CBSSports: Pats* Miss Playoffs! Bills take AFC East!

ProcessYaDigg

While it’s unlikely this year, I do see this as the future for years to come.

We were banished to the wilderness for years, but this team is back.  We got very lucky with Beane - he has a true vision and knows how to build a contender.  

It feels really good to be back in the mix, and to know it’s not just a flukey year.

I can't imagine the Pats losing to the Bengals, but I can easily imagine Miami giving them a tough game and even winning.  I give the Dolphins a lot of credit for this year, getting better and better after shedding their best players.  That light in the rear view mirror is from Miami, certainly not from New Jersey.  The Bills are going to have to continue improving in order to keep beating Miami.

So I don't know -- if NE beats Cinci and loses to the Bills and Dolphins, and the Bills win out, the Pats and Bills will both be 11-5.  Who wins the division, and who goes to #5?  I don't have an answer to that.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Talked to the guys this morning on NFLR and that is the only way we win the division.  Win throughout, and the Pats have to lose two of three.  Highly unlikely.  If this Miami game was in Miami we could pray in week 17, but they are not going to win in Foxborough.  I don’t agree with this sentiment on sitting people unless they are hurt.  We are still working synergy, moreso on offense, so if healthy, they play.  If they truly are at risk of not playing in the wildcard, ok for that player, but that’s it.  Watch what happened when Indi under Manning and Polish sat a bunch and they had a bye, they lost their first game.  They need continuity.  If you’re shoulder, knee, hamstring whatever is banged up, I get it.  Bumps and bruises is par for the course for these professionals.

Do you think you could actually keep Lorax off the field? No way.

I'm with you on not sitting players. I also know it is a shot in the dark for a fins win. I also know, you just never know. ;)

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Fins can Beat em if they get good Fitz

you never know. ;)

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Nice selfie, dude.

In the meantime, appears everyone's still guessing at what he's talking about.

If someone wants to have a conversation with any depth, he need to tell people what he's talking about. And if you're talking about a story, that means a link.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

if they lose to the dolphins tiebreakers wont matter because we ARE beating the Patriots so we will win the division outright and wont need tie breakers

not completely true.

In the scenario with the Dolphins beating NE, the Steelers game really means nothing.

Bills can lose to the Steelers and Pats can beat Bengals this week and the Bills will still win the division if they win last 2 and Pats lose to Miami. Both will be 11-5 and Bills win tie with better division record.

Edited by Hellcamino

9 hours ago, Success said:

While it’s unlikely this year, I do see this as the future for years to come.

We were banished to the wilderness for years, but this team is back.  We got very lucky with Beane - he has a true vision and knows how to build a contender.  

It feels really good to be back in the mix, and to know it’s not just a flukey year.

I do love Beane and McDermott. Both smart guys who play the odds, understand best practice and use it, and have a smart vision and a path to get there.

And not only that but they're on the same page. Man, is that a good thing.

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Talked to the guys this morning on NFLR and that is the only way we win the division.  Win throughout, and the Pats have to lose two of three.  Highly unlikely.  If this Miami game was in Miami we could pray in week 17, but they are not going to win in Foxborough.  I don’t agree with this sentiment on sitting people unless they are hurt.  We are still working synergy, moreso on offense, so if healthy, they play.  If they truly are at risk of not playing in the wildcard, ok for that player, but that’s it.  Watch what happened when Indi under Manning and Polish sat a bunch and they had a bye, they lost their first game.  They need continuity.  If you’re shoulder, knee, hamstring whatever is banged up, I get it.  Bumps and bruises is par for the course for these professionals.

Do you think you could actually keep Lorax off the field? No way.

It's been probably 18 years since I predicted a Bills win against the Pats. They've simply been a much much better team for a very long time, and that's not even getting into the cheating.

But they have a legit shot in Foxboro this time. Last ten years i"ve given 'em a roughly 10% chance in any given Pats game. Right now I give them closer to 30 - 35%. Part of that is that the Bills are absolutely improved, at their highest efficiency since probably 2004. But the Pats have at the same time gotten a lot worse. This isn't the same Pats team. They've benefitted as much as we have from an easy schedule.

That Texans game just didn't look like the Pats we've come to know, and it's about time.

They're still a good team, but that offense is nowhere near what it used to be.

