PFF's anti-Josh Allen agenda continues, calls Duck Hodges "the better QB"

Wayne Arnold

This might be common news, but I just read Chris Collinsworth is the majority stakeholder of Pro Football Focus. He hates everything Buffalo already, just wait until he rips Josh after the first incompletion on national tv. Might wanna turn the tv down for the game. 

From Wiki:

In 2014, sports commentator and former NFL player Cris Collinsworth bought a majority interest in the service, which moved its operations to Cincinnati, near where Collinsworth lives in Ft. Thomas, Kentucky.

Edited by Bferra13

46 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yes, they were pretty much the first group to actually take that into account. That's what their adjusted completion % numbers are for.

They pick out all the numbers Allen does poorly.  He is top 5 in adjusted completion % or was the last time I checked.  Baltimore is killing everyone.  The Bill's were a play or 2 away from taking that game.  Everyone is so reactionary.  Allen's first half was tough.  He is a rythem passer.  The opening drives they need to scheme him gimme throws.  Not 25 plus yard passes into the wind.

Edited by Mat68

On 12/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Apologies if already posted.

It's called "trolling". It's all about getting hits, and there is a market for "Anti-Josh Allen" nonsense...especially with so many die-hard, long suffering, easy to offend Bills fans. 

Articles about Allen "coming along nicely", "progressing", "Not too bad" etc. aren't going to move the meter much. It's all Love or Hate in Hitsville.

Stop hitting it.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

You're conveniently overlooking Allen's rushing touchdowns. Why does everybody seemingly do this when discussing Allen? Rushing TD's don't count less when they come from a QB.

It's not fair to argue that Hodges is better, sorry. It's short sighted and wrong.

Well Allen rushing instead of throwing obviously shows his obvious inability to throw to the obviously open target, obviously. 

I think I used it enough there to convey the sarcasm. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. Disagree. They couldn't keep up with Philly earlier in the year. Josh was abysmal down the stretch of that game.

There were 40 mile per hour winds that game. The Eagles were beating us by RUNNING the ball, not passing. Their Offensive Coordinator was using his head. 

That’s not the best game to use in an example of Josh’s abilities IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Did PFF ever have credibility? :lol: They're a bunch of dorks. Any group of absolute nobodies who have the audacity to claim they "could tell which NFL teams were going by their draft guide" (gtfoh with that complete horse sh*t) are laughingstocks, not people you put stock in.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

To be fair when MOST QB’s are bad they look like they are bottom feeder QB’s.

Are you saying Allen couldn’t have put up a 300 yard game or two if the game plan called was pass heavy?

Not saying that at all

On 12/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Interesting logic here, WR John Brown is one of the “best free agent signings” this year and is having the statistically top season of his career but somehow the guy throwing him the ball is terrible. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, buffalonian said:

Interesting logic here, WR John Brown is one of the “best free agent signings” this year and is having the statistically top season of his career but somehow the guy throwing him the ball is terrible. 

It's PFF, Jake. It's PFF.

It’s like all the dorks that crunch numbers became the Arbitors of Succession / Lord High Executioners of NFL performance.  I think offended players (or more accurately, offended fan bases) should be able to prove their skills in person.  Imagine Josh Allen rifling balls to PFF staffers.  ?

14 hours ago, Nelius said:

You're conveniently overlooking Allen's rushing touchdowns. Why does everybody seemingly do this when discussing Allen? Rushing TD's don't count less when they come from a QB.

It's not fair to argue that Hodges is better, sorry. It's short sighted and wrong.

Could you and anyone else who's going to tell me I'm wrong at least read what I say? Yeah, it's short-sighted. That's the freaking point, as I've said like five times now!!! Again, I take Josh in the long-term for the future. PFF only made the argument that Duck is playing better now. So yeah, they're only talking about the short-term. Me too. It is indeed short-sighted, and taking that into account, it's the opposite of stupid. It's extremely reasonable argument.

And I am overlooking the running yards, largely. They're just fine, but QBs are generally ranked on passing stats and for good reason. I give Josh a bump up for his running, it really does help. But all things considered I'd rather have a QB with a better pass game who can't run much than a QB who is a terrific runner but not as good a passer. Josh's future, I believe, and Duck's too for that matter, will come down to whether he can master the passing game in the NFL.

And Duck isn't a bad runner either, though he's not as good as Josh.

3 hours ago, buffalonian said:

Typical straw man argument. Could you quickly point out where they say Allen is "terrible"?

What they said is that Duck is playing better than Josh. Which is a reasonable argument. Reasonable to disagree, too, of course, but I think they're probably right. And not because Josh is playing badly, but because Duck is playing really well. You can say - as many have - that he's not being asked to do much, and that's both true and fair. But should Allen be blamed because he doesn't run up as much production in terms of yards as Rodgers or Brees do? No, of course not. Allen isn't being asked to do what their teams ask Brees and Rodgers to do. You can only evaluate Allen on how well he performs the things he's asked to do.

