Peloton commercial controversy

RochesterRob

I knew the commercial was kind of obnoxious but who knew that people were getting downright angry about it.  I'm talking about the one where the husband gets his wife a stationary bike and we see a quick synopsis of the next year of her riding it.  She shows a range of emotion from nervousness to pride when the "coach" mentions her name.  I thought the commercial was over the top with the emotionalism but some criticize it because they thought it was sexist (she needs to work out but not him), that the husband was abusive for "forcing" her to ride, or ridiculous because the wife was already fit.  I guess that the actress has received a lot of criticism and some being emotionally charged.  It's one thing to ridicule a commercial but another to have a meltdown over it.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I knew the commercial was kind of obnoxious but who knew that people were getting downright angry about it.  I'm talking about the one where the husband gets his wife a stationary bike and we see a quick synopsis of the next year of her riding it.  She shows a range of emotion from nervousness to pride when the "coach" mentions her name.  I thought the commercial was over the top with the emotionalism but some criticize it because they thought it was sexist (she needs to work out but not him), that the husband was abusive for "forcing" her to ride, or ridiculous because the wife was already fit.  I guess that the actress has received a lot of criticism and some being emotionally charged.  It's one thing to ridicule a commercial but another to have a meltdown over it.  

This is the state of affairs today.  The fact that this is even a story is sad. Not everything needs to be an argument. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Did not know that the Peloton woman was already being discussed in the commercial women thread as I have not checked in there for a while.  I'll leave this up for those that want to discuss why people are up in arms about the commercial or just want to ridicule it. 

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

No such thing as bad press?  I wonder if Peloton actually p!ssed off their target market. Not saying it happened here but it would be genius if their target market was offended by all the outrage.

Probably pissed off some of their target market.  Women who feel that they don't need  no stinkin' man to run their lives for example.  There be plenty of wives or girlfriends of rich men to take their place I would imagine.

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Probably pissed off some of their target market.  Women who feel that they don't need  no stinkin' man to run their lives for example.  There be plenty of wives or girlfriends of rich men to take their place I would imagine.

Commercial had that vibe. I'm neither part of the target market nor the outrage.

Last year we had the car commercial where the male (I can't assume husband in this day and age - amirite?) surprises the female with trucks for each of them for Xmas. Except she demands the truck he intended for himself through multiple "I love its". I thought she was a controlling, ungrateful, me-first b!tch. I never once considered a social media campaign to raise awareness of the despicable nature of her kind .

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am not even on social media... Knew nothing of it until a co-worker told me.

I could have guessed it... The commercial is very weird.  I seen commercial and inwas like: "Huh?"

What focus group were they using?  All coastal elites?

Coastal elites?  Pretty much I would guess.  

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Commercial had that vibe. I'm neither part of the target market nor the outrage.

Last year we had the car commercial where the male (I can't assume husband in this day and age - amirite?) surprises the female with trucks for each of them for Xmas. Except she demands the truck he intended for himself through multiple "I love its". I thought she was a controlling, ungrateful, me-first b!tch. I never once considered a social media campaign to raise awareness of the despicable nature of her kind .

And that's all I have to say about that.

Another obnoxious commercial.  Probably 85,000-90,000 dollars worth of vehicles sitting there or more.  How many WNYers could splurge like that?  I drive an old pickup but that is partly due to me being cheap and partly due to my Cornell professors educating me on the best use of money.  I've bought plenty of low mileage vehicles but never have bought one completely new off of the lot.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Coastal elites?  Pretty much I would guess.  

Yeah... But she was skinny, fit to begin with... How did it transform her life?  Maybe loading the virtual biking through various parts of the world?  How does that tramsform your life?

People with disposable income and gratuitous avtivity time. ??

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But she was skinny, fit to begin with... How did it transform her life?  Maybe loading the virtual biking through various parts of the world?  How does that tramsform your life?

Probably was a break from her six figure job that calls for 84 hours per week plus bossing the nanny around while home.  

