Vic Fangio wants to see NFL drop divisions format

HOUSE

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I do agree with keeping Divisions, but one problem with ignoring them and going completely on records is what if one team has a garbage division that it dominates, while another division is tough and keeps beating each other.  Imagine a situation where one team in the NFC East was actually good this year (yeah, difficult to imagine, but just do it!), that team could be like 15-1.  A decent team, but not good team, would be something like 12-4.  This could potentially keep out a better Rams team in a harder division out of the Playoffs, when the Rams are the better team.  

Overall, I like your plan more than the scrap divisions. I have no idea how to solve the issue I mentioned above, or if it would even be an issue most years.  

you are looking at this with perfect hindsight, the rules are set up before the season and encourages a team to aim solely for winning the division title if it isn't good enough for HFA

From a scheduling perspective it really makes it sooo much easier.  AFC east team plays 6 afc east teams - 1 division AFC and NFC half home half away.  and 2 games against other teams in their conference that finished in the same spot in the standings.  Its super easy. 

Division winners get to play each other the next season which makes for good prime time games, and it keeps divisional rivalries together.  

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I do agree with keeping Divisions, but one problem with ignoring them and going completely on records is what if one team has a garbage division that it dominates, while another division is tough and keeps beating each other.  Imagine a situation where one team in the NFC East was actually good this year (yeah, difficult to imagine, but just do it!), that team could be like 15-1.  A decent team, but not good team, would be something like 12-4.  This could potentially keep out a better Rams team in a harder division out of the Playoffs, when the Rams are the better team.  

Overall, I like your plan more than the scrap divisions. I have no idea how to solve the issue I mentioned above, or if it would even be an issue most years.  

I think adding a 7th playoff team and only giving 1 team Home field and a bye week makes some sense too.  You get a 3rd wildcard team and it makes being the best in the conference that much more important.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think that no matter what solution to come up with, it will all suck.  So eff it, I think I got the solution.  Every team makes the playoffs.  The 4 division winners from each conference will get the bye.  From each conference in the first round, the 5 seed plays the 16 seed, 6 plays 15, 7 plays 14, and 8 plays 13.  The next round will introduce the top 4 seeds with the 1 seed playing the lowest seed and so on for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seed.  BOOM!  problem solved.  This also means, no more playoff droughts.  LOL

Edited by Circlethewagon8404
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MDH said:

Yeah, I've had this opinion for a long time. I'd love to get rid of the divisions format as well.

You aren't the only one.

The whole division thing is antiquated and look at the penalty the AFC East has suffered during the Patriots dynasty! 

Artificially taking a few teams and making them play the best franchise in the sport twice every year is fundamentally unfair, especially when most of the league doesn't play them at all.

Buffalo has no business being in the same division with NE metropolitan areas anyway.

The 2 NY teams, Philly, and Boston should be in a division, if we have to have divisions.

Buffalo is much more a Midwestern town to be lumped in with other Rust Belt franchises such as Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh...

13 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I think that no matter what solution to come up with, it will all suck.  So eff it, I think I got the solution.  Every team makes the playoffs.  The 4 division winners from each conference will get the bye.  From each conference in the first round, the 5 seed plays the 16 seed, 6 plays 15, 7 plays 14, and 8 plays 13.  The next round will introduce the top 4 seeds with the 1 seed playing the lowest seed and so on for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seed.  BOOM!  problem solved.  This also means, no more playoff droughts.  LOL

If you drop divisions you may as well just drop playoffs.  Do it like they do in soccer - Every team plays each other home and away - best record at the end wins.  

Could you imagine a 62 game season?  It'd take years! People would love it. 

I like the idea of 2 divisions in each conference. If it stays a 16 game schedule:

Play every team in your division once (7 games)

Play 5 teams from the other division in your conference once - 1 game vs. the team that finished in the same place in other division and then rotate the others. 

Play 4 teams from the other conference once - on a 4 year rotation.

If they expand to 17 games, make it 5 games against the other conference. 

Playoffs: Keep at 6 teams in each conference, the division winners and then the next 4 best records. The division winners get a bye. 

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Vic Fangio wants to see NFL drop divisions format

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Dec. 12, 2019 at 09:14 a.m.

Every few years when a division is won by a team with a less-than-sterling record, eating up a playoff spot while a better team sits at home during the postseason, reconstruction comes to the forefront of the NFL.

The year is particularly noteworthy with the TV-magnet NFC East, once the league's crown jewel, cratering like a lump of coal tossed into a pit of sadness. The gloomy division has a current combined record of 17-35. Dallas and Philadelphia sit at 6-7 atop the division. The best either could do is 9-7.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001087008/article/vic-fangio-wants-to-see-nfl-drop-divisions-format

Makes sense for the playoffs, but what about the schedule and division rivalries and playing them twice a year ?

Bully for Vic. 

Anomalies are the spice of life. It's fun to have outliers in the playoffs. It's also fun that each division has a unique feel.

I would be more inclined to vote for more geographic or culture-based divisions, though. I'd vote for a Buffalo - Pit - Cleveland - NY division or something like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Can we win the AFC East at least once more before they do away with divisions?? I hate this AFC East champ drought we have been on for 2 decades now. I'd like to get that off our backs before we no longer have the chance to...

I dont believe there is any serious consideration being given to and sort of realignment.

48 minutes ago, Roger Goodell said:

The NFL's conference and division format is aligned to allow for competitiveness across the league and entertainment value for our fans.  We will continue to evaluate alternatives with these goals in mind.

Well said Comish

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

Slam dunk. I shall read no further the work has been done.

Proper.

58 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Bully for Vic. 

Anomalies are the spice of life. It's fun to have outliers in the playoffs. It's also fun that each division has a unique feel.

I would be more inclined to vote for more geographic or culture-based divisions, though. I'd vote for a Buffalo - Pit - Cleveland - NY division or something like that. 

I would think ‘a****** owner’ division would receive some approval.  Cowboys, Patriots, Washington, Browns?

48 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Keep the divisions within the conferences, but go with the top 8 records for the playoffs regardless of the divisions title

that's a grossly unbalanced schedule to grab the top 8

it's bad enough an AFC division can feast on a horrible NFC division matchup and take 3 or 4 cupcake wins in a given season