Same with Duck. Yeah, they're not asking him to do much. But what they're asking him to do, he's doing very well indeed.

And just for the record yet again, yes, I think Hodges'll be diagnosed sooner or later. Someone will figure out how to take away his strengths, and when they do that, odds are he won't be able to adapt. Maybe he will, but odds are against it. But nobody's done it so far. He's playing really well.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

PFF are just dumbass keyboard warriors who constantly try to save face on their opinions. Josh Allen could win MVP and they would still say he sucks. 

It really is hilarious how people rush onward in waves to blame the messenger on anything that can remotely be conceived of as reflecting badly on the Bills. A good 30% of the posts in this thread say nothing about the argument. They instead attack the messenger, an argument that carries absolutely zero reflection on the argument.

When PFF says something that can be interpreted as casting the Bills in a good light, suddenly there are no PFF comments in that thread and everyone only talks about what they said. It's just so obvious and sad.

But as for them being dumb, again, it's nonsense on the face of it. A majority of the NFL teams buy PFF's stuff. They would not do so if they were not very good at what they do.

Not that that proves that they're correct in every value judgment that they make. They're not, anymore than anyone is. But they're a very capable organization.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Could you and anyone else who's going to tell me I'm wrong at least read what I say? Yeah, it's short-sighted. That's the freaking point, as I've said like five times now!!! Again, I take Josh in the long-term for the future. PFF only made the argument that Duck is playing better now. So yeah, they're only talking about the short-term. Me too. It is indeed short-sighted, and taking that into account, it's the opposite of stupid. It's extremely reasonable argument.

And I am overlooking the running yards, largely. They're just fine, but QBs are generally ranked on passing stats and for good reason. I give Josh a bump up for his running, it really does help. But all things considered I'd rather have a QB with a better pass game who can't run much than a QB who is a terrific runner but not as good a passer. Josh's future, I believe, and Duck's too for that matter, will come down to whether he can master the passing game in the NFL.

And Duck isn't a bad runner either, though he's not as good as Josh.

Typical straw man argument. Could you quickly point out where they say Allen is "terrible"?

What they said is that Duck is playing better than Josh. Which is a reasonable argument. Reasonable to disagree, too, of course, but I think they're probably right. And not because Josh is playing badly, but because Duck is playing really well. You can say - as many have - that he's not being asked to do much, and that's both true and fair. But should Allen be blamed because he doesn't run up as much production in terms of yards as Rodgers or Brees do? No, of course not. Allen isn't being asked to do what their teams ask Brees and Rodgers to do. You can only evaluate Allen on how well he performs the things he's asked to do.

Same with Duck. Yeah, they're not asking him to do much. But what they're asking him to do, he's doing very well indeed.

And just for the record yet again, yes, I think Hodges'll be diagnosed sooner or later. Someone will figure out how to take away his strengths, and when they do that, odds are he won't be able to adapt. Maybe he will, but odds are against it. But nobody's done it so far. He's playing really well.

The point is simply that if Brown is having his best season, it is ridiculous to suggest  that it is “despite the QB situation.”  Obviously, a wide receiver can only be successful if the quarterback passing to him is also successful in doing so.   That PFF quote from Eager that I referenced doesn’t even mention Hodges, but focuses on Allen and Brown, so your “straw man argument” suggestion is wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

The point is simply that if Brown is having his best season, it is ridiculous to suggest  that it is “despite the QB situation.”  Obviously, a wide receiver can only be successful if the quarterback passing to him is also successful in doing so.   That PFF quote from Eager that I referenced doesn’t even mention Hodges, but focuses on Allen and Brown, so your “straw man argument” suggestion is wrong. 

That may be your point, but my "straw man argument" is absolutely correct. Let's review. This is what you said:

4 hours ago, buffalonian said:

That implies that they said that "the guy throwing him the ball is terrible."

They never said that or anything like it, so yes, you absolutely threw a straw man argument out there.

57 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It really is hilarious how people rush onward in waves to blame the messenger on anything that can remotely be conceived of as reflecting badly on the Bills. A good 30% of the posts in this thread say nothing about the argument. They instead attack the messenger, an argument that carries absolutely zero reflection on the argument.

When PFF says something that can be interpreted as casting the Bills in a good light, suddenly there are no PFF comments in that thread and everyone only talks about what they said. It's just so obvious and sad.

But as for them being dumb, again, it's nonsense on the face of it. A majority of the NFL teams buy PFF's stuff. They would not do so if they were not very good at what they do.

Not that that proves that they're correct in every value judgment that they make. They're not, anymore than anyone is. But they're a very capable organization.

Sometimes something is so ridiculous it's not worthy of a dignified response.

This thread is one of those

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1