If we secure the #5 seed going into week 17, should we rest our starters?

25 minutes ago, Big C said:

*if* we were in a scenario where we had no chance of winning the division, and no chance of losing the 5 seed, I can see them resting some starters and pulling some part way through the game. 

Yep. If Bills win against the Steelers and lose against the Pats, we wouldn't have a shot at the division. It's also likely nobody would be able to take the 5 seed from us, so it would be smart to rest key starters for at least the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 2

Nope they rest too much as it is, i believe this why why we come out flat after time off like preseason and the bye and even after thanksgiving, which is 10 days off. Players dont do any kind of real practice anymore and it's no surprise why tackling league wide is poor and probably why Josh and WRs cant hit the deep ball, running plays in shorts at 50% effort doesn't come close to replicating in game experience with full pads, helmet and a DB in your face. #TooSoft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Considering where Buffalo stands right now, if we win either of their 2 upcoming games, we not only secure a playoff spot, but the #5 seed.

No chance for any other seed, just the #5 seed.

Yes, it's possible.

Should we rest our starters? Will we?

We should IMO. The Bills have been able to stay incredibly healthy to this point (knock on wood). In order to win in the playoffs you will need your team as complete as possible. I’d play it like the 4th preseason game but obviously with smaller rosters. 

• Like (+1) 1

That would be a great problem to have as the alternative will pry be sweating a Sam Darnold 4th quarter comeback attempt that may knock us out of the playoffs.  We came out pretty flat out of the bye and trailed at the half against the Fins.  Of course we were wearing all red so I don't know if it meant anything but I'd play our starters for at least a half.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We should IMO. The Bills have been able to stay incredibly healthy to this point (knock on wood). In order to win in the playoffs you will need your team as complete as possible. I’d play it like the 4th preseason game but obviously with smaller rosters. 

I agree.  It's a division game and the Jets, despite their troubles, have a physical defense and I'd be concerned about cheap shots/injuries.

But overall I want the game to matter for bigger reasons (AFC East title).

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Considering where Buffalo stands right now, if we win either of their 2 upcoming games, we not only secure a playoff spot, but the #5 seed.

No chance for any other seed, just the #5 seed.

Yes, it's possible.

Should we rest our starters? Will we?

I don't think your premise is correct.  If we lose to Pittsburgh and beat NE, it is unlikely we could have the 5th seed locked up-- impossible I think.  If we lose to Pittsburgh, we would both be 9-5 and Pitt would have the tiebreaker.  But your scenario seems right if we beat Pitt.