Jimmy V Classic (‘93 ESPY Speech ?)

For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend the ESPN 30 for 30 episode that interspersed the story of the '83 Wolfpack with Valvano's later fight against cancer, climaxing with this speech.   That really was an incredible moment in time.....he was literally weeks from death and could barely walk, yet found the strength to delivery that speech.  Truly inspirational.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

A few of his classic quotes

"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can’t trust em."

"The difference between Namath and me is that when you make the money he makes, they say you’re ruggedly handsome. When you make the money I make, they say you have a big nose."

"We have a very intelligent team. I’ve had clubs that when you tell a guy to go back door, he leaves the gym. Or you tell the team you’re going to have a closed practice and eight guys don’t show up."

And the most inspirational:

"There are 86,400 seconds in a day. It’s up to you to decide what to do with them."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sounds weird, but tis is one of those moments where i remember where i was while watching this live. Way before the interwebs, this was a huge deal as it was the first ESPYs and more sports was great! What  I remember most is when they wanted to go to commercial..that was just classic

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sounds weird, but tis is one of those moments where i remember where i was while watching this live. Way before the interwebs, this was a huge deal as it was the first ESPYs and more sports was great! What  I remember most is when they wanted to go to commercial..that was just classic

Doesn't sound weird at all.  I did not watch it live.  I'm sure if I did, it would absolutely have been one of those, "I remember where I was," moments.