To heck with the Pittsburgh Steelers

appoo

16 hours ago, appoo said:

I'm 40 years old. I've been a Bills fans for as long as I can remember, having immigrated to Buffalo when I was 2 years old. My first memories are of the bickering bills. Jim Kelly playing the Jets as a youngin. Ronnie Harmon dropping that TD in Cleveland, the Bills stadium playing Hootie and the Blowfish after making the Dolphins cry...basically I'm a lifer. And I love/hate it, probably like many of you. 

This is going to be my first post/thread. Why? A little bit more about my background. As I said above, I immigrated to Buffalo when I was just 2, and my family lived in upstate NY until I was about in 4th or 5th grade, and then we moved to PA. In fact the first Bills SB happened when we moved to good ol Scranton, Pennsylvania (note, not coincidentally the first time I ever cried because of a sporting event also happened in 4th or 5th grade).

This, then, is where the story of my hatred of the Pittsburgh Steelers begins. Back in those days, you couldn't watch your team unless they were on national TV, or you lived locally to them. Yet I remember watching the Bills every Sunday with the rest of my family, and it was because my Dad purchased a satellite dish for the sole purpose of getting the Binghampton CBS. Why? Because apparently all of PA is a suburb of Pittsburgh. So actually this wasn't bad in the present, I only retroactively added to my hate for the Steelers wen I realized my Dad had to spend money and go out of his way or for us to be forced to watch the freakin Steelers or paid programming on Sunday afternoons. 

That hatred only TRULY began when I got to Penn State. Boy. Tell that group you from PA who's not a fan of the Steelers and they look at you like you're an alien. Then tell them you're a Bills fan, they'll turn into the most arrogant aholes you'll meet, acting like they invented football. To this day I tell people that Pittsburgh would be a wonderful city if you just got rid of all Steeler fans. 

Worst of all, this is where I encountered the awfulness that is the NFL Blackout/locality rules. If your local team wasn't sold out, or it wasn't in the 1pm/4pm time slot, you were watching paid programming. This was when I realized how lucky I was growing up with a satellite dish. This was awful. Now my Sunday football choices was the Eagles, those ugly ass Yellow and Black uniforms, or paid programming? Yea, FU Pittsburgh. (sidenote, I'm kinda/sorta a 2nd hand eagles fan)

What's worse, even when the Bills showed the rare signs of life, who was there to stomp on it? Yep, you guessed it. The Villains of PA. There was the Willis McGahee led Bills, running through the AFC, trying to work their way back into the playoffs - only to be turned back by the 2nd string Pittsburgh steelers in the final game of the season. 

Fitzmagic! Win 3 straight games, start getting some momentum going. Along come the Steelers. We got this. We get to OT. Fitz throws an absolute BEAUTY of a bomb in the back corner of the end zone, that thing must have gone 50 yards and dropped on an absolute dime of a target area. It hits Stevie Johnson right in the hands, I'm screaming my head off, the announcers are yelling in celebration, it's happening! We beat the Steelers.....but no. 

Even when they DON'T involve the Bills! They're easy to hate. Do we all remember Super Bowl XL? I lived in Seattle between 2011 - 2017, and let me tell you, they will always remember that one. You know what city has a different narrative than the rest of America? You guess it. Ask someone from Pittsburgh about the horrible officiating from SB XL and they'll cite some random missed hold on the Hawks;  remind them of phantom touchdowns for the Steelers, phantom OPI that took away a TD, a steeler Offside that caused a hold that negated a TD...and you get blank stares as if none of that ever happened. Because in their minds it was Jerome Bettis Week, and the bus DESERVED to win a title in his hometown, and of course there was no bad officiating, yinze are just jealous. 

I'm a Bills/Knicks/Mets/Syracuse/Penn State fan. Despair and failure runs thick. The only championship I've "experienced" as an adult was the Melo led Orange in 2003. And of course along the way I've developed some sporting hates. The Yankees, Ohio State - but NOTHING will ever match my personal dislike of the Pittsburgh effing Steelers and that arrogant, smug as crap fanbase. 

So yea, to HELL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and lets effing go Buffalo. Pound these guys to nothing. 

The Force is strong with this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Agreed. Living in Erie, PA I know the feeling man. The sad thing is most of them here are bandwagoners. In grade school in 90s most of my friends were Bills fans. People my age at least. There were a lot of adult Steelers fans (most likely bandwagoners from the 70s).I go into the Marine Corps in 2000 and come back home 5 years later and it turned into a Steelers city and Bills fans became outcasts. So yes, screw Pittsburgh and there obnoxious fans 

I live in Erie too. If Buffalo doesn't win I don't think I can go into work the next day. The amount of "we expect greatness" piece of ***** Steelers fans here is absurd. You know what I do? Tell them to name me 5 active players besides the QB and RB. They never can. It's ***** hilarious

50 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I don’t really feel this way. I think of all the rust belt cities as kindred spirits. Most Steelers fans like and respect the Bills and their fans. I think the “hatred” of them is borne out of jealousy. 

