Vic Fangio wants to see NFL drop divisions format

24 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

We'll never get away from division format.  With this logic, you would be playing the same 15 teams every year and then potentially never playing a team from the other conference or you would rotate a team to play from the other conference every year.  Thus playing the same team from the other conference every 16 years.  This would just be horrible.  I think they should just keep the same format/rotation, however, simply the 6 best teams from each conference gets into the playoffs.  You can earn brownie point for being the best in your division, but you shouldn't be allowed to participate in the playoffs if 6 other teams has a better record.

Why does that matter? Why would it be horrible?

Do the Bills have any team in the NFC that are considered rivals? No. 

If you are saying that top 6 teams make the playoff there is no reason for divisions. What keep it so teams that are located somewhat close geographically in a division that doesn't matter if you win or not to determine if you make the playoffs? I think that would actually be worse and would only benefit teams in easy divisions or hurt teams with more competitive divisions.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

bring it up to 7 teams and only the 1 seed gets the bye week.  3 games first weekend each side so you have an extra game to watch the first weekend. solved

Yeah, this is the format Pat Kirwan has been hyping on SiriusXM as well...makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

If you are saying that top 6 teams make the playoff there is no reason for divisions. What keep it so teams that are located somewhat close geographically in a division that doesn't matter if you win or not to determine if you make the playoffs? I think that would actually be worse and would only benefit teams in easy divisions or hurt teams with more competitive divisions.

Ok.  You've changed my mind.  I just liked the idea of playing a division from the other conference each year.  But I guess it would make sense to just stick with your own conference and then one out of conference game.  In the end, this just needs to be fixed.  Years like this one, it's just an embarrassment.  No team in the NFC East deserves to make it

47 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

We'll never get away from division format.  With this logic, you would be playing the same 15 teams every year and then potentially never playing a team from the other conference or you would rotate a team to play from the other conference every year.  Thus playing the same team from the other conference every 16 years.  This would just be horrible.  I think they should just keep the same format/rotation, however, simply the 6 best teams from each conference gets into the playoffs.  You can earn brownie point for being the best in your division, but you shouldn't be allowed to participate in the playoffs if 6 other teams has a better record.

Agree. Play 8 from AFC and 8 from NFC every year. I would take a game against any NFC opponent over another game against Jets, Dolphins, or Pats. You can assign traditional rivalries if you want. Say 2 rivalry games in conference, 6 other in conference games, and then 8 other games against the opposite conference 

The worst part about the current setup is playing each team in your division twice.  THATS SO STUPID.  it make sense is sports with 80+ games per year, but 16?!?!

Go back to east/west divisions, with 8 teams.  Play each team in your division once, leaving 9 games to round out the schedule.  Play 3 teams from the other 3 divisions.  That's 10 AFC games and 6 NFC games per year for an AFC team.  

It makes way too much sense for the NFL to ever do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

The NFL cares about exposure.  Currently each AFC team gets each NFC team in their stadium once every six years.  This is a good thing for fan interest, I think.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Ok.  You've changed my mind.  I just liked the idea of playing a division from the other conference each year.  But I guess it would make sense to just stick with your own conference and then one out of conference game.  In the end, this just needs to be fixed.  Years like this one, it's just an embarrassment.  No team in the NFC East deserves to make it

No way. That would mean you would play each NFC opponent every 16 years. 

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

The worst part about the current setup is playing each team in your division twice.  THATS SO STUPID

It makes perfect sense in a divisional format.  You should get a game at home and on the road against teams in your own division when those are the teams you're competing with for a division title.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, eball said:

It makes perfect sense in a divisional format.  You should get a game at home and on the road against teams in your own division when those are the teams you're competing with for a division title.

not thrilled that Houston and Tennessee saw each other twice in the last 3 games of the season, a little more balance would be nice in that regard

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No way. That would mean you would play each NFC opponent every 16 years. 

I guess I'm just torn on what I want to see.  Additionally, I definitely enjoyed that we got to play during Thanksgiving this year.  If we were to switch to only playing teams within the conference, well then you can just say good bye to ever playing on Thanksgiving again cuz it won't happen.  Unless they switch the tradition a little and just have one NFC Thanksgiving game and one AFC Thanksgiving game.  I hate how there's 3 now.

Edited by Circlethewagon8404

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

not thrilled that Houston and Tennessee saw each other twice in the last 3 games of the season, a little more balance would be nice in that regard

It's definitely weird, but in one sense it's just as you would want it to be.  Your destiny is right there in front of you.  Not the Texans and Titans fault the Jags and Colts blew their chances.

I am in the boat where I am kind of sick and tired of the Dolphins, Patriots, and Jets taking up 37.5% of the schedule every season.  Its boring.

Also, as mentioned.  A team like the Patriots are in your Division, it could literally ruin the league for you for decades.  Add in cheating and you feel even more helpless.  With the Division Title taken almost out of reach, it is extremely difficult to make the playoffs, and impossible to ever host a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, eball said:

It's definitely weird, but in one sense it's just as you would want it to be.  Your destiny is right there in front of you.  Not the Texans and Titans fault the Jags and Colts blew their chances.

i guess.... as a person completely indifferent to these teams, and seeing both are division contenders ( i don't think one can readily get a WC???? ) this sucks that two top teams missed out on two top opponents until this late...

i guess the NFL gets its jollies with this stuff....  :(

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I do agree with keeping Divisions, but one problem with ignoring them and going completely on records is what if one team has a garbage division that it dominates, while another division is tough and keeps beating each other.  Imagine a situation where one team in the NFC East was actually good this year (yeah, difficult to imagine, but just do it!), that team could be like 15-1.  A decent team, but not good team, would be something like 12-4.  This could potentially keep out a better Rams team in a harder division out of the Playoffs, when the Rams are the better team.  

Overall, I like your plan more than the scrap divisions. I have no idea how to solve the issue I mentioned above, or if it would even be an issue most years.