Steelers Flash back..Don Bebee Scorches them for 4 TD’s

thronethinker

40 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That was the most unlikely 4TD game ever.

But Beebe was the perfect number 3 WR behind two future HOFers.

Yes it was!  I remember this game as the one where Beebe came out of nowhere to have a monster game.

I also remember it, because I believe this was Bill Cowher’s first game as HC.  I think Barry Foster has a monster game too

One of my all time fav Bills memories from that run—Steeler killer aka Beebe could not be stopped by physical means, and the Steelers radio play by play crew of Fleming and Cope were beside themselves at how the Steeler D was getting schooled...as if the Bills were out there just playing catch—ah yes, I was a happy camper getting on that school bus full of Steeler fans the next day...:D

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I watched that Pittsburgh game at the old Bills fan club at The Fours Bar in Boston, across from the old Boston Garden. The place was absolutely packed with Bills fans; it would violate fire codes nowadays. I was crammed up against the front plate glass window. When Beebe scored one of his touchdowns, we screamed so loud I swear the glass buckled; I thought I was going to end up bleeding on the sidewalk on Canal Street ... good times!  :D 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yes it was!  I remember this game as the one where Beebe came out of nowhere to have a monster game.

I also remember it, because I believe this was Bill Cowher’s first game as HC.  I think Barry Foster has a monster game too

The Steelers head coach for this game was Chuck Knoll. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

That was the most unlikely 4TD game ever.

But Beebe was the perfect number 3 WR behind two future HOFers.

I remember it pretty well. 2nd game of that season. Jimbo had 6 TDs that game IIRC 4 to Beebe, 1 to Reed and 1 to Al Edwards. After that game I remember Berman saying they had over 1100 yards in those first 2 games? What an amazing offense!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This game was special to me as it was the first game I ever went to. My dad got ticket from his boss at the time. He came home on Friday and was like wanna go to the game and I didn't believe him. I still remember coming out of the mini tunnel to the seats and seeing the field for the first time. I couldn't believe how green it was compared to on TV (this was way before HGTV and TVs that had 1000 shades of colors). But yeah I'll never forget that

game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I was there!!! #glorydays

Yup, me too.  Remember leaving the stadium after those first two weeks -- the Bills scored 93 points against Miami and Pittsburgh -- thinking there was no way anyone could stop that offense.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Offense was elite. The defense was good enough for the AFC but never good enough to compete with the NFC

there will never be an excuse worthy in 1,000,000 years for how they didn't beat the Giants by 3 TDs in a cakewalk

the other 3 they were trying to drive a team of horses up Bear Mountain during a blizzard

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Not during the regular season. The Bills had a very good record against NFC teams.

That and also I know some may view this as blasphemy, but Levy was really out-coached and out-prepared in the SB's, but just think he lost to Parcells/Belichek, Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson, all HOF coaches with tremendous staffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

there will never be an excuse worthy in 1,000,000 years for how they didn't beat the Giants by 3 TDs in a cakewalk

the other 3 they were trying to drive a team of horses up Bear Mountain during a blizzard

I agree with you to an extent; but I still feel like the only one that truly got away with nary a hope was Washington; Dallas 1 we were leading and due to defensive miscues the Cowboys were able to score 2x in like 5 minutes right after Norton jr takes out Kelly’s right knee with his diving helmet spear fishing move (in today’s NFL can you imagine the sanctions??) in the 1st quarter. If you look at the game it was going swimmingly for us the first 10 minutes including moving the ball with ease and blocking their punt, etc. In Dallas 2, we were still leading until Thurm’s fumble in the 3rd quarter! And there was a deep bomb that Beebe couldn’t hang onto that would’ve buried the Cowboys early. All I’m saying is the game I truly felt we were never in from the start, was the Redskins game, imho. But let’s move on to a brighter day in the here and now! 

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

Main reason the Giants won was they had the ball nearly the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters. They killed the clock with 2 drawn out drives and kept the Bills Offense off the field. 

Never forget 1st grade, 1990, Lyndonville Elementary School.   Each of us had to write a poem about something we loved.   A kid in my class drew a massive (yet awful) Don Bebee figure enveloped in a twister with Bengals chasing him.  The poem went something like this

Don Bebee is so fast, he is the best in the west

Don Bebee is so fast, he is better than the rest

Even at 6 I wanted to remind him the Bills were not in the west. 

My other favorite Don Bebee moment is when Maddy Glad called him Dan Bebee on OBL.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2