Wk 15- BUF +2 @ PITT

GoBills808

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

We need to win this game.   D is equal.  Offense we are better.   If not, then we have major issues.   Really, a franchise QB does not loose to an undrafted rookie.  

The D is not equal. The PIT D causes havoc for QBs, creates takeaways like crazy and scores TDs. The Bills D beats you with coverages, confusion and discipline. They cause punts, but not many takeaways. It’s really a bad matchup. The onus is on the Bills offense to score with few playmakers vs a pressure defense. The PIT D and physical offensive players allow them to scrape by with a caretaker QB. The Bills do have major issues going toe to toe with exactly the type of defense they’ll be facing this week. NFL is really all about matchups. Just a quirk of the schedule that they get several of these defenses in December. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

I feel the Bills consistently being the underdogs has a lot more to do with sucking for almost 20 years than the team that is on the field today.  The guys who set the lines factor that in.  It’s going to take a long time to get the stink off the team.  I have no doubt they win outright Sunday night. 

Arguably the Steelers' run of constant wins over the Bills, especially at home, is basically more impressive than what the Patriots have done to us in terms of longevity--wish I could put my finger on it, but it's just a snakebit town for us. Side note as to the last time we won in Pburgh in the regular season--it was 1975 and the Steelers were in their 70's dynastic heyday, winning another Super Bowl that year too. That year's Steelers team went 12-2, and steamrolled through their division 6-0. Their only "real" loss that year? 30-21 at the hand of the eventual 8-6 Bills, in Week 2 (The Steelers other loss was in Week 14 when all starters were resting against the Raiders). Think about that for a minute--the Bills put up 30 points at 3 Rivers against one of the best D units the league has ever seen! Hope springs eternal for this Bills fan...even if I had to reference a game that occurred prior to my even being a twinkling in my dad's eye ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Arguably the Steelers' run of constant wins over the Bills, especially at home, is basically more impressive than what the Patriots have done to us in terms of longevity--wish I could put my finger on it, but it's just a snakebit town for us. Side note as to the last time we won in Pburgh in the regular season--it was 1975 and the Steelers were in their 70's dynastic heyday, winning another Super Bowl that year too. That year's Steelers team went 12-2, and steamrolled through their division 6-0. Their only "real" loss that year? 30-21 at the hand of the eventual 8-6 Bills, in Week 2 (The Steelers other loss was in Week 14 when all starters were resting against the Raiders). Think about that for a minute--the Bills put up 30 points at 3 Rivers against one of the best D units the league has ever seen! Hope springs eternal for this Bills fan...even if I had to reference a game that occurred prior to my even being a twinkling in my dad's eye ;)

You are a treasure, Sir.

Stay gold, Pony Boy!

Elect SDS President...make HUDS King!*

No payment was made by HUDS to Dollars 2 Donuts for the praise and admiration indicated above.  D2D is just a fan.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

227 on the ground from OJ?  dayum.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

BTW, and I am honestly going off memory from the history of the Bills in team guides I used to look at as I was just a doe-eyed young lad in the 70s, that Bills team that finished an unfortunate 8-6 started the season at 4-0 and 6-2...they let the playoffs just slip away after that and that was it for Lou, the Bills and OJ, really until Knox's Bills.

OJ was truly one of the greatest RBs, but with dneveu's reference above, and recent thoughts on OJ's record setting 273 yards rushing for on Thanksgiving's Day shows 2  out of the only 6 times that OJ rushed for 200 yards. 

The more you know!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh, how quickly we forget.

He said regular season. 

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

1975 was OJ's best season. He had nearly 200 more yards from scrimmage than in the 1973 season, and he had 23 TDs in 1975 to 12 in 1973.  He averaged 15.2 yards per reception that season! Just unstoppable.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimpO.00.htm

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BTW, and I am honestly going off memory from the history of the Bills in team guides I used to look at as I was just a doe-eyed young lad in the 70s, that Bills team that finished an unfortunate 8-6 started the season at 4-0 and 6-2...they let the playoffs just slip away after that and that was it for Lou, the Bills and OJ really until Knox's Bills.

OJ was truly one of the greatest RBs, but with dneveu's reference above, and recent thoughts on OJ's record setting 273 yards rushed for on Thanksgiving's Day shows 2  out of the only 6 times that OJ rushed for 200 yards. 

The more you know!

I hope you’re not suggesting that six 200-yard games is a modest total.  No one has rushed for more, and OJ really only had five NFL seasons in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I hope you’re not suggesting that six 200-yard games is a modest total.  No one has rushed for more, and OJ really only had five NFL seasons in his prime.

I am absolutely not suggesting that. I am suggesting that history gets fuzzy as time goes by and some people think that such an event was a routine experience as a Bills fan.

It was not.  It was rare and special.

I believe Thurman may (may) have just had one, that Monday night game against the Jets.

Greg Bell had one too....against Dallas when the Bills didn't have a win yet, late in the season...84, I think.  I was there.

EDIT:  use of the word "only" doesn't insinuate an insult, just that such results were limited.

Edit 2:  @mannc  Thank you for pointing out the above so I could clarify.  I don't want there to be any confusion for what I was trying to say, which I should have expanded upon originally.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1