NFL Next Gen Stats - 6 Most Improved Players of 2019

First one up:

image.thumb.png.8f22edafdaeda34cbb394f1f348317d2.png

Josh Allen silencing his doubters?

Josh Allen was a polarizing QB prospect coming out of Wyoming in 2018, and his rookie season numbers (67.9 passer rating) didn't do him any favors with his doubters. But Allen has shown significant improvement in Year 2, notably in key areas for QB development: inside the tackle box and vs. the blitz. (....) Allen's split from inside the tackles looks more impressive since Week 5, throwing 10 TDs, 1 INT with a 103.2 rating on such passes. Allen has also improved vs. blitzes (2018: 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 58.1 passer rating; 2019: 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 83.6 passer rating) with a 7:0 TD-INT ratio and 109.0 passer rating vs. the blitz since Week 5.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001084100/next-gen-stats-compelling-figures-of-nfls-most-improved-players

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Funny that they mention versus the blitz after the last game. I trust Daboll will come up with a scheme to alleviate this concern in the future. (Of course, if you listen to WGR, Daboll should be fired posthaste!). 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Funny that they mention versus the blitz after the last game. I trust Daboll will come up with a scheme to alleviate this concern in the future. (Of course, if you listen to WGR, Daboll should be fired posthaste!). 

I'm not all the way through my all-22 yet, but I can say this so far:

1) Especially early on, there were open check-down and hot throws Allen didn't take.  He was going for the deep shot.  We can't tell if he did that upon instructions from Daboll or if it was his call.  From listening to both pressers I would say "probably some of both".  Later on Allen "settled in" and took some of those, and we moved the ball.

2) That he didn't take the quick reads is not all on Allen.  At times, the guys who were running possible hot routes didn't modify appropriately to be "QB friendly" under pressure.  If that's not on their menu, then that is something Daboll and the coaches DO need to change.  I'm talking about you, Kroft.

2a) and of course, when a freakin' ball comes their way, our guys have to haul it in and hold on, because one way to get the blitzes to back off is to Make Them Pay.  And you can't do that if the receivers aren't catching.

3) No scheme will hold up against failure to execute or correct execution that is overpowered by a superior opponent.  Our guys were just Pwned sometimes. 

3a) Of course, one can make the argument that if the scheme puts a player in position where they're asked to execute over their skill level, it's a Bad Scheme.

And then there's this:

There's a reason the Ravens came into our game having allowed an average of 13.2 points in their last 6 games, including holding the SF49ers (currently the top-scoring team in the NFC, 2nd in the NFL) to 17 points. 

In case anyone missed it, the 49ers turned around and hung 48 points on the Saints, who have a "meh" (middle of the pack) defense.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Especially early on, there were open check-down and hot throws Allen didn't take.  He was going for the deep shot.  We can't tell if he did that upon instructions from Daboll or if it was his call.  From listening to both pressers I would say "probably some of both"

2) That he didn't take them is not all on Allen.  At times, the guys who were running possible hot routes didn't modify appropriately to be "QB friendly" under pressure.  If that's not on their menu, then that is something Daboll and the coaches do need to change.

3) No scheme will hold up against failure to execute or correct execution that is overpowered by a superior opponent.  Our guys were just Pwned sometimes. 

4) Of course, one can make the argument that if the scheme puts a player in position where they're asked to execute over their skill level, it's a Bad Scheme.

5) When a freakin' ball comes their way, our guys have to haul it in and hold on.

And then there's this:

I suspect, based on Josh’s own statement, that he was going for the kill. I really believe he wants to hit some homerun balls and it showed. He should have taken what he could to move the chains. 

Agreed on execution but you can develop schemes to limit the blitz. The drops were more than frustrating. Drove me bonkers. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

that link is from last week. I saw it at the end of last week and thought about posting it but didn't bother....those numbers have most definitely changed now. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I suspect, based on Josh’s own statement, that he was going for the kill. I really believe he wants to hit some homer in balls and it showed. He should have taken what he could to move the chains. 

