement and one for the study.  How will I ever be able to show face at the tennis club if everyone has a Peleton except me?"

Yeah... I got no problem if people do it for the love of it... Truly enjoy it, spend away.  But, Jonsing is so not in my mindset.

We all waste money on crap... But do it for yourself... Not because of others.

Jonsing is hard to prove though. And easy to call out.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... I got no problem if people do it for the love of it... Truly enjoy it, spend away.  But, Jonsing is so not in my mindset.

I’m guessing most people buying them are thinking they are like gym memberships. They mean well when they do it, and they are not trying to impress anyone. Six months later, they realize......

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's fun for me is the distinction between what wifey and i consider to be 'wasting money'.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

There should be outrage that there's enough American Idiots who will spend $3K on a ***** stationary bike ... not the commercial.

It’s not even the bike that is expensive. You have to pay $40 per month for the classes (@Augie : same for the mirror).

when you are paying those hefty monthly fees at that point, why not instead just join a gym and avoid the costs of the machines? 

I’m a big “workout at home” person myself, but I have a 10-year old $300 exercise bike, some dumb bells and light weights I got for $20 off of craigslist, and a yoga app with unlimited classes where I pay $19/year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am not even on social media... Knew nothing of it until a co-worker told me.

I could have guessed it... The commercial is very weird.  I seen commercial and inwas like: "Huh?"

What focus group were they using?  All coastal elites?

You're on social media right now.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I knew the commercial was kind of obnoxious but who knew that people were getting downright angry about it.  I'm talking about the one where the husband gets his wife a stationary bike and we see a quick synopsis of the next year of her riding it.  She shows a range of emotion from nervousness to pride when the "coach" mentions her name.  I thought the commercial was over the top with the emotionalism but some criticize it because they thought it was sexist (she needs to work out but not him), that the husband was abusive for "forcing" her to ride, or ridiculous because the wife was already fit.  I guess that the actress has received a lot of criticism and some being emotionally charged.  It's one thing to ridicule a commercial but another to have a meltdown over it.  

I've seen that commercial a lot lately but never paid close enough attention to really know what was happening in the commercial.

Too busy checking out the wife.

Those Peloton commercials have some of the hottest totty on TV.

$1,995

$1,995 for the bike (supposedly sold at cost, according to a 2015 Bloomberg Businessweek article), not including sales tax, which in New York adds nearly $200. $250 delivery and setup fee. $125 for Peloton cycling shoes. $468 for membership ($39 a month), required for the first year.Dec 2, 2019

Peloton shares could be headed to $5, short-seller Citron Research says

Peloton Interactive Software Inc. shares were down more than 6% in Tuesday trading after short-seller Citron Research penned a negative report on the maker of exercise equipment, arguing that its stock could be headed for a slide of more than 80%.

The Citron analysts, who set a $5 price target on the stock

Peloton’s stock went public in late September at an offering price of $29. Shares were trading near $32.50 Tuesday afternoon. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/peloton-shares-could-be-headed-to-5-short-seller-citron-research-says-2019-12-10

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

There should be outrage that there's enough American Idiots who will spend $3K on a ***** stationary bike ... not the commercial.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Gug, no need to stereotype. . 

My my favorite author Tom Robbins has a quote I internalized a long time ago, like in college.

To wit

The rich are the most discriminated against class we have. Everyone assumes because one has money, they must be #######. But let me tell you this..,while it is true I Know plenty of rich #######, I also know plenty of poor #######. At least the rich ####### can buy their own drinks. 

Truer words Have never been spoken. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My my favorite author Tom Robbins has a quote I internalized a long time ago, like in college.

To wit

The rich are the most discriminated against class we have. Everyone assumes because one has money, they must be #######. But let me tell you this..,while it is true I Know plenty of rich #######, I also know plenty of poor #######. At least the rich ####### can buy their own drinks. 

If you take stereotyping away from me, why don't you just go ahead and shoot me!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

These "news" stories are a bunch of rubbish.  There are probably about 1000 people on the internet who are "outraged" by this.  First, being outraged on the internet is a joke.  Next, does anyone on this board know anyone who was offended?  When these stories come up in conversation I never speak or know anyone who is outraged.  It is a very small percentage of the population and the media grabs onto the story.  

I would guess about .0003% of the population is outraged.

• Like (+1) 1

Some people love to exercise.  Other skin thinned people like to B word about what other people enjoy.  If I got my girl a pelaton for Christmas, she would be so pumped.  But she spins and exercises.  These ***** should go after real bs commercials like nonsequitur drug and beer commercials 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:
$1,995

$1,995 for the bike (supposedly sold at cost, according to a 2015 Bloomberg Businessweek article), not including sales tax, which in New York adds nearly $200. $250 delivery and setup fee. $125 for Peloton cycling shoes. $468 for membership ($39 a month), required for the first year.Dec 2, 2019

Treadmill is $4000, plus the $39 a month. Presumably any running shoes will do. They advertise the monthly subscription as just a little more than one boutique fitness class costs. Not sure what makes a fitness class "boutique," but my gym membership is $20 a month which includes classes like yoga, zumba, etc.

But if you have the money, spend it on whatever you want. And if your wife looks like the woman in the commercial, might be worth the cost to keep her away from guys like me in the gym.

Edited by Steve O

This whole thing is so stupid!!  Any Married person knows that you get your wife whatever she asks for at Christmas   If she asked for a Peloton, and you can afford it, why not?  She'll be happy and your life will be a whole lot easier, at least for a while.

I understand that there's also a "monthly fee," to receive whatever is streamed to the bike.:doh:

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

To wit

As regions go... And who struggles the most to hustle a buck...

New England is the biggest rat race on planet... Everybody thinks they are doing the best there... Very Coastal Elite... But when you factor it all in... #1 region where the hustle and struggle is on the most.  Pretty though.  Very nice. But work at it.

Yep... And it's all Blue States.

Appearances are just that... Appearances.

56 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Just wait until Kitchenaid unveils their mixer ads where hubby gifts a stand mixer to the Mrs. with the tagline "Get bakin' woman!"

I think that McMahon-Tate came up with that slogan.

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This whole thing is so stupid!!  Any Married person knows that you get your wife whatever she asks for at Christmas   If she asked for a Peloton, and you can afford it, why not?  She'll be happy and your life will be a whole lot easier, at least for a while.

I understand that there's also a "monthly fee," to receive whatever is streamed to the bike.:doh:

Yes, it is stupid to be mad over the commercial which I am not.  I think that it is the theater of the absurd.  As far as pleasing the wife that is something that most of us here understand but that is not all the men out there.  There are guys out there and I have met them who believe that they are the undisputed lord of the manor and the wife will do as she is told.  

Edited by RochesterRob