Revisiting my Allen scouting report

Buffalo716

** this is not a full scouting report. Just highlighting his deep ball from Wyoming til now**

700 passes into Allen's career I thought it would be a good time to go back to my scouting report on Allen and see how far he has came.

Everybody has been talking deep ball, deep ball , deep ball and what is wrong

Going back to Wyoming and his 700 passing attempts in the NFL I see 2 things that stand out...

One is a mechanical issue and one is a different kind of issue all together

The mechanical issue is simple and can be worked on fairly easily. Josh doesn't have a good base on his deep balls. He consistently throws of his back foot and uses all arm. His footwork is sloppy and he often doesn't plant and drive using his lower body and core

Sure having world class arm strength is phenomenal but the little fundamentals and using your lower body and core and keeping mechanics pristine are where Josh hasn't been consistent. I would like to see him work on his footwork and lower body mechanics and I think that will work out some problems

The other thing I see that I pointed out in my original report that still stands is that I called Josh Allen more of a thrower of the football instead of a passer... Now they may seem like similar terms but digest it and think it through

Josh is akin to a young flamethrower pitcher in baseball with little diversity in his game. He can whip it 100mph and win you games, and when he's hot he's hot...

But he hardly changes speeds, he has little movement on his pitches and relies on the fastball.. he is more of a thrower instead of a prototypical pitcher

Where as the finesse pitcher might not throw it 100, but he can change speeds from 89-94, has movement on his pitches, and a array of effective off speed pitches

When you think of a pure passer in football think of a Drew Brees... He can hit any level of the field with supreme touch and anticipation, he can change the speed of the ball at will and add gas when he needs

Josh is the anthesis of that right now and that's ok...

He struggles on the 9 routes and deep seam routes because he hasn't developed into a pure passer yet... He is still a thrower of the football... That is why he has excelled on crossing routes and square in and comebacks... Because those routes let him throw it on a rope , which is natural to him

The 9 routes and deep seems require a little bit of finesse and sexiness.. a little touch that throwers of the football havent mastered yet

And that's ok... That comes with hard work and repetition and by all accounts Josh works his butt off

Right now Josh is like a young Randy Johnson... He throws the football like few in the world, he can spin it .. 

He just needs to master the nuances of being a passer and not just a thrower of the football

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I’m a bit in the minority but I actually worry more about the short game. I have always thought completing those keeps you in better rhythm and makes the deep ball easier to complete while your confidence is booming. His ball placement is pretty bad and he doesn’t give his guys much of a chance to run with the ball. And occasionally it’s too high to catch or so low they have to go to the ground to catch it.  

The homerun deep balls I like your assessment on. It is definitely an all arm kind of throw. Also like the baseball reference included. In my perfect world Josh would make friends with Russel Wilson and try to hang out with him in the offseason. I have never been a big Wilson fan just cause I don’t like the Seahawks but he’s a helluva quarterback and who I would like to see Allen mimic his game off of a little bit. Wilson has the same kind of arm strength but has been able to evolve with hard work like you suggested Allen will and can make any and all throws now. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

700 passes into Allen's career I thought it would be a good time to go back to my scouting report on Allen and see how far he has came.

Going back to Wyoming and his 700 passing attempts in the NFL I see 2 things that stand out...

The mechanical issue is simple and can be worked on fairly easily. Josh doesn't have a good base on his deep balls. He consistently throws of his back foot and uses all arm. His footwork is sloppy and he often doesn't plant and drive using his lower body and core

Sure having world class arm strength is phenomenal but the little fundamentals and using your lower body and core and keeping mechanics pristine are where Josh hasn't been consistent. I would like to see him work on his footwork and lower body mechanics and I think that will work out some problems

The other thing I see that I pointed out in my original report that still stands is that I called Josh Allen more of a thrower of the football instead of a passer... Now they may seem like similar terms but digest it and think it through

Josh is akin to a young flamethrower pitcher in baseball with little diversity in his game. He can whip it 100mph and win you games, and when he's hot he's hot...

But he hardly changes speeds, he has little movement on his pitches and relies on the fastball.. he is more of a thrower instead of a prototypical pitcher

Where as the pure pitcher might not throw it 100, but he can change speeds from 89-94, has movement on his pitches, and a array of effective off speed pitches

When you think of a pure passer in football think of a Drew Brees... He can hit any level of the field with supreme touch and anticipation, he can change the speed of the ball at will and add gas when he needs

He struggles on the 9 routes and deep seam routes because he hasn't developed into a pure passer yet... He is still a thrower of the football... That is why he has excelled on crossing routes and square in and comebacks... Because those routes let him throw it on a rope , which is natural to him

The 9 routes and deep seems require a little bit of finesse and sexiness.. a little touch that throwers of the football havent mastered yet

And that's ok... That comes with hard work and repetition and by all accounts Josh works his butt off

Right now Josh is like a young Randy Johnson... He throws the football like few in the world, he can spin it .. 

He just needs to master the nuances of being a passer and not just a thrower of the football

To your point.....elsewhere I posted a screen capture of Josh's deep completion to John Brown in the Miami game.  Guess what, you see a fairly textbook passing motion.

In contrast, the three unsuccessful deep throws at the start of the Ravens game were exactly as you describe - although to be fair to Josh, if he'd have stepped into his throw I think he would have brought the ball within reach of a rusher's arm and/or had Spain pushed into his leg in two of them.  In the third, he was throwing on the run without time to reset.

I think he gets it when he has time and space....it just isn't engrained enough to work under pressure yet.

• Like (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Where as the pure pitcher might not throw it 100, but he can change speeds from 89-94, has movement on his pitches, and a array of effective off speed pitches

I think we are very much on the same page. Glad you posted, much easier than half replies in another thread. 