Listen to Daboll's presser carefully, with the knowledge in mind that to hit some deep shots is a #1 sure fire way to beat a Cover0 blitz.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

as I mentioned before 

no more 4 receiver sets when they blitz constantly 

We needed to see more protection for Josh 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Exactly. I think Josh is smart enough and athletic enough to execute a game plane. Daboll needs to get a handful of plays that can be run from different formations to help against blitzes. Every receiver needs to know their hot route if Josh see’s it coming at the line.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Listen to Daboll's presser carefully, with the knowledge in mind that to hit some deep shots is a #1 sure fire way to beat a Cover0 blitz.

He has to complete them then. There were some chances according to Daboll.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The problem is the talent of the team......if your offensive weapons are good enough they get open no matter what scheme is thrown at them by a defense.....and when they get the ball in their hands they make a guy miss and make big plays.

We need more Devin Singletary's

Agree. More talent at OT and WR and some development from guys like Knox and Singletary.

How about some designed bootlegs, roll outs and screens to back off the pressure on the blitz?  Daboll let Allen sit in the pocket and get pummeled all day long .
6 sacks and 12 other QB hits - how is that acceptable from your OC?

The last third down the Ravens had a free running safety come straight up the middle untouched because they knew Josh would be in the pocket.

5 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

How about some designed bootlegs, roll outs and screens to back off the pressure on the blitz?  Daboll let Allen sit in the pocket and get pummeled all day long .

The last third down the Ravens had a free running safety come straight up the middle untouched because they knew Josh would be in the pocket.

Can't roll out when they collapse the pocket on blitzes.  Also, they brought pressure to force Allen opposite side of Brown to ensure he couldn't find Brown cross field and hit him with a scramble pass. 

The only answer to cover 0 is to step up, make them pay deep or over the middle. 

The Ravens had zero respect for the pass game as will be the case with Pittsburgh and New England the next two weeks.  They will blitz and dare us to beat them with Allens arm.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

I'm with ya in ur general statement, but when a defense is blitzing that means theres opportunities to make them pay elsewhere & its on Allen to make those throws. Teams would be afraid to blitz vs Brady because he could diagnose where the pressure was coming from & make the correct read. I know comparing Allen to what Brady does is unfair, but just using that as an example that everyone can relate to.

This past Sunday Allen got blitzed like 80% of the time & there were times where open rushers got thru & Allen had no chance. But there were also times Allen left the pocket too soon where he didnt have to. These are parts of Allens game that hopefully will improve over time.

But Daboll would love to call some screen plays, especially vs a defense who's blitzing as much as the Ravens were. But all thruout the year, Allens throws on screenplays have been near disasters & now theyre pretty much nonexistent in the game plan.

I'm sure its something they've worked on in practice & you'd think with our athletic OL we'd have some success with them. But from what i've seen, Allen doesn't sell it good enough & he doesn't have that touch to throw it in there. His throws are more on a rope & as a result, the oncoming DE's or LBs get in the way & its just a mess of a play & a near disaster in the making. So with that being said, i think its probably wise we're not running more of them at this time.

Edited by brianthomas

We get blitzed like that again go max pro instead of spreading teams out. 
Max pro limits the reads and traffic a qb will have to look through. 

Spreading the ravens out might’ve worked if we would’ve turned it into a basketball game and ran pick routes. Watching the coaches film I only really saw the td pass to Beasley as anything close. 

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

as I mentioned before 

no more 4 receiver sets when they blitz constantly 

We needed to see more protection for Josh 

TBH I'm not sure that's the problem.   Although, we did give him better protection in the 2nd half.  Whatever adjustments we made, I'd like to understand why we couldn't make them earlier.

The more I look, the more I think that one of the biggest problems in this game was Josh going for the "chunk yards" instead of the "dink n dunk" plays, which on almost every play I've seen so far, were there and of course, if you keep dinking and dunking you move the chains and not only score, but keep the ball away from the Ravens offense. 

The question I have there is "why?"  Was that the game plan coming in - "we need to try to score 40 points so you gotta take big shots" or something?  Was the idea of being on the national stage again makes him feel he's got to show off his arm?  Is it that he really hasn't "bought in" to the "take what they give you"?  Or did he not see them?

I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH I'm not sure that's the problem. 

