MLB ups opioid testing & removes marijuana from substances of abuse

Kirby Jackson

We have had countless debates on here as to how the NFL may address these issues moving forward. MLB took big steps today and have gone a similar route to what i expect from the NFL. Thought this was really interesting and warranted discussion. Felt like it should be on the main board even though this is about how baseball handled it. Feel free to move it if so.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28283499/mlb-union-agree-opioid-testing-marijuana-removed-drug-abuse

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You know this is coming to the NFL. It’s just A matter of what will the owners get the players to give up to get it? 

That’s my thought. My guess is that they do something similar. They will tighten up on opioids (which they pretty much look the other way on) and loosen up on marijuana.  This feels like a big step.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Big public developments like that will help diminish the stigma of (medical) marijuana use and get progress made that helps people's lives.

One of our news stations up here just ran a piece on how a former athlete was able to kick an opioid habit with the help of CBD for his injuries, but the tone of it was still very much being wary of marijuana products.

Edited by 1ManRaid

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have had countless debates on here as to how the NFL may address these issues moving forward. MLB took big steps today and have gone a similar route to what i expect from the NFL. Thought this was really interesting and warranted discussion. Felt like it should be on the main board even though this is about how baseball handled it. Feel free to move it if so.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28283499/mlb-union-agree-opioid-testing-marijuana-removed-drug-abuse

When reports say that "Half of the players in league" does it ... its time to make the change. 

edit - do it, does it??  pick your poison.  Grammar isn't my forte  (neither is spelling) 

P.S.   Lets add whatever PED's TB12 is using and test the Pats***  weekly 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm not for legalizing marijuana but as long as it is legal in the state it shouldn't be illegal.  The problem is what happens when the law of land in the state they are employed deems it illegal.   They get caught with jail time, can the league ignore jail time with the conduct enforcement?   

2 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I'm not for legalizing marijuana but as long as it is legal in the state it shouldn't be illegal.  The problem is what happens when the law of land in the state they are employed deems it illegal.   They get caught with jail time, can the league ignore jail time with the conduct enforcement?   

It’s decriminalized in so many places that I don’t know what it would take for jail time. If it’s an amount for personal consumption it’s a ticket. As an example I think it’s a $25 ticket in New Orleans.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s decriminalized in so many places that I don’t know what it would take for jail time. If it’s an amount for personal consumption it’s a ticket. As an example I think it’s a $25 ticket in New Orleans.

i think it's the equivalent to a moving violation around here if i'm not mistaken, (under an ounce).  something like 50 bucks.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You know this is coming to the NFL. It’s just A matter of what will the owners get the players to give up to get it? 

Sadly it is so much this.  Much like every other political debate - sure it makes sense, but we're not going to vote with it unless you give me an extra game on the schedule.  

14 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

My thoughts on Weed and football...

It's proven effective as a non-physically addictive pain aid.  These guys get beat up daily.  Instead we see them abusing opioids and toradol. 

I don't think weed is something that is going to drive people to need to go to rehab to fix their lives.  Testing for drugs of abuse is less about punishing people, and more about making sure people are getting the help they need.

They're already smoking it - they're just duping your drug testing systems or smoking weird synthetic stuff you can't test for (that is horrible for you)

And on a brief aside - the best QB in my touch football league smokes before every game and it doesn't hinder his on field performance in the slightest.  Possibly makes him better...

A few too many beers...?  Now we're talking...

• Like (+1) 3

If our citizens and elected officials would get their combined heads out of their backsides and just legalize marijuana, and tax the ***** out of it, and control the distribution, ( how much one can purchase per week or not) it would achieve two major benefits, 1) remove the criminal element, 2) Fund social security / Medicare likely ending both solvency issues,  this would benefit every citizen in our country, and on top of it, reduce the police departments work load. And frankly who in their right mind gives a ? if athletes smoke the stuff, it’s not like they are performing neurological surgery.  Hell i’d have puff now and again if I didn’t have congestive heart failure, just sayin, ?

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s my thought. My guess is that they do something similar. They will tighten up on opioids (which they pretty much look the other way on) and loosen up on marijuana.  This feels like a big step.

Problem with opiods and benzos is they are out of your system quick. THC has to metabolize in fat and can linger around in the big fellas a long time- but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

Don’t you tease me like that. I went into ma first dispensary a few weeks ago in Niagara Falls.   It made me hate NY even more. 

Actually I don't even buy anything.  I have a friend who grows his own (legally) and I get enough for movies and chilling for free.

Now that I'm an old man it don't take much.  LOL