PFF's anti-Josh Allen agenda continues, calls Duck Hodges "the better QB"

Wayne Arnold

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why is this so shocking?

Hodges is playing great. High completion percentage, high YPA, he's playing very well indeed.

Hodges TD per game this season - 0.8

JA TD per game this season - 1.92

And we're in a better position for the playoffs.

I don't man, I'm sure there are some wonky advanced stats that can show a better snapshot of Hodges right now, but Allen can undoubtedly take it to another level that I guarantee Duck can't. Give me Allen all day. Nobody cares about Eric Eager's opinion, including his mother.

• Like (+1) 3

I mean sure...let's crown his ass after three complete games vs. Chargers, Browns, and Cards plus a couple quarters vs. Ravens and Bungles. Maybe Devlin needs to play a little more before he's considered better than any regular starter.

Allen still has a lot to prove. There are going to be legitimate doubters until he proves he can be the reason we're winning. There are a lot of games where he's only doing just enough, and others where he's falling way short.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

To be fair when Josh Allen is bad he’s a bottom 3 QB (30-32). Allen is yet to register a 300 yard game & has generally been a midrange QB this year. Duck Hodges is the #28 QB on a good or bad day. 

I continue to "not get it" why people are so obsessed with 300 yd games.

There are two QB in the NFL this year who are AVERAGING over 300 ypg.  That would be Dak Prescott and Jameis Winston. 

Both of their teams have records of 6-7.  Why is this number a valuable metric for QB performance?

Winston has also thrown 26 TD.  26 TD!  Wow!  Second in the NFL!  Except, when you learn he's thrown 23 INTs, it doesn't sound so good.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think it is an agenda. Via the numbers, TD, TD:INT, Per Attempt, and Comp %, he is playing better over 4 games, than Josh has over 13 this season. The sample size is small. It is a bit of click bait, but it isn't necessarily wrong, and does not mean that their careers will follow that trajectory. He is bound to lay

No need to get our panties in a bunch. He is bound to lay a few clunkers against Buffalo and Baltimore...god knows what happens in that Jets game. The numbers will play out. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I continue to "not get it" why people are so obsessed with 300 yd games.

There are two QB in the NFL this year who are AVERAGING over 300 ypg.  That would be Dak Prescott and Jameis Winston. 

Both of their teams have records of 6-7.  Why is this number a valuable metric for QB performance?

Winston has also thrown 26 TD.  26 TD!  Wow!  Second in the NFL!  Except, when you learn he's thrown 23 INTs, it doesn't sound so good.

At this point I do want him to have a 300 yd game not because it matters but because I'm sick of hearing about it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

At this point I do want him to have a 300 yd game not because it matters but because I'm sick of hearing about it.

But it's so pointless; if he has a 300 yd game, people will start talking about how many he has, or still just ignore it.

People were all whiny that Josh hadn't completed a single long pass, not one pass over 20 yds all season.  Now he's completed some, it's about how many.

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think it is an agenda. Via the numbers, TD, TD:INT, Per Attempt, and Comp %, he is playing better over 4 games, than Josh has over 13 this season. The sample size is small. It is a bit of click bait, but it isn't necessarily wrong, and does not mean that their careers will follow that trajectory. He is bound to lay

No need to get our panties in a bunch. He is bound to lay a few clunkers against Buffalo and Baltimore...god knows what happens in that Jets game. The numbers will play out. 

It’s worse than wrong; it’s stupid and it’s indicative of the kind of analysis that plagues the NFL these days. I can guarantee whoever wrote that hasn’t watched enough of Allen and certainly hasn’t watched Hodges to conclude that.

I’ve seen all his throws. He doesn’t do anything very well. He was their third stringer for a reason and while I think he’s playing better than Rudolph, acting like it isn’t ridiculous to say he’s better than Allen just means you haven’t seen him play. He throws safe passes underneath and a couple 50/50 bombs that his receivers help him out with occasionally. He is in no way shape or form a better QB than Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But it's so pointless; if he has a 300 yd game, people will start talking about how many he has, or still just ignore it.

People were all whiny that Josh hadn't completed a single long pass, not one pass over 20 yds all season.  Now he's completed some, it's about how many.

Yeah that's probably true I mean these PFF guys have had to grudgingly say Allen has been playing well the last three games but he has a bad game against a top defense and now he's worse than the Steelers 3rd string QB.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s worse than wrong; it’s stupid and it’s indicative of the kind of analysis that plagues the NFL these days. I can guarantee whoever wrote that hasn’t watched enough of Allen and certainly hasn’t watched Hodges to conclude that.

