MLB ups opioid testing & removes marijuana from substances of abuse

Kirby Jackson

32 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I really cant see the NFL cracking down on pain Killers . these guys beat the S:*% out each for 3 hours straight every week plus there would be alot more players on the Injury report every week

Opioids can’t/won’t be eliminated, but if they can be reduced by allowing weed rather than pushing pills, I’m all for it. More attention to and control of opioids is needed. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I wonder if they will go with hair tests, at least with some suspicion/cause. Even with short hair they can use hair from your armpits (which is rather unpleasant!) but it is a vastly more effective test than urine or blood. 

I do like that the aim seems to be geared toward help rather than penalties. 

Im not sure if they would- 2/3 of the league would come up positive I think lol

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Im not sure if they would- 2/3 of the league would come up positive I think lol

Oh, I’m sure! But I’m all about monitoring and help where needed. You can’t punish them for what the league pushed on them. I just want them to be as safe and healthy as possible. The league has a lot of responsibility here, so some more oversight seems appropriate.  But it will still cost the players in the next CBA to get this handled the right way. That’s just how the world works. 

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh, I’m sure! But I’m all about monitoring and help where needed. You can’t punish them for what the league pushed on them. I just want them to be as safe and healthy as possible. The league has a lot of responsibility here, so some more oversight seems appropriate.  But it will still cost the players in the next CBA to get this handled the right way. That’s just how the world works. 

Same- anyone who has played contact sports knows the pain you go through. Alot of the players are suffering with chronic pain and battle through it.

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have had countless debates on here as to how the NFL may address these issues moving forward. MLB took big steps today and have gone a similar route to what i expect from the NFL. Thought this was really interesting and warranted discussion. Felt like it should be on the main board even though this is about how baseball handled it. Feel free to move it if so.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28283499/mlb-union-agree-opioid-testing-marijuana-removed-drug-abuse

Kirby loves talking about legalizing weed. 

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Kirby loves talking about legalizing weed. 

I don’t care if it’s legal or not. Over the last year or so I went from a very rare user to fairly regular. I use it for anxiety before bed. I used to take a whole cocktail of meds, celexa in the morning, pamelor at night, Xanax & Klonopin as needed. It was horrible. I just decided that I wasn’t doing that anymore and scaled myself off all of them (I still keep Klonopin if I ever have an anxiety attack). For me, I hit the little 1 hitter once or twice before bed and can sleep through the night. It is a a way safer alternative to what I was on. 

In terms of the discussion though I think it’s an interesting one and this is a big step. MLB basically is treating the subject like I did (but focused on opioids instead of anti-depressants). “The effects of opioids are way worse than we treated them and we treated marijuana as much more dangerous than it has proven to be. We need to flip flop these two.”

The NFL has a massive opioid problem and do not like to be the pioneers when it comes to change. MLB has paved the way for them to do what’s in the best interest of everyone. Believe me, it’s not in the NFL’s best interest to suspend a guy 4 games for weed when if I get busted it’s a $25 ticket. This is going on while you have 50,000 opioid overdose deaths a year in the US and a league prescribing them at alarming rates.

This topic is certainly timely and a course the NFL should follow. I am fairly certain that the NFL removes weed from the next CBA. It doesn’t make sense for anyone to have it there. I hope that they address opioids at the same time. Sometimes I wonder if they will though as they are complicit in the opioid crisis around the league. Your training room shouldn’t have bags of Vicodin to pop as you please but such is life in the NFL.

I work in a Hospital... no bueno... though a number of my coworkers do... I used CBD oil during my cancer chemo treatment this fall.... it really helped... the newer stuff is a lot stronger I am told, haven't tried the THC stuff so don't really know, but I agree... make it legal and tax it.  My only problem with it is the idiots taking right hand turns at .5 miles per hour.  I have a house in Amherst Mass that I rent and check up on once a month.  Driving through the center of town is an effort in patience. I do love tailgating the stoners and making them paranoid though...

• Haha (+1) 1