Yankees Sign Cole - 9 Years, 324 Million

Virgil

9 hours ago, Sanners said:

Yep, but the sport is dying. No interest in about 70% of teams. 

Revenue is up 69% since 2010.  It's not even close to dying and cannon fodder still makes the owners money via the television deals and revenue sharing. 

Baseball is doing just fine financially.

15 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

agreed. Nutting doesn’t have to spend any money. He can put a garbage product on the field and make a ton of money. Consider that that pirates team not long ago had Cole, Mark Melancon, and Charlie Morton— three critical players on playoffs teams this past year. He let them all walk. 

I'm a fan of the Twins and formerly the Bucs.  The last straw for me was when they traded Cutch.  Just had my fill of the Nutting era Pirates at that point.  

It is awful... and I dont need Yankees or Red Sox fans give me reasons why its great because as proof, Tampa can qualify for a quick playoff exit once every few years or so.  It must be fun to have all these winter acquisitions and hopes, but for like 80-% of the league its miserable.

There are about 1/8 to 1/4 of the teams who can truly compete year to year, grab stars, and get better.  All the other teams can only hope that everything lines up with the right young players for a 2 year window so they can steal a few good seasons.

Teams like the Indians, who do very well drafting and developing, are nothing but feeder systems for their New York, Boston, LA, and Philadelphia overlords.  We can never again have an all-time great player.  They will finish up their non-UFA requirements with Cleveland until they are traded for miscellaneous prospects and picks.  

People like to point to 'home-grown' players on the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.  The biggest difference is they get to KEEP those players, and also add cy young and mvp candidates to them.  The system shows that Francisco Lindor is going to get a $400 Million payday from one of these teams.  Even if the Indians signed him, they couldnt afford anything other than peanut vendors for the rest of the roster.  He should be on the Mount Rushmore for the franchise someday, but will probably be known as a Yankee or something when it is all said and done.  Same thing with Sabathia.  It erodes people's interest in the league and their teams.  I am almost done.  

Add that into the complete destruction of the minor leagues.  Its awful.  

MLB's biggest fan demographic is aging/old.  They need new/young fans and to get with the times.  Relegating 2/3 of the league and chopping like half of the minor leagues (while already altering them into nothing more than a pitch-count developmental dish with no real competition) isnt the way to do it.  

The economic structure of the league needs to change.  Not sure exactly how it should be done.  Probably something closer to NHL and NFL with salaries tied to revenue, revenue sharing, and salary floors and caps.  

13 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Born in 1960, O's AA team was in Elmira and thats my connection. Earl Weaver manged here and most of the core played here for that era. 1969 losing to the Mets broke my heart. Little did I know what was to follow...

O's had a great run 1968 to the early 80s, and years beyond that in contention

57 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It is awful... and I dont need Yankees or Red Sox fans give me reasons why its great because as proof, Tampa can qualify for a quick playoff exit once every few years or so.  It must be fun to have all these winter acquisitions and hopes, but for like 80-% of the league its miserable.

There are about 1/8 to 1/4 of the teams who can truly compete year to year, grab stars, and get better.  All the other teams can only hope that everything lines up with the right young players for a 2 year window so they can steal a few good seasons.

Teams like the Indians, who do very well drafting and developing, are nothing but feeder systems for their New York, Boston, LA, and Philadelphia overlords.  We can never again have an all-time great player.  They will finish up their non-UFA requirements with Cleveland until they are traded for miscellaneous prospects and picks.  

People like to point to 'home-grown' players on the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.  The biggest difference is they get to KEEP those players, and also add cy young and mvp candidates to them.  The system shows that Francisco Lindor is going to get a $400 Million payday from one of these teams.  Even if the Indians signed him, they couldnt afford anything other than peanut vendors for the rest of the roster.  He should be on the Mount Rushmore for the franchise someday, but will probably be known as a Yankee or something when it is all said and done.  Same thing with Sabathia.  It erodes people's interest in the league and their teams.  I am almost done.  

Add that into the complete destruction of the minor leagues.  Its awful.  

MLB's biggest fan demographic is aging/old.  They need new/young fans and to get with the times.  Relegating 2/3 of the league and chopping like half of the minor leagues (while already altering them into nothing more than a pitch-count developmental dish with no real competition) isnt the way to do it.  

The economic structure of the league needs to change.  Not sure exactly how it should be done.  Probably something closer to NHL and NFL with salaries tied to revenue, revenue sharing, and salary floors and caps.  

has MLB improved excitement because teams 5 under .500 in July are "in contention" because their division totally sucks?

i would support a Premier and Division 1 setup for baseball (see Euro soccer) where the top 15 teams that are serious about winning can duke it out, and promote/relegate 3 teams each year

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

O's had a great run 1968 to the early 80s, and years beyond that in contention

has MLB improved excitement because teams 5 under .500 in July are "in contention" because their division totally sucks?

i would support a Premier and Division 1 setup for baseball (see Euro soccer) where the top 15 teams that are serious about winning can duke it out, and promote/relegate 3 teams each year

I have said it a hundred times.

