PFF's anti-Josh Allen agenda continues, calls Duck Hodges "the better QB"

Wayne Arnold

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who are you and what have you done with biscuit

I’m the same rational awesome poster as always. ? when this board tries to compare Allen with Mahomes, it is looney tunes.  But To say ? is better?  Well that is outright insane.  

and Allen better prove me right!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

PFF are just dumbass keyboard warriors who constantly try to save face on their opinions. Josh Allen could win MVP and they would still say he sucks. 

Josh Allen and the bills win Super Bowl LIV 

PFF- “Well Allen only threw for 215 yards and had a turnover worthy ball on 10% of his drop backs so we really can’t call this a quality win for him.” 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hodges TD % this season :  5.0% of his throws are TDs

JA TD % this season: 4.2% of his throws are TDs

And again, given a guess at the better future, I and nearly everyone else would take Josh. But the question PFF raises is who is playing better right now. I think it's very fair to argue that that's Hodges. He's really doing a good job.

rough take here and indicative of the kind of poorly thought out surface analysis stuff that PFF would claim to be above.

Hodges has thrown far less balls than Allen has this season so comparing their TD % without sample sizes is a joke.

How about Matt Haack? His TD % is 100% this year clearly making him 20 times as effective as hodges and upwards of 25x the QB Allen is.

Not to mention the thought that much like with Lamar Jackson, the Steelers don't ask Hodges to pass to get the ball down the field so meaning he is getting a higher percentage of his passes in a place that where the likelyhood of throwing a touchdown is increases (redzone)

Analytics would tell you that they go beyond traditional statistics so quoting them in defense of bad takes is just ridiculous.

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This made my jaw drop

Why?

He has an all-pro, highly experienced OL protecting him.   The least experienced OLman on the team has 5 years.  Pouncy, Decastro, Foster, Villanueva - they're among the best.  He has total faith in his OL because he should.

Hodges is doing a good job with what Pitts is asking him to do.  But he's thrown for 132, 212, and 152 yds.  He's throwing 20 passes per game. 

Josh Allen was 14 of 20 for 70% completions, 160 yds and 1 TD and all we heard was that he wasn't generating enough offense and making enough plays with his arm.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

He has an all-pro, highly experienced OL protecting him.   The least experienced OLman on the team has 5 years.  Pouncy, Decastro, Foster, Villanueva - they're among the best.

He has total faith in his OL because he should.

Not saying their line isn’t good but Pouncey has been a disaster this season

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's no question that we wish Josh took more of the easy passes early on in the Ravens game.  To be fair, it has to be acknowledged that none of us know why (we only know that the passes were there, at least some of the time) and that his receivers, at times, have been helping him leave passing yards on the field by dropping catchable balls. 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will also repeat that when we see the ball drop 5 yds beyond the WR, we don't know why; was it overthrown, or did the WR (for whatever reason) run a different or slower route than he did in practice?  It's been acknowledged that the Ravens DB were slowing Brown by getting their hands on him and pressing his pads.  In his post-game presser, Brown actually commented "they got away with a lot" as far as PI (which you don't like to hear from your #1 WR),  but he's correct, and it can be seen a lot on the film.  And frankly, where Allen clearly had a pocket and time on a couple throws and missed Brown, the contribution from route running puzzles me - there's one puzzling throw across the middle where Brown is open all the way, but seems to slow up as Allen prepares to throw to him.  It looks to me as though Allen's throw is placed where he would be if he didn't slow up and also to thread between defenders if it misses, which it did.    (Allen's footwork also sucks, but I've long given up on trying to figure out how that contributes.  Allen zings stuff in there when his feet look awful and misses when his technique looks good to me, I'm at DammifIknow by now)

Year in and year out, we fans scoff at the drop numbers that show up saying "he drops more than that!" and yet even with very conservative scoring of "what is a drop?", Josh Allen is leading the league in drops right now at 6.8%.  His TE, and the TE is usually the most sure-handed receiver on the team, is leading the league with 20% drops.

So to be the Devil's Advocate to your Devil's Advocate, I have to say that while I too, wish that Josh took more easy completions in the Ravens game, overall the performance in that and other games is NOT all on him, and measurably less so than on some other teams.

Amen to all of this.  If they'd caught half of those drops his completion percentage would be around 64-65% this year.  6.8% is a lot of drops!

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

He has an all-pro, highly experienced OL protecting him.   The least experienced OLman on the team has 5 years.  Pouncy, Decastro, Foster, Villanueva - they're among the best.  He has total faith in his OL because he should.

Hodges is doing a good job with what Pitts is asking him to do.  But he's thrown for 132, 212, and 152 yds.  He's throwing 20 passes per game. 

Josh Allen was 14 of 20 for 70% completions, 160 yds and 1 TD and all we heard was that he wasn't generating enough offense and making enough plays with his arm.

For some reason, a part of DCOrange's post didn't show up when I quoted him. It was the following commentary from the PFF article. I honestly couldn't believe PFF was of this opinion. 

Counterpoint (EE): This is for all you doubters out there (yeah, I’m talking to you, PFF_Steve).  All of you who think that throwing the ball accurately is more important in today’s NFL than having the arm strength to send the ball clear out of bounds in those stiff Buffalo winds. You idiots who don’t appreciate Mose Schrute’s brother frolicking through defenses on long-yardage plays en route to leading the league’s 26th-best offense. Those of you who mock and ridicule the decision to draft an ineffective college passer from the Mountain West more than 20 spots ahead of a Heisman Trophy winner than may soon be the NFL’s MVP.  THIS ONE’S FOR YOU.

Sure, the Steelers have what may very well be the league’s best defense.  Yeah, they may be getting back one of the league’s most dynamic young receivers to join a stable full of emerging talent that also includes Diontae Johnson and James Washington.  Yes, we know Heinz Field is one of the league’s premier home-field advantages. None of that is going to matter Sunday night when our boss slides into view, because Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen is on a roll.  Only 31 starting quarterbacks have a better negatively graded throw rate than Allen. This is the game they drafted him for.

15 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I understand why PFF would be skeptical of Allen, but it's hard to believe anyone actually thinks Hodges is the better player. 

Coming from you good sir, I know that is high praise indeed! :D Welcome to the "Right Josh" camp, the water's just fine! 

15 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I partly disagree.

There's no reason Hodges can't get better (unlikely but he looks like a 10 year backup as his floor). 

Allen probably won't get worse, but who knows if he can correct his flaws. 

I spoke too soon. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

partly the reason I'm so annoyed with the hodges love fest.... now lets go a step further and ask what people would say if allen had that stat line against the worst freaking defense in football like hodges did vs. Zona.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why is this so shocking?

Hodges is playing great. High completion percentage, high YPA, he's playing very well indeed.

That's one guess. It may well be correct re: Hodges after people get a read on him, but we're not really sure what we have with Allen yet, and since we've seen him play worse, this isn't Allen's floor.

If I had to pick one of them for the future I'd absolutely pick Josh, but right now it's fair to say that Hodges is playing better, IMO, though I haven't watched all of his throws.

It’s not shocking. It’s just dumb. And worth pointing out for the laugh.

And I say this knowing full well that Allen has a helluva long way to go and the Steelers may well win the game on Sunday night. But that doesn’t mean they have the better QB.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I actually like both quarterbacks.  Josh having a bright future doesn't preclude Duck from having a good career as well.  Duck's mobile, accurate and has a strong arm.  He's already way better than 2nd rounder Mason Rudolph.  

Duck is Tyler Thigpen and after this season we’ll never hear from him ever again.