• Like (+1) 2

He needs to tame and train the rocket launcher attached to his shoulder. I think he will get there too. To me, he demonstrates skills and abilities you just can’t teach. Every QB prospect has their strengths and weaknesses. A great QB needs a bunch of different skills and charachteristics. I like what Josh has got. He has shown the ability to learn and improve and I think we’ll see improvement in the Steelers game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We all know he can chuck it 90 yards downfield. The problem is on these deep throws there's zero launch angle. No arch, no trajectory, nothing. Just flat line drives. Hitting 102 on the gun means nothing if you can spot your offspeed......

61EE33FD-80DC-44AB-B59D-375C2D332948.thumb.jpeg.2d330645a86d772f09f28f8a47d4ca0b.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've said before and now that I'm picking my way through the Ravens all-22 I'll say again:

-the key to the season is between Allen's ears, not in any difficulty with big throws

-he had simple, makeable throws he has been completing with high success, there for the taking through most of the game. 

-whatever reason he passed them up, that needs to be fixed - Now.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The ball seems to come out of his hand pretty effortlessly to me. I do think he is a natural passer and not just a "thrower of the football".

Lamar Jackson is the one to me that seems more like a thrower of the football. The ball comes out awkwardly, to my eyes, and he is almost aiming and thinking about his throws. The ball isn't an extension of his arm yet (or maybe never will be). He gets the jobs done and even makes high level throws on occasion, I just bet it takes him more work than some because he isn't a natural thrower.

With Allen, though, it all looks effortless (from the waist up at least). The ball IS an extension of is arm. He doesn't have to think through s throw or aim it, he can just fire. But I do agree that his issues with accuracy on the deep ball have to do with his lower body mechanics, or the fact that he is often under pressure when making deep throws. But I whole heatedly disagree that Allen is a "thrower of the football" instead of a natural passer.

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

The ball seems to come out of his hand pretty effortlessly to me. I do think he is a natural passer and not just a "thrower of the football".

Lamar Jackson is the one to me that seems more like a thrower of the football. The ball comes out awkwardly, to my eyes, and he is almost aiming and thinking about his throws. The ball isn't an extension of his arm yet (or maybe never will be). He gets the jobs done and even makes high level throws on occasion, I just bet it takes him more work than some because he isn't a natural thrower.

With Allen, though, it all looks effortless (from the waist up at least). The ball IS an extension of is arm. He doesn't have to think through s throw or aim it, he can just fire. But I do agree that his issues with accuracy on the deep ball have to do with his lower body mechanics, or the fact that he is often under pressure when making deep throws. But I whole heatedly disagree that Allen is a "thrower of the football" instead of a natural passer.

How effortless the ball comes out of his hands isn't a indicator if he is a thrower or passer

John elway was a notorious thrower of the football when he came out and not a passer

Passing the football is about finesse and touch ... Throwing is about arm strength and threading the Needle

There is a difference

Allen is a natural spinner of the football that is without question,  but passing is about finesse and touch

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I appreciate the analysis, but the way you're approaching this is that Allen is the same as he was when we drafted him and hasn't improved.

Is that what you're saying?

I believe he's already dramatically improved.

No not at all. I think he's improved 10 fold and I'm super excited about his progress

My point was how he still is a better thrower than passer right now and that's ok. He has a cannon that he hasn't fully reigned in yet and the difference is key

Throwers throw strikes, frozen ropes majority

Passers have innate touch 

Both can be effective and both play the game differently. And both can work on weaknesses

Allens deep trajectory is off because he is a thrower 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No not at all. I think he's improved 10 fold and I'm super excited about his progress

My point was how he still is a better thrower than passer right now and that's ok. He has a cannon that he hasn't fully reigned in yet and the difference is key

Throwers throw strikes, frozen ropes majority

Passers have innate touch 

Both can be effective and both play the game differently. And both can work on weaknesses

Allens deep trajectory is off because he is a thrower naturally

i think you did a great analysis in your OP actually. And you did acknowledge his improvement. Short and intermediate routes, especially over the middle (the in-crossers and digs to beasley and brown most notably) Allen has been pretty much lights out. What is wrong with his passes when guys get behind the defense I am not sure, but you make strong points as to the problem. Good stuff ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

i think you did a great analysis in your OP actually. And you did acknowledge his improvement. Short and intermediate routes, especially over the middle (the in-crossers and digs to beasley and brown most notably) Allen has been pretty much lights out. What is wrong with his passes when guys get behind the defense I am not sure, but you make strong points as to the problem. Good stuff ?

I don't think I'm fool proof but I've spent my whole life as a player, scout and coach  and football really is my life and passion

I think Allen is great and I'm so excited about the future and he just needed room to grow correctly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

How effortless the ball comes out of his hands isn't a indicator if he is a thrower or passer

John elway was a notorious thrower of the football when he came out and not a passer

Passing the football is about finesse and touch ... Throwing is about arm strength and threading the Needle

There is a difference

Allen is a natural spinner of the football that is without question,  but passing is about finesse and touch

I disagree with your definitions.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think I'm fool proof but I've spent my whole life as a player, scout and coach  and football really is my life and passion

I think Allen is great and I'm so excited about the future and he just needed room to grow correctly

right on and thanks again. I am one of probably many who’s a bit infuriated with all of Allen’s misses deep this year, but I still recognize the strides he’s made in other parts of his game. 

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I decided to not say anything on the forums about Josh after the Ravens game. I know it is just one game but the result left me feeling a bit negative about him. That fumble was costly. 

VERY costly. Leaving a rookie TE on an island like that is not really on the QB. 

I think Josh gets better year to year, week to week and half to half. Not a straight line by any means, but I like the progress. Sure, he’s struggled against the best defenses. So have most teams. Just keep growing! 

• Like (+1) 3