Would we sell out a home playoff game?

Bakin

If we get a home playoff game - will it sell out?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. If we get a home playoff game - will it sell out?

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, elijah said:

This past game was 10-2 vs 9-3, the best records for a game at The Ralph this late in the year since either 1991 or 1992 — I forget the exact statistic but that’s a fairly close ballpark.  Tickets were selling for less than $30 come gametime.

The amount of people giving sh*t to the OP for this topic is ridiculous.  It’s a serious question that warrants serious consideration. 

A dome is needed. I agree with all the ‘weather is a part of the game,’ people, but more importantly than that are the ‘‘money talks’ people. 

again... the WC/Divisional Round game has already sold out.

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

again... the WC/Divisional Round game has already sold out.

sold out can mean so many things....

Is it on the frickin TV within 250 miles radius of Buffalo is all I care about

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I thought some of the home playoff games in the '90s (specifically the comeback game) weren't sold out. So why are people acting like this is a dumb question?

1) we had just been pummeled by Houston the week before; and more importantly 2) your facts are wrong .. that was the highest attended game in the history of the stadium ... 900,000 people have stated they were at that game ;)

Some seriously stupid and triggered replies to my very honest question. 

I understand the game sold out (shortly  before I posted this...) 

Capacity and attendance are different things, obviously...because literally NONE of the last 4 playoff games attendance was at (or near) capacity. 
that’s what my point was - we don’t have a good track record of selling out / filling the stadium to capacity, specifically during playoffs. 
I’m sure it has everything (90%) to do with weather. 

Edited by Bakin

15 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Some seriously stupid and triggered replies to my very honest question. 

I understand the game sold out (shortly  before I posted this...) 

Capacity and attendance are different things, obviously...because literally NONE of the last 4 playoff games attendance was at (or near) capacity. 
that’s what my point was - we don’t have a good track record of selling out / filling the stadium to capacity, specifically during playoffs. 
I’m sure it has everything (90%) to do with weather. 

Selling out and game day attendance are two different things.

Given the amount of time that has passed since our last home playoff game, I think it is reasonable to assume that the game would easily sell out, especially considering the stadium holds 10,000 fewer seats than in the Super Bowl years.

Weather absolutely impacts attendance, even in big games.  If weather was annoying other than "horrible" I think the stadium would be packed.

Not sure why this generates so much discussion.

The answer to your question, basically, in 2019/2020 is "YES."

Next!

On 12/12/2019 at 5:18 AM, cage said:

I think the OP's point is in connection to the fact that the most recent Ravens game, pretty big game, didn't sell out.  They've been running at 95% capacity, which in the middle of the league despite putting up their best season in a long time.  The Ravens game amounted to a good proxy for a home playoff game

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I was at the Eagles game in Week 7, which also was a pretty big match-up given where they were at the time.  The game did not sell out (also poor weather) and probably a 1/4 of the crowd were Eagles fans

On 12/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

But we DON'T sell out every game. The Ravens game didn't sell out and the Jets hasn't either. That's why the question.

Yall sue those did not sell out? I remember specifically looking at ticketmaster the last Friday and there were less than 100 tickets for sale. And the Eagles tickets were the highest resale we have seen in Buffalo in over a decade...have a feeling that was sold out as well. Might have been a lot of no shows, but it was sold out.

And, i do think it would be a tough sellout without the auto purchase STHs sign up for now. It was not a problem just in Buffalo, lots of places have trouble selling tickets in the winter in cold weather cities and with 7 days or less to know the opponent. I specifically remember looking at Chiefs ticket prices the weekend the Bills played the Jags, and secondary prices for similar seats that I paid $350 for in Jacksonville were going for half that in KC. Like I said, there is a reason NFL made the auto buy an NFL policy.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:37 AM, Gordio said:

A lot of things in play for that game why it didn't sellout.  They just got smoked up at the Astrodome on Sunday night by the same Oilers that we had to play the following week.  That gave the division to Miami & had to settle for the Wildcard.  That might seem like a nice opportunity now but back then fans were spoiled, coming off of two back to back #1 seeds.  Several starters were hurt including Kelly & Bennett & I believe Thurman Thomas also.   Back then too, there was no online stuff, moving 25-30K tickets in 4 - 5 days would be a tall task for any team.  Also, remember back then the stadium held over 80K people.  That was the only home playoff game besides Kelly's last game against Jacksonville in which the blackout was not lifted.  A lot of things in play. They still got I think 72 thousand + there, which would be a sellout today.

The highlighted means everything nowadays.

Back then it was normal for there to be huge lines at the ticket office and it was a mad scramble to manually sell enough tickets before the blackout cutoff time.   Each ticket person had a literal stack or rubber banded tickets that they were selling off of.  Logistically it was entirely different.    Not only couldn't you buy tickets online most people weren't even online at all yet in 1996.    The Bills have literally been irrelevant for more than a generation.   Never had a home playoff game since you could buy tickets online...........never had a home playoff game since HD was a thing.?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

so for all the excuses for the Houston blackout game.....

the Bills failed to sell out all their home playoff games the two prior years???

As someone else stated the only early 90s playoff game that did not sell out was the Oilers .. and how is this a certainty .. because we watched all the others on TV .. when they used to have 100% of seats sold to televise. If we get a game at home this year (unlikely) it will sell out and it will be jam packed

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

1) we had just been pummeled by Houston the week before; and more importantly 2) your facts are wrong .. that was the highest attended game in the history of the stadium ... 900,000 people have stated they were at that game ;)

So there are a lot of liars or they timeshared attendance.

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

As someone else stated the only early 90s playoff game that did not sell out was the Oilers .. and how is this a certainty .. because we watched all the others on TV .. when they used to have 100% of seats sold to televise. If we get a game at home this year (unlikely) it will sell out and it will be jam packed

agreed.... the fan interest was a lot less the 3rd SB season, yawn.... and it was just a WC game, so it wasn't sold out

I still remember watching the Oilers comeback game in a sports bar in St.Catharines because the Ralph didn't sell out and it wasn't on TV. The Bar was full of a-hole Bills haters whooping it up because they thought the Bills were about to crushed. People laughing at Marv etc. Walking out of there after the victory and seeing their formerly smug faces turned to shocked disbelief was one of my sweetest memories of the 90s Bills. I went to the Jacksonville playoff game in 1996 and I'm not sure if that one sold out either. I can remember a lot of empty seats.

Edited by Livinginthepast

On 12/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, Bakin said:

The last home playoff game we had. 
1996??

Did it sell out?

Answer: No. 

Don’t blame me.  I was there.

And it was horrible.

I haven’t gone to a home playoff game since. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1