Earl Thomas says refs need to "protect Lamar Jackson more"

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Fans and Players: We need to protect QB's more

NFL: Low hits on the QB in the pocket are a penalty

NFL: High hits on the QB are a penalty

(I think these are called and enforced very well tbh)

Now players: When the QB is out of the pocket, they shouldn't hit his legs.

wait, what? where do we tackle them?

This pretty much says it all.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean the purpose of a read option is to make a player decide on you or the back.  You're basically blocking them - why can't i hit you under the assumption that i thought you had the ball?

Lol.. you can, and people should. That style of offense needs to be attacked. Sitting back on your heels is where you get gashed. On Milanos whiff, if he didn’t break down on Lamar’s juke, he had him dead to rights. Attack. 

As others have said, Earl is FOS. Earl knows it too. He’s just talking, and the media laps it up like stray dogs.

Edited by Sig1Hunter

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Because the majority of his highlights are running highlights. His passing highlights are typically 1 read quick shots where the scheme is opening them up. Nothing wrong with that, but he rarely sits back, goes through progressions, and hits tight window throws. He's winning games and is hard to stop so it's good for him and the ravens. But the argument that he's more of a runningback than a quarterback really isn't far from the truth because he's not playing the quarterback position as it has been done traditionally- No problem with changing traditions, but that's where the distinction comes in. In reality labeling him either position is narrow. Just throw an X up there beside his name and enjoy the ***** that he does which few others ever have. 

It's traditional alright, like Sid Luckman traditional.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

It's traditional alright, like Sid Luckman traditional.

Yeah, but as of yet, being able to consistently throw out of the pocket, go through reads, hit passes on every level of the defense, and move the ball efficiently via the air is the only thing that has stuck for the past 40 years. Every running QB who relies as much, or more, on their legs to create as they do their arms has passed by the wayside. Lamar has a chance to truly create a revolution. So far he is, but we'll see how long it goes. 

I don't know what you meant by your post, but I think that's an appropriate answer. :P

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, but as of yet, being able to consistently throw out of the pocket, go through reads, hit passes on every level of the defense, and move the ball efficiently via the air is the only thing that has stuck for the past 40 years. Every running QB who relies as much, or more, on their legs to create as they do their arms has passed by the wayside. Lamar has a chance to truly create a revolution. So far he is, but we'll see how long it goes. 

I don't know what you meant by your post, but I think that's an appropriate answer. :P

Sid lead the league in passing one year with about 2,000 yards and won the MVP. Before him it was mainly option QBs like Lamar. It was just a crack on how everyone is saying Lamar is revolutionary when in reality he's more like a QB from the prohibition era of football.

Edited by Luka
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 years as starter in the ACC (38 games) and now nearly 2 years as starter in the NFL (29 games; he played in every game as a rookie). He has never missed a snap due to injury despite rushing for over 5,800 yards. The narrative of "he's destined to get hurt!" really has to stop. 

• Like (+1) 1

The rules in place now are appropriate and adequate.  Once he takes off to run, he is and should be treated as a running back, unless he gives himself up in a slide, like any other QB.  Otherwise, he's fair game

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The rules in place now are appropriate and adequate.  Once he takes off to run, he is and should be treated as a running back, unless he gives himself up in a slide, like any other QB.  Otherwise, he's fair game

He's still not going to miss a snap (he's playing tomorrow), but for the first time he's listed as questionable, and the blow to his quad happened on a throwing play (his third TD pass against the Bills). https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/lamar-jackson-is-questionable-for-thursday-night/

2 hours ago, eball said:

So is there any particular reason you've chosen Lamar as your "opposing player to defend" this season?

Defend.....against what?  Bad/poorly thought out/super weak takes? 

I was super harsh on Jackson (indirectly, as a way to point out Anthony Lynn is  a bum) at the beginning of the season.  But it’s become obvious I was wrong.  He’s a special talent and has beaten the top 3 Defenses.  All cane at him.  All lost.

The obvious never needs “defense”.  It just is.  You and several others don’t understand the meaning of the word “defend”.  Never have

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I could be wrong, I think he is more talking about Lamar running the option. 

Still, if a mobile QB wants to pretend like they either have the ball and are making a throw, or pretend like they are running the ball off tackle, they should be treated as if they actually have the ball. 

Agreed. I was responding to another poster

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Assuming he continues to progress as a passer, his rushing attempts will naturally decline.

I don't think you ever want to take away the threat of running though, he's deadly in the option game. 

Thats what I was saying up thread though. They haven’t done anything to indicate that they want to move away from the heavy run load. They seem happy to get a few years out of him and then move on to the next guy- not sure if that’s their intention or not. But that’s what their actions show. 

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I've said it before, at 214 LBS he won't last long in the NFL, Baltimore should enjoy him while he is healthy

That was the same thinking about a rail thin 211 pound QB who was under 200 pounds part of his senior year in college.  Now I know he doesn't run around like Jackson, but he's now in his 20th season.  I've learned over the years not to look at a young player and project his NFL longevity, especially using his weight as a guide.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That was the same thinking about a rail thin 211 pound QB who was under 200 pounds part of his senior year in college.  Now I know he doesn't run around like Jackson, but he's now in his 20th season.  I've learned over the years not to look at a young player and project his NFL longevity, especially using his weight as a guide.  

That’s not the same thing at all. A pocket passer is, for the most part, going to take less abuse than a running, read option QB. There are exceptions, and injuries happen all over the place (Joe Theisman was in the pocket when Lawrence Taylor ended his career), but running the ball increases the number of hits a QB takes. 

Besides, if not for the special treatment Marcia gets, between his line being allowed to hold all damn day, and defensive linemen literally being told not to touch him, his career woulda been over 5 years ago.