I’ve seen all his throws. He doesn’t do anything very well. He was their third stringer for a reason and while I think he’s playing better than Rudolph, acting like it isn’t ridiculous to say he’s better than Allen just means you haven’t seen him play. He throws safe passes underneath and a couple 50/50 bombs that his receivers help him out with occasionally. He is in no way shape or form a better QB than Allen.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I would much rather have Josh than Duck moving forward. I think Josh is a better QB because of his legs, his arm strength, and his intangibles.  But to play devils advocate, I think we all wish that in the Baltimore game Josh took some more safe underneath stuff, and that his bombs were 50/50 balls (which they weren't). You don't get bonus points for missing more difficult throws vs. completing easier passes. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think people want or expect him to throw 300 yards week in or week out. Or at least I don't, you become too one dimensional all the time. Rather would like to see him own a game if we do need to go there in a shoot out. 

Not to rehash old wounds/threads, but Josh is pushing pretty low on the list of starts to 300 yards. Right now he is at 24. The only QB's since 1998 who lasted 6 years and/or had 20 starts in the league who failed to hit a 300 yard game by now are: 

Vince Young (25)

Charlie Batch (27)

Tyrod Taylor (29)

Alex Smith (36

David Garrard (40)

Seneca Wallace (never)

Kellen Clemens (never)

Trent Edwards (never)

David Fales (never)

Again- hitting early doesn't mean anything, but it seems hitting late is not great. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

300 yard game from Josh likely means he had to throw more which probably means we lost. Let's save that for next year when we can afford it. I'll take efficient Josh who punks defenders with his legs and throws darts in the short to medium areas of the field. I'm way more concerned with the status of his ankle. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think people want or expect him to throw 300 yards week in or week out. Or at least I don't, you become too one dimensional all the time. Rather would like to see him own a game if we do need to go there in a shoot out. 

Not to rehash old wounds/threads, but Josh is pushing pretty low on the list of starts to 300 yards. Right now he is at 24. The only QB's since 1998 who lasted 6 years and/or had 20 starts in the league who failed to hit a 300 yard game by now are: 

Vince Young (25)

Charlie Batch (27)

Tyrod Taylor (29)

Alex Smith (36

David Garrard (40)

Seneca Wallace (never)

Kellen Clemens (never)

Trent Edwards (never)

David Fales (never)

Again- hitting early doesn't mean anything, but it seems hitting late is not great. 

Why would any Bills fan who knows anything about this team worry about 300 yard passing from Allen? We don’t get into shootouts and we don’t have garbage time. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Why would any Bills fan who knows anything about this team worry about 300 yard passing from Allen? We don’t get into shootouts and we don’t have garbage time. 

You are absolutely right, currently the case. But when you look the current QB market, and young guys coming off their rookie deals are taking up to 20% of the teams cap space, you will most likely either get into garbage time or get into shootouts. 

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

Hodges TD per game this season - 0.8

JA TD per game this season - 1.92

And we're in a better position for the playoffs.

I don't man, I'm sure there are some wonky advanced stats that can show a better snapshot of Hodges right now, but Allen can undoubtedly take it to another level that I guarantee Duck can't. Give me Allen all day. Nobody cares about Eric Eager's opinion, including his mother.

Hodges TD % this season :  5.0% of his throws are TDs

JA TD % this season: 4.2% of his throws are TDs

And again, given a guess at the better future, I and nearly everyone else would take Josh. But the question PFF raises is who is playing better right now. I think it's very fair to argue that that's Hodges. He's really doing a good job.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree with this save for I think it is a little unfair to the Duck on the deep balls. A couple of those have been really nice throws. I actually think his deep ball is one of his more impressive traits. He has a pretty deep throw but he has thrown them against some questionable secondaries. 

Other than that he looks like the typical kind of game manager guy who nobody has tape on (is playing behind a better than average OL too) who manages to come in and not screw up for a few games until the league adjusts. We saw this very same story with Kyle Allen in Carolina earlier this same football season. 

To even make the statement that Duck Hodges is the better Quarterback in a game against Josh Allen is pretty ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

You are absolutely right, currently the case. But when you look the current QB market, and young guys coming off their rookie deals are taking up to 20% of the teams cap space, you will most likely either get into garbage time or get into shootouts. 

It is true that we will eventually get into a shootout somewhere and Josh will have to come through in those games. But it is also true that it is far from proven he can't do it when he hasn't really been asked to.