Ravens to rest Lamar Jackson, play Robert Griffin III vs. Steelers in Week 17 if Baltimore clinches playoff seeding: report

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers will not face a full-strength Baltimore Ravens team in Week 17, provided their AFC North rivals have already secured their playoff positioning.

According to the NFL Network, Baltimore would play Robert Griffin III over Lamar Jackson in such a scenario. The Ravens can clinch the AFC North with a tie or a win against the New York Jets on Thursday night, guaranteeing them no worse than the No. 4 seed.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2019/12/ravens-to-rest-lamar-jackson-play-robert-griffin-iii-vs-steelers-in-week-17-if-baltimore-clinches-playoff-seeding-report.html

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Interesting tidbit, but am I missing something here? Only thing the results of this game could impact is seeding. We just need to win 1 more game and we are in. Yes, if we lose this game, we are likely the 6 seed, but all that matters is winning one more game. 

Correct me if I am wrong but this could effect home field advantage??

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Only in the second round and if a lower seed wins their game that would play us in the second round. 

Or do you mean home field for Ravens? 

In that case yes also. They would get the first home game as 4 but could play away later on. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I was thinking you were referring to the Bills. Unless we win the division (not likely), only way we’d get a home game is if we are the 5 seed and things fall our way. Obviously, 6 seed is weakest seed and won’t get a home game under any circumstances. 

It definitely could if the Ravens need the game to stay ahead of the Cheats for the #1 seed. But I’m not sure that happens. They are in a great spot because they beat the Cheats and us head to head. They did lose to the Chiefs, but they are 2 games back in the standings.  Things could get interesting if they drop the game tonight. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So are they willing to concede #1 seed if they need to win week 17?

The way the article is written just sounds like they are saying they don't care as long as pitt can't pass them. 

That's not how I read it at all.  They will rest starters if they lock up the #1 seed, which could happen as soon as this weekend, but more likely next weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

Well that gives the Steelers fans some hope. And they probably think they are going to beat up on the Bills Sunday, however this is a different Bills team and won't be the same as in the past.

But a couple Steelers fans I know are chalking this game up as a win for them, which I find pretty funny and if the Bills win I can't wait to feed them.

46 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So are they willing to concede #1 seed if they need to win week 17?

The way the article is written just sounds like they are saying they don't care as long as pitt can't pass them. 

Might want to read that again.. Only if they locked up a seed

Ravens will lock up the #1 seed with a win vs the Jets and WHEN we go into NE and put the dynasty down next week!

First, we have some other business to attend to this Sunday night.

If the Ravens end up sitting guys and that allows Pittsburgh in then I'm fine with it. Tomlin has always been a favorite of mine and I would be happy to see him get some kudos. Unfortunately this Sunday we're going to have to ruin his day, but I've got no issue with Pittsburgh getting in as the #6 unless it makes NE's path easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That's not how I read it at all.  They will rest starters if they lock up the #1 seed, which could happen as soon as this weekend, but more likely next weekend.

53 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Might want to read that again.. Only if they locked up a seed

Yea I misread it.  Carry on. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1