CBSSports: Pats* Miss Playoffs! Bills take AFC East!

ProcessYaDigg

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

they hold tie breaker over us, we need to have a better record outright 

Unless they lose to the Dolphins (and Bills beat Jets) - then we get the tie-breaker (division record) which is earlier than their edge on the Bills (common opponents).

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Unless they lose to the Dolphins (and Bills beat Jets) - then we get the tie-breaker (division record) which is earlier than their edge on the Bills (common opponents).

if they lose to the dolphins tiebreakers wont matter because we ARE beating the Patriots so we will win the division outright and wont need tie breakers

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

they should handle cincy especially after a little extra tape on them but fitz and the fins could surprise and beat them?

The Pats just did a little innocent taping of a documentary. It seems illegal but it is just a misunderstanding. Or so they say.

Edited by Tatonka68
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The only thing anyone should be talking about is beating the Steelers.   The Bills are not beating the Patriots at home, and the last thing you want is to have to beat a team week 17 to get into the playoffs after losing 3 straight.  Just beat the Steelers.

I agree that the focus should be on the Steelers (although it does not really matter what we do or not b/c we are just fans)

However, why can't we beat the Patriots? The Chiefs just did and I don't think we're that much worse (if at all) than them. The Patriots are reeling, we're due and we're 5-1 on the road. We've had a chance to win at the end of every game save for the Eagles game.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Not sure if this is being discussed, so please mod or lock as necessary.

As we all know, this is the game that if the Bills win, we're in.  With that said, does that mean we can't do worse than the #5 seed?  If the Pats win this week, then winning the division will be even more difficult.  Obviously we would need to win out and the Pats would have to lose out in order for us to claim that division title, but that may be a pipe dream.  As much as I would love for us to beat the Pats in their own backyard, I think it would be smarter to limit our starters for the final two weeks to provide a little extra rest and provide somewhat of a bye week for the starters.  I see both sides of the spectrum though.  Sometimes, that first round bye is beneficial for obvious reasons with resting the entire team and getting extra time studying your opponent (in our case it wouldn't be a bye but something similar to a bye with resting starters).  But in other situations, I know that building momentum during the final weeks of the season is usually a good recipe for making a strong push into the playoffs.  I know some of you will say "take it one week at a time, let's focus on this game first." Shoot I'm usually one of those guys that says that, but I just want to gauge where everyone's thoughts are on this potential scenario and what you would do as the Coach of this team during the final two weeks if us and the Pats win this week.

[I'm sorry, I know it's not identical, but we had 2 playoff scenario threads started at the same time, so I did merge]

You mentioned CBS Sports. Are they predicting this? Wondering if it could happen?

Got a link?

Don't count the Bengals out this weekend. Despite the tire fire head coach situation, Andy Dalton is quite capable, and the Gals D is decent...very good front. The Patsies apologists will tell you we've seen this plot before...December losses. In fact, it's not that common. In the Shady/Belicheat era, the "team" is 62-14 in December thru the 2018 season. (They're now 62-16) Of those 14 losses, at least 5 are due to the Patriots sitting starters at the end of seasons. Several more are to their Kryptonite, the Dolphins in Miami. Conservatively, they have averaged about .5 meaningful December losses per season. In fairness, they went 2-2 in December last season enroute to defeating the Paduka Pandas...er, LA Rams in the last SB. We have to go back to 2015 to the find the previous meaningful December losses.

A deeper dive might reveal how many losses they took prior to clinching a berth.

This just feels different. Have a feeling about the Bengals this weekend...

5 hours ago, Process said:

Also usually losing a wideout or rb won't kill a teams chances, but with what little talent we have at those positions if we lost brown or singletary we would be toast. There is no way you play starters last game if it doesn't matter. 

Again it's the Jets, who cares?

You quote yourself, then answer? Nevermind both answers are ridiculous, you must not have any friends.

Real ones, anyway..

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Could happen, but won't happen.  Don't forget that the Phins have to go to Gillette.  I'd feel a lot better about this if they were playing in Miami.

100%. Weird things happen when the Pats play in South Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

they should handle cincy especially after a little extra tape on them but fitz and the fins could surprise and beat them?

Talked to the guys this morning on NFLR and that is the only way we win the division.  Win throughout, and the Pats have to lose two of three.  Highly unlikely.  If this Miami game was in Miami we could pray in week 17, but they are not going to win in Foxborough.  I don’t agree with this sentiment on sitting people unless they are hurt.  We are still working synergy, moreso on offense, so if healthy, they play.  If they truly are at risk of not playing in the wildcard, ok for that player, but that’s it.  Watch what happened when Indi under Manning and Polish sat a bunch and they had a bye, they lost their first game.  They need continuity.  If you’re shoulder, knee, hamstring whatever is banged up, I get it.  Bumps and bruises is par for the course for these professionals.

Do you think you could actually keep Lorax off the field? No way.

7 hours ago, wppete said:

We messed up by losing to the Ravens. Just get into the playoffs at this point. 

Nope, we messed up by not beating the very beatable Browns, thus giving us a realistic shot at winning the division.

But I agree that getting win number 10 is all that really matters now