Ideally, baseball should take a sledgehammer to the entire thing.  Do a promotion/relegation system from the top, all the way to Class A.  We would have meaningful and competitive baseball in every corner of the USA.  There would have to be a whole system of loaning/leasing players to lower levels and such, and a whole lot to figure out.  But it would be amazing.  

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I have said it a hundred times.

Ideally, baseball should take a sledgehammer to the entire thing.  Do a promotion/relegation system from the top, all the way to Class A.  We would have meaningful and competitive baseball in every corner of the USA.  There would have to be a whole system of loaning/leasing players to lower levels and such, and a whole lot to figure out.  But it would be amazing.  

the Premier division can start with the teams that have bonus billions from local TV contracts, along with other teams that are worthy of the honour of being taken seriously

i like to watch the sport, especially when I NEED IT many nights during those 6 months it is there for me

dominance doesn't bother me, i don't mind teams being all that good and worthy of tuning in for beyond local interest

On 12/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, Pete said:

Yanks finally get their #1.  Look out MLB.  They have been chasing Cole for years

I've been complaining for like 10 yrs that the Yankees need pitching and not more big bats.  Their best years in the 90s to early 2000s were in part due to a awesome rotation. 

Yanks signed Gardner one year deal today.  Hicks-Judge-Stanton-Gardner is a great outfield group. Voit-Urshela/LeMahieue/Gleyber-Andujar-Sanchez makes a stacked lineup. Relief is deep.  We could add a bat at 1B/DH to further improve.  Maybe more pitching- you can’t have too much.

The 1980’s and 2010’s were the only decades the Yanks did not win a championship.  It’s time we win in 2020 and start this decade off right.  Go Yanks!

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Yanks signed Gardner one year deal today.  Hicks-Judge-Stanton-Gardner is a great outfield group. Voit-Urshela/LeMahieue/Gleyber-Andujar-Sanchez makes a stacked lineup. Relief is deep.  We could add a bat at 1B/DH to further improve.  Maybe more pitching- you can’t have too much.

The 1960’s and 2010’s were the only decades they Yanks did not win a championship.  It’s time we win in 2020 and start this decade off right.  Go Yanks!

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Yankees won in 1961 and 1962, most powerfully....

they didn't win the WS in the 1980s

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

The 1980’s and 2010’s were the only decades the Yanks did not win a championship.  It’s time we win in 2020 and start this decade off right.  Go Yanks!

Saw yanks are interested in Josh Hader today. Also looking at Martin Maldonado to be Coles catcher. His bat is very good but pretty good defensively. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-yankees-pursuing-brewers-all-star-closer-josh-hader/amp/

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Hader not Huber and link

it's fun to watch a normal team daily, then save a power team for once a week

see a lineup without a conceivable weakness at all, like the Astros as they beat the crap out of their opponent.

i still stick with picking a middling team and watching most of their games daily, the White Sox were last year's, not sure this time around, probably a NL team

On 12/11/2019 at 1:45 AM, Virgil said:

Yankees reset the standard for elite pitching contracts.  Crazy how far these contracts have come.  NBA salary levels per year

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28271369/sources-yankees-gerrit-cole-agree-record-9-year-324m-deal

@Mike in Horseheads

They should just give percentage of team since contracts are getting so ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They should just give percentage of team since contracts are getting so ridiculous.

been hearing this since 1975, the end is near for crazy contracts

:D

you have to sweeten the pot for a pitcher to want to voluntarily join the AL East

bandbox ballparks and slo-pitch swing for the close fences every single pitch

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

been hearing this since 1975, the end is near for crazy contracts

:D

you have to sweeten the pot for a pitcher to want to voluntarily join the AL East

bandbox ballparks and slo-pitch swing for the close fences every single pitch

Not to mention lineups loaded with big power dudes who make pitchers work.

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

i'm stuck with a horrible home team in the AL East, for the foreseeable future  :(

maybe not, Management said they are being aggressive this offseason!

There was a report that came out that had an agent say that the Jays are doing Diligence on everyone, but 905 of it is just Diligence and isn't going any further then basically just checking in.....

They have made offers, but players are turning them down and taking less elsewhere (moustakis turned them down after they met at his house, Gregorious turned them down after he said they could give him alot of time at Short, One of the pitchers took a shorter deal with the Mets, a few others decided to just go back to their teams.) Looking at some of the guys they are going after, I don't understand why they couldnt wait to get rid of Stroman.