Vic Fangio wants to see NFL drop divisions format

Vic Fangio wants to see NFL drop divisions format

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Dec. 12, 2019 at 09:14 a.m.

Every few years when a division is won by a team with a less-than-sterling record, eating up a playoff spot while a better team sits at home during the postseason, reconstruction comes to the forefront of the NFL.

The year is particularly noteworthy with the TV-magnet NFC East, once the league's crown jewel, cratering like a lump of coal tossed into a pit of sadness. The gloomy division has a current combined record of 17-35. Dallas and Philadelphia sit at 6-7 atop the division. The best either could do is 9-7.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001087008/article/vic-fangio-wants-to-see-nfl-drop-divisions-format

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, tcampbell104 said:

im all for it. let the best teams make the playoffs

Get rid of divisions and you could also make it so teams have almost identical schedules. My preference would be play every team in your conference once plus one out of conference game against the team that finished in the same place in the other conference the previous year.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

One fairly small change that might appease some would be to keep the division format, but then seed playoff teams by record.

So Dallas (or Philly) would still get in, but would be the 6th seed (and no home game) vs being the 4 seed.

Even with this, a better team in the conference will still be watching instead of playing.  If they keep the division format, they should definitely seed based on record.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

One fairly small change that might appease some would be to keep the division format, but then seed playoff teams by record.

So Dallas (or Philly) would still get in, but would be the 6th seed (and no home game) vs being the 4 seed.

Agree with this. Just give the home game to the team with the better record. They can even stay the 4 seed, just give the team with the better record the home game... But if SF or SEA is a wildcard at 12-4, there is no damn reason they should have to fly to Dallas or Philly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MDH said:

Get rid of divisions and you could also make it so teams have almost identical schedules. My preference would be play every team in your conference once plus one out of conference game against the team that finished in the same place in the other conference the previous year.

We'll never get away from division format.  With this logic, you would be playing the same 15 teams every year and then potentially never playing a team from the other conference or you would rotate a team to play from the other conference every year.  Thus playing the same team from the other conference every 16 years.  This would just be horrible.  I think they should just keep the same format/rotation, however, simply the 6 best teams from each conference gets into the playoffs.  You can earn brownie point for being the best in your division, but you shouldn't be allowed to participate in the playoffs if 6 other teams has a better record.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

We'll never get away from division format.  With this logic, you would be playing the same 15 teams every year and then potentially never playing a team from the other conference or you would rotate a team to play from the other conference every year.  Thus playing the same team from the other conference every 16 years.  This would just be horrible.  I think they should just keep the same format/rotation, however, simply the 6 best teams from each conference gets into the playoffs.  You can earn brownie point for being the best in your division, but you shouldn't be allowed to participate in the playoffs if 6 other teams has a better record.

Yeah, I don't care that much about not seeing teams from the other conference that much, it doesn't bother me at all.

Getting stuck in a division with the greatest dynasty the NFL has seen for 20 years and watching crap teams win other divisions time and time again, that has jaded me to the division format. Obviously life isn’t fair but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive to make it as fair as possible particularly when talking about competitions.

The current system is crap.

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 1

There's two wild card spots in each conference.  That's so a 12-4 team who finishes in 2nd place in their division will still get into the playoffs.  If a team isn't good enough to snag one of the wild card spots, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

bring it up to 7 teams and only the 1 seed gets the bye week.  3 games first weekend each side so you have an extra game to watch the first weekend. solved

You know, that could work.  It's usually one team that gets screwed over, so why not bring them in and give only one team a bye. 

4 minutes ago, NC Book said:

2 divisions per conference would work the best imo. 

So, I'm assuming that 7 games would be played within the division, how would you do the other 9 games?  Alternate each year with playing all 8 teams from another division (including the opposite conference) and then one extra game from another division?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MDH said:

the NHL did it in the 80s with everyone playing 2 home and away against each other

• Like (+1) 1