No. It's from fair weathered ***** fans, and Pittsburg had a ***** ton of them.

10 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

I live in Erie too. If Buffalo doesn't win I don't think I can go into work the next day. The amount of "we expect greatness" piece of ***** Steelers fans here is absurd. You know what I do? Tell them to name me 5 active players besides the QB and RB. They never can. It's ***** hilarious

No. It's from fair weathered ***** fans, and Pittsburg had a ***** ton of them.

You have a much different experience living in Erie. Erie is equidistant from Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. It’s the perfect storm for fair weather fans. Not so down in Pittsburgh or the rest of western PA. 

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

Thanks for all the awesome replies!! Glad I have friends in my Pro-Bills/Anti-Steeler fandom

3 hours ago, foreboding said:

You said ...so immigrated or did you move to buffalo from another country? If you came from elsewhere in the country you moved to Buffalo. Curious.

We immigrated to Buffalo from India. My Dad had an opportunity for a PHD at SUNY Buffalo, and think it was 1980 when we moved there. The Bills were huge in our integration to America. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

You have a much different experience living in Erie. Erie is equidistant from Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. It’s the perfect storm for fair weather fans. Not so down in Pittsburgh or the rest of western PA. 

You're right, I know Pittsburg has a ton of loyal fans. The ***** ones have just ruined it for me though and I ***** hate them because of it. It is probably 70% Steelers fans here then 15% Cleveland and prob 7% buffalo then the rest. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

You're right, I know Pittsburg has a ton of loyal fans. The ***** ones have just ruined it for me though and I ***** hate them because of it. It is probably 70% Steelers fans here then 15% Cleveland and prob 7% buffalo then the rest. 

I feel for you.

sports economists or sociologists should study Erie. I bet you will see huge spikes in fan loyalty depending on team success. Probably saw a big spike in Steelers fans in 70s, huge spike in browns fans in 80s, huge spike of bills fans in 90s, and then since then probably big spike of steeler fans (and big decrease in browns and bills fans). 

from going to games and dozens of different bars in NYC and NJ watching football, i have noticed pittz fans are legion in number and short of IQ.

just so many hefty obnoxious overconfident yet lacking in any redeeming quality men and women sporting black and yellow smelling like black and mild.  the nearly visible wafting cloud scented by body odor, stale urine, and poor life choices form the unholy musk of the steelers nation which draws them toward each other in order to ruin the drunken sports betting afternoons of so many good Americans.

• Haha (+1) 1

I feel your pain.

My hatred of the Stealers runs a little deeper than yours in some ways.  Mine started in the 1970s SB X and SB XIII.  Grew up in Dallas as a huge Tom Landry era Cowboys fan. I sold programs at the games.  Those were heart breaking losses.

Then I moved to Seattle years later and was a member of the 2005 Seattle Seahawks Blue Thunder Drumline and we got to go to the Super Bowl and it was against the Stealers again with the same heart breaking result.

Of course there have also been many tough defeats to them by us.  2004, the 2010 SJ drop, the 2016 ram it down our throat in a snow storm game at the Ralph.

So, yeah ...

• Like (+1) 1

When I was a kid I was a Steelers fan because all the kids in school loved the Cowboys! Couldn’t stand it!  I knew this kid in college from Buffalo who was totally engrossed with the Bills. I lived 21/2 hours from Buffalo and became a fan when Bruce was drafted!

That victory over the Boys on Thanksgiving was SWEET!! When Josh Allen spiked that ball, that was me spiking the ball at all of the past crap this franchise has endured! I really want to see this team win and win decisively on Sunday! Can’t think of 2 franchises I would like to beat down in one season more than those(we will get to the Pats next week). Cmon Bills!!!

I was at work today and this jabroni saw my Bills hat and told me we're going down this week. I asked him if he was a Steelers fan and he says "Hell yeah, black and gold 'til I die." So I mention how I'm going to be a wreck all day, since the game means so much and that it's a night game. 

Dude had no idea of any of the playoff implications or that the game had been flexed. "Yeah, I haven't even watched many games since Big Ben got knocked out. Why bother?"

This represents at least half of the Steelers fans that I have ever encountered. ***** em.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sodbuster said:

I was at work today and this jabroni saw my Bills hat and told me we're going down this week. I asked him if he was a Steelers fan and he says "Hell yeah, black and gold 'til I die." So I mention how I'm going to be a wreck all day, since the game means so much and that it's a night game. 

Dude had no idea of any of the playoff implications or that the game had been flexed. "Yeah, I haven't even watched many games since Big Ben got knocked out. Why bother?"

This represents at least half of the Steelers fans that I have ever encountered. ***** em.

Wow! Yeah I know 2 of em around my way that has already chalked this game up as a win for them. Some of those Steeler fans feeling confident with their 3rd string QB starting.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

23 hours ago, Steptide said:

Sadly I was at the steelers game in 04 when we lost to the 2nd and 3rd stringers. I was also at the game in 2010 when Stevie dropped that deep bomb. The bills are due to slay the steelers and it will be awesome to do so and clinch a spot in the playoffs 

You're not going to this game, are you?

?