The more I look, the more I think that one of the biggest problems in this game was Josh going for the "chunk yards" instead of the "dink n dunk" plays, which on almost every play I've seen so far, were there.

Yes

Next time can we please just get the ball out quick and let our guys get RAC. Those plays are higher percentage and still have the same effect as hitting deep shots as it relates to getting them out of the “0” blitz. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

I'm with ya in ur general statement, but when a defense is blitzing that means theres opportunities to make them pay elsewhere & its on Allen to make those throws. Teams would be afraid to blitz vs Brady because he could diagnose where the pressure was coming from & make the correct read. I know comparing Allen to what Brady does is unfair, but just using that as an example that everyone can relate to.

This past Sunday Allen got blitzed like 80% of the time & there were times where open rushers got thru & Allen had no chance. But there were also times Allen left the pocket too soon where he didnt have to. These are parts of Allens game that hopefully will improve over time.

But Daboll would love to call some screen plays, especially vs a defense who's blitzing as much as the Ravens were. But all thruout the year, Allens throws on screenplays have been near disasters & now theyre pretty much nonexistent in the game plan.

I'm sure its something they've worked on in practice & you'd think with our athletic OL we'd have some success with them. But from what i've seen, Allen doesn't sell it good enough & he doesn't have that touch to throw it in there. His throws are more on a rope & as a result, the oncoming DE's or LBs get in the way & its just a mess of a play & a near disaster in the making. So with that being said, i think its probably wise we're not running more of them at this time.

I disagree. It’s on the linemen and RB or WR to “ sell “ the screen , not so much on Allen. All he has to do is look downfield while taking his drop. His throws are fine on the screen , it’s just usually set up so poorly that defenders are not fooled and already closing in on the RB or pass recipient. It takes a certain patience , and the OL can’t make it too obvious. They’re just not good at it, and that’s a huge liability to an offense as it takes away one antidote to relentless blitzing. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Especially early on, there were open check-down and hot throws Allen didn't take.  He was going for the deep shot.  We can't tell if he did that upon instructions from Daboll or if it was his call.  From listening to both pressers I would say "probably some of both".  Later on Allen "settled in" and took some of those, and we moved the ball.

2) That he didn't take the quick reads is not all on Allen.  At times, the guys who were running possible hot routes didn't modify appropriately to be "QB friendly" under pressure.  If that's not on their menu, then that is something Daboll and the coaches DO need to change.  I'm talking about you, Kroft.

2a) and of course, when a freakin' ball comes their way, our guys have to haul it in and hold on, because one way to get the blitzes to back off is to Make Them Pay.  And you can't do that if the receivers aren't catching.

3a) Of course, one can make the argument that if the scheme puts a player in position where they're asked to execute over their skill level, it's a Bad Scheme.

And then there's this:

There's a reason the Ravens came into our game having allowed an average of 13.2 points in their last 6 games, including holding the SF49ers (currently the top-scoring team in the NFC, 2nd in the NFL) to 17 points. 

In case anyone missed it, the 49ers turned around and hung 48 points on the Saints, who have a "meh" (middle of the pack) defense.

This is almost exactly what I saw on tape re: offense. Not going to look too deeply at defense as we won’t use that game plan again unless we meet the Ravens again this year. Well done

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Can't roll out when they collapse the pocket on blitzes.  Also, they brought pressure to force Allen opposite side of Brown to ensure he couldn't find Brown cross field and hit him with a scramble pass. 

The only answer to cover 0 is to step up, make them pay deep or over the middle. 

The Ravens had zero respect for the pass game as will be the case with Pittsburgh and New England the next two weeks.  They will blitz and dare us to beat them with Allens arm.

The bad thing is the Steelers, Pats, and Jets saw this tape.  The difference is they don’t have the same talent as the Ravens.  They were well coached, and without being at the game, I suspect at least a few times he could have hit someone underneath.  That doesn’t mean I don’t like Josh, just he’s a work in progress.

I’ve said several times, P. Manning was 3-13 his first year due to a lack of talent and his decision making.  Brady didn’t look that sharp his first two years, but had an incredible defense.  Outside of the Ravens he has dramatically improved after the first four games.

• Like (+1) 3