• Haha (+1) 2

Anyway... Ain't a "peloton" a French biking mob, spandex mafia?  Who wants to be a controlled lemming in a peloton? Aren't they like Trump Deplorables?  Ooops, my bad.

Probably was a break from her six figure job that calls for 84 hours per week plus bossing the nanny around while home.  

Those things aren't cheap.  Like 2-3 grand or more... For an exercise bike with virtual capability to take you high in the Alps.  LoL... The Rich get all the cool toys!

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anyway... Ain't a "peloton" a French biking mob, spandex mafia?  Who wants to be a controlled lemming in a peloton? Aren't they like Trump Deplorables?  Ooops, my bad.

Yep, a French biking mob.  Your life has to suck fairly bad to get self esteem from a Peloton in my mind.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Those things aren't cheap.  Like 2-3 grand or more... For an exercise bike with virtual capability to take you high in the Alps.  LoL... The Rich get all the cool toys!

Did not know they had virtual capability.  I thought it was husky voiced life coaches riding their own bike in the studio by and large.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yep, a French biking mob.  Your life has to suck fairly bad to get self esteem from a Peloton in my mind.

Did not know they had virtual capability.  I thought it was husky voiced life coaches riding their own bike in the studio by and large.

Don't quote me on it... Just listening to what a co-worker said.  I am under the impression you can upload different courses... All over the world.  Like a biking, touring simulator.  Of course for bookoo bucks more!

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You've fallen into the trap. Why do you care whether or if it transformed her life? And yet you do.

It's a freakin commercial. Could be aimed at any one. Sometimes you, sometimes not you.

Edited by SinceThe70s

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

No such thing as bad press?  I wonder if Peloton actually p!ssed off their target market. Not saying it happened here but it would be genius if their target market was offended by all the outrage.

The people who bought after the stock tanked are smiling all the way to New Years! It was “bad” publicity, but most people said it was a great product.

My wife got a rather expensive “Mirror” to hang on the wall of the She Cave. It’s a work out thing with a WIDE variety of exercises possible. Videos can show up in the mirror. Whatever!  Hey, I didn’t do it! What an impossible person to buy for! If she wants it, she gets it, so I’m left to buy things she doesn’t want....and screw that! 

As I get older I want to trade. I want fewer things and more experiences. I don’t need another sweater, but hot air ballooning or some other crazy stuff would be cool. My sister and her family skipped birthdays and Christmas one year, upped the ante a bit and spent Christmas in Paris. Lousy weather, cheap off season, but a family trip to Paris. 

I have no friggin’ idea what I got that year, nor do I care. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

The people who bought after the stock tanked are smiling all the way to New Years! It was “bad” publicity, but most people said it was a great product.

My wife got a rather expensive “Mirror” to hang on the wall of the She Cave. It’s a work out thing with a WIDE variety of exercises possible. Videos can show up Inn the mirror. Whatever!  Hey, I didn’t do it! What an impossible person to buy for! If she wants it, she gets it, so I’m left to buy things she doesn’t want....and screw that! 

As I get older I want to trade. I want fewer things and more experiences. I don’t need another sweater, but hot air ballooning or some other crazy stuff would be cool. My sister and her family skipped birthdays and Christmas one year, upped the ante a bit and spent Christmas in Paris. Lousy weather, cheap off season, but a family trip to Paris. 

I have no friggin’ idea what I got that year, nor do I care. 

We pretty much quit giving each other gifts a long time ago. Put it towards trips instead.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There should be outrage that there's enough American Idiots who will spend $3K on a ***** stationary bike ... not the commercial.

I did say pretty much...We have one ??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

There should be outrage that there's enough American Idiots who will spend $3K on a ***** stationary bike ... not the commercial.

How do you feel about.....mirrors? 

About half the price, and it might get used for exercise (yoga, Pilates, kick boxing videos, etc.) a few times before it is......just an ugly mirror on the wall. 

I choose my battles wisely. The key to a long and happy marriage. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1