Edited by Thurman#1

19 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Not sure if this is being discussed, so please mod or lock as necessary.

As we all know, this is the game that if the Bills win, we're in.  With that said, does that mean we can't do worse than the #5 seed?  If the Pats win this week, then winning the division will be even more difficult.  Obviously we would need to win out and the Pats would have to lose out in order for us to claim that division title, but that may be a pipe dream.  As much as I would love for us to beat the Pats in their own backyard, I think it would be smarter to limit our starters for the final two weeks to provide a little extra rest and provide somewhat of a bye week for the starters.  I see both sides of the spectrum though.  Sometimes, that first round bye is beneficial for obvious reasons with resting the entire team and getting extra time studying your opponent (in our case it wouldn't be a bye but something similar to a bye with resting starters).  But in other situations, I know that building momentum during the final weeks of the season is usually a good recipe for making a strong push into the playoffs.  I know some of you will say "take it one week at a time, let's focus on this game first." Shoot I'm usually one of those guys that says that, but I just want to gauge where everyone's thoughts are on this potential scenario and what you would do as the Coach of this team during the final two weeks if us and the Pats win this week.

[I'm sorry, I know it's not identical, but we had 2 playoff scenario threads started at the same time, so I did merge]

The first round bye really does give a huge advantage to that team.

There have only been 10 Wildcard teams in the history of the league to make it to the Super Bowl. Also, home teams in the NFL have a 64.7 win% (highest in the 4 North American pro sports). Also, think about how often that helps old man Tom in his history? One less game makes it that much easier on his decrepit, geezer body.

The majority of the time the team with the first round bye at least advances to the Conference Championship game, so it'd be fantastic to have. We kind of blew our chance with that last week, so you may be right in that resting our starters would be better for us.

That is unless we have a chance of not having to play against KC... I'm not sure what scenarios would get us out of that, but that seems like a really bad matchup that I'd like to avoid at all costs lol.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

The first round bye really does give a huge advantage to that team.

There have only been 10 Wildcard teams in the history of the league to make it to the Super Bowl. Also, home teams in the NFL have a 64.7 win% (highest in the 4 North American pro sports). Also, think about how often that helps old man Tom in his history? One less game makes it that much easier on his decrepit, geezer body.

The majority of the time the team with the first round bye at least advances to the Conference Championship game, so it'd be fantastic to have. We kind of blew our chance with that last week, so you may be right in that resting our starters would be better for us.

That is unless we have a chance of not having to play against KC... I'm not sure what scenarios would get us out of that, but that seems like a really bad matchup that I'd like to avoid at all costs lol.

I dont mind playing KC. Their D isnt good at all. They have a potent offense, but our defense has shown we can minimize opponents strengths. Id rather play a weak D with a good offensive team than a great D ANY DAY in the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, Process said:

If the bills win this week and lose to the pats you rest starters week 17. Otherwise you play them until the end. Simple as that. It's crazy to suggest we rest starters against the pats. 

I wouldn’t rest starters when we play the pats****** even if we were 15-0 and the pats****** were 0-15 , I hope that day is around the corner when we put our foot down their throat and keep it there for at least a DECADE!!!

GO BILLS !!!

12 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I dont mind playing KC. Their D isnt good at all. They have a potent offense, but our defense has shown we can minimize opponents strengths. Id rather play a weak D with a good offensive team than a great D ANY DAY in the playoffs. 

Weak D's have given this unit trouble all year though... The offense has really only had one complete game all year, that was against the Dolphins (game 2). The Cowboys game was setup with great defense, multiple turnovers, great field position, etc. limiting what the offense had to do.

We know 100% for a fact that this offense can not win in a shootout with anyone. Our team needs too much time to settle in and figure things out, and if we need to start throwing more, the less likely we are to win. I believe our D can keep any game close, but not one QB we've played is as talented a passer as Mahomes.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. The Bills offense just doesn't elevate itself against good teams, and they would need to play better than ever to keep up with the Chiefs offense. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nice selfie, dude.

In the meantime, appears everyone's still guessing at what he's talking about.

If someone wants to have a conversation with any depth, he need to tell people what he's talking about. And if you're talking about a story, that means a link.

The odds of this happening are astronomical.    

IF people are ready to  Billlieve its true then they must be drinking the Kool Aid 

tenor.gif?itemid=15692833