Earl Thomas says refs need to "protect Lamar Jackson more"

Fans and Players: We need to protect QB's more

NFL: Low hits on the QB in the pocket are a penalty

NFL: High hits on the QB are a penalty

(I think these are called and enforced very well tbh)

Now players: When the QB is out of the pocket, they shouldn't hit his legs.

wait, what? where do we tackle them?

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I've said it before, at 214 LBS he won't last long in the NFL, Baltimore should enjoy him while he is healthy

Yep, exactly right. 

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Baltimore seems thoroughly happy using, abusing, and losing him. 

I really do think they are in the mode of getting what they can out of him and then moving on. Brought in the perfect OC to play to his strengths. Baltimore isn’t worried about what happens to Lamar physically in 3 years from now, they hope they have a Lombardi trophy by then.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086719/article/earl-thomas-refs-need-to-protect-lamar-jackson-more

Discuss.

My take is that if Lamar Jackson continues to act as a running back including deliberately creating confusion as to whether or not he's the one with the ball, he needs to be able to be treated as a running back.

I saw some very ticky-tack roughing calls against the 49ers when Jackson was in the pocket.

This is my take as well.  If they want to run this play style then that's the risk they take.  They cant expect defenders to just stand around waiting to see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A RB who has thrown for more TD's than any QB in the NFL this year?

WOW!   Nothing gets past you, my man,.  Good pick up...

yes, exactly what I said. move along, nothing to see here.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he's behind the line of scrimmage scrambling or doing play action fake ("fake"="deliberately creating confusion as to whether the QB is the one with the ball", if he's doing it correctly), etc, he's not acting as a running back so he gets the same protection any QB is due.

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A RB who has thrown for more TD's than any QB in the NFL this year?

WOW!   Nothing gets past you, my man,.  Good pick up...

So is there any particular reason you've chosen Lamar as your "opposing player to defend" this season?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he's behind the line of scrimmage scrambling or doing play action fake ("fake"="deliberately creating confusion as to whether the QB is the one with the ball", if he's doing it correctly), etc, he's not acting as a running back so he gets the same protection any QB is due.

I could be wrong, I think he is more talking about Lamar running the option. 

Still, if a mobile QB wants to pretend like they either have the ball and are making a throw, or pretend like they are running the ball off tackle, they should be treated as if they actually have the ball. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

What am I missing? The dude gets PF penalties called in his favor every week.

Josh Allen got hit in the head while sliding by 2 Cowboy defenders and it drew a "warning" for Dallas.

Kind of like how they took him out of the Patriots game? Yet they want to complain about protecting Lamar? He'd be gone already if he was treated like Allen. He’s fun to watch (playing teams other than the Bills), so enjoy it while it lasts. He’s harder to catch, but easier to break. 

It’s been talked about a ton how he is running this much and not being hit and gets out of bounds so easy. If you are going to run and be that big of a threat and game changer you cant really complain when you do get hit. Don’t like it, Don’t run. Then you can have some of the Brady protection if you stay in the pocket. I don’t watch all his games so I don’t know maybe he has taken some questionable hits but I didn’t see anything in buffalo that was even close to out of line. 

33 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Credit ESPN for that. Only showing his running highlights

Because the majority of his highlights are running highlights. His passing highlights are typically 1 read quick shots where the scheme is opening them up. Nothing wrong with that, but he rarely sits back, goes through progressions, and hits tight window throws. He's winning games and is hard to stop so it's good for him and the ravens. But the argument that he's more of a runningback than a quarterback really isn't far from the truth because he's not playing the quarterback position as it has been done traditionally- No problem with changing traditions, but that's where the distinction comes in. In reality labeling him either position is narrow. Just throw an X up there beside his name and enjoy the ***** that he does which few others ever have. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If you run a college style offense that puts your QB at risk then what you will get is people knocking the snot out of him every chance they get. It comes with the territory. Get used to it or change up. The better statement would be that our offensive staff needs to do more to keep Lamar Jackson out of harm's way. Shut up and play defense Earl. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086719/article/earl-thomas-refs-need-to-protect-lamar-jackson-more

Discuss.

My take is that if Lamar Jackson continues to act as a running back including deliberately creating confusion as to whether or not he's the one with the ball, he needs to be able to be treated as a running back.

I saw some very ticky-tack roughing calls against the 49ers when Jackson was in the pocket.

No doubt.

Earl Thomas can sit and spin. 

Aside from that, though, what I find kind of ironic is how the media and commentary teams will praise the crap out of Lamar's amazingly amazing talent to run with the ball, yet with just about every other QB who might scramble or even get the occasional designed run you'll just hear them say, "Oh boy, his coaches sure don't want him doing that!" And then the color commentary guy: "Yeah, I can understand diving for a first down when it's late in the game and whatnot, but this guy here really puts himself at risk and you know what, it's just a darn selfish decision to do that and increase his risk for injury! If he were to miss any time, he'd really hurt his team. What a turd!"

I think I've said it before... I hate the talking heads... most of them, anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1