[Name Only Title] Tua Tagovailoa

r henderson

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Oh look....endless fascination over a college QB who played on a team that had a huge talent advantage over 90% of its opponents.  Those guys always end up as top players in the NFL.

You don't watch much college football. SEC is essentially semipro football. Add the playoffs and that is two more games against high level competition.  No doubt they have some patsies on their schedule and that is a problem.  But Tua has played well in the biggest moments.

All that said, if he falls past round 3, I'd be fine with drafting him. I don't think he will be a great NFL QB but he would have value if he fell. Even if it was to trade him later. The Bills have too many holes to waste on a QB in first three rounds. Regardless, I think some team will take Tua in the first round.

Tua is already expressing some doubts himself that he will ever be the same player he was prior to the injury. It would be a pass for me. His best bet is to return to school and prove he is healthy so he can be a top 3 pick next year imo, but if someone is going to take him in the 1st Round in 2020 then it is hard to say no to that guaranteed $$$. I can see the Raiders taking him and they will have multiple picks before the Bills anyway. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd say even 2nd round is absolutely take him..... tell me, where is the downside? The QB position trumps every other position by a large margin. If Allen flames out or gets hurt you have a guy with big potential behind him. 

We have more pressing needs then to take a QB that high.  And Allen won't flame out.  He grows each week and still hasn't hit his ceiling yet

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Tua is already expressing some doubts himself that he will ever be the same player he was prior to the injury. It would be a pass for me. His best bet is to return to school and prove he is healthy so he can be a top 3 pick next year imo, but if someone is going to take him in the 1st Round in 2020 then it is hard to say no to that guaranteed $$$. I can see the Raiders taking him and they will have multiple picks before the Bills anyway. 

Ah, the Matt Barkley approach.  Look where he's at now. LOL

Just now, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Ah, the Matt Barkley approach.  Look where he's at now. LOL

Tua is well beyond Barkley talent wise, but his medicals are going to be huge. Barkley didn't stay because of an injury, he stayed because he thought he could guide USC to a BCS title. Him getting exposed the following year was just what happened. Hindsight is always 20/20. Tua may need to do this to repair his draft stock. If he declares and his medicals come back suspect then the boat he's in will sink either way. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends where he fell to us. At pick 23 or 24 or whatever we will be (pick 32 Gunner....)? No. If he fell to us in the third round of the Draft yes, absolutely you take him - but that isn't happening. Tua is going in the first round, he will likely be long gone by the time the Bills pick (in the almost impossible situation where he isn't there will be teams drafting after us that would want to get up and take him so the Bills might have a bidding war for their pick). The Bills do not need to draft another Quarterback early. They will take one in this class somewhere I think to compete for the backup job.

This.  The Bills need to give the QB they have a big, fast, sure-handed WR and upgrades at TE, RB, and OL rather than wasting draft capital chasing after an over-hyped collegiate QB.  Maybe draft a QB on day 3 to develop into a backup ... or sign an UDFA QB from a small college if they can find a kid with some potential.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Tua is well beyond Barkley talent wise, but his medicals are going to be huge. Barkley didn't stay because of an injury, he stayed because he thought he could guide USC to a BCS title. Him getting exposed the following year was just what happened. Hindsight is always 20/20. Tua may need to do this to repair his draft stock. If he declares and his medicals come back suspect then the boat he's in will sink either way. 

Very true on all points!  Barkley had the potential to be special too.  That's why I was happy to have him because of how he played prior to his Senior year.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Hasn't even declared for the draft and we're wondering about taking a flier on him?

COM'ON MAN!

We need the Deion Sanders meme along with that

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

On day two it’s a pretty reasonable discussion 

Hypothetically sure, but there is no way he makes it out of the first. Whether it’s another Green Bay situation when they drafted Rodgers or a team who needs a QB now but will wait a year. Tua is to good to pass in the first if you think you need a QB in two years from now. Baring a major collapse by Josh over the next three weeks, I don’t see the Bills thought process anywhere near there. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd say even 2nd round is absolutely take him..... tell me, where is the downside? The QB position trumps every other position by a large margin. If Allen flames out or gets hurt you have a guy with big potential behind him. 

The downside is that the Bills need to add offensive skill players, improve their OL and add young players to their defense to replace aging guys like Hughes and Alexander.  They need these players no matter who they have playing QB.  As NO, KC, Indy, and Pitt have demonstrated this season, a solid team and good coaching can save a team's season even if the starting QB doesn't play for all or most or some of the season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

That's a damned shame if so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shame.. Shame.. Shame.. 

We’re playing meaningful December games with a shot at the division and the playoffs. 
There should be zero talk of draft, and zero talk of a quarterback in the first 2 rounds. 
Please put your dunce cap on and sit in the corner. You’re on timeout until April. 

• Like (+1) 3

There are some crazy posts in this thread.  If not for his injury Tua would be in consideration for the first overall pick.  Talk of him being a day 3 pick is nuts.

As for the Bills, so much depends on what the Bills think of Allen.  Tua is already a much better prospect than he was though.  That’s largely due to accuracy.  Tua’s deep ball is fantastic.  He also is willing and able to throw to spots that protect his receivers.  Those are both issues with Allen’s game right now.  Still, there’s three games plus postseason left this season for us to see of Allen is putting it together.  The Bills staff obviously sees more Of him than we do and knows him better.

The Bills do need help at OT, CB, WR, TE, Edge and more.  But realistically the question boils down to whether you think Tua will be a better QB than Allen.  That’s because no other position matters remotely as much.  QB controversy or not, I’d pull the trigger on Tua without hesitation if he falls to us in the first.  That’s based on what I’ve seen from him and where I see Allen now.  I really don’t see Tua falling that far anyway. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1