Projected 2020 Salary Cap has been given to teams. Could be over 200, Bills should have 90+M to work with

MAJBobby

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

7-9M AVV should be enough. 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cut murphy and give him Shaq'a contract.....we have Johnson and we can draft another pass rusher

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This is what I hope happens.  I think Shaq stays for 8 million per on 4 years.

All sounds reasonable to me.

I would not miss Murphy. I was cheering for him, but his play does not justify his contract.

Although after last week, the entire country should know who Murphy is. How many times did CBS have a close-up of his face? 4-5 times?

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Which might be a good thing because he can rotate on both LDE and RDE.

I think that good value especially if they can draft a pass rushing LDE fairly high (2nd or 3rd round).

I am thinking about buying a Pass Rusher in UFA. However I could go with a high draft pick 2nd or 3rd if no good target in UFA. 

I think a 17M AVV for a Judon could fit. (But that’s does mean you are moving in from Murphy or Hughes.)

With the cap ever-increasing, it's too hard to get true game changers in FA.  We need to trade for some, and give massive contracts to those guys.  A TE, a WR, a RT.  And resign all of our guys.  

I'm confident Beans can find value guys to l

Sign, like Feliciano and Phillips, but it's a small pool to pick from.  Trade for OJ Howard!!!!  And Mike Evans (I can dream)

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am thinking about buying a Pass Rusher in UFA. However I could go with a high draft pick 2nd or 3rd if no good target in UFA. 

I think a 17M AVV for a Judon could fit. (But that’s does mean you are moving in from Murphy or Hughes.)

I've thought about the high $ DE in FA too.  I guess it would have to be someone they are all-in on.

If they do it has to work real well because it will be a lot of money for DEs.

Hughes could potentially be let go after next year if need be to balance the $s.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I've thought about the high $ DE in FA too.  I guess it would have to be someone they are all-in on.

If they do it has to work real well because it will be a lot of money for DEs.

Hughes could potentially be let go after next year if need be to balance the $s.

as long as Josh is on his rookie deal you can have money tied up in other places for the next couple years. That is why I am on the buy a UFA DE if there is a fit for them. 

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

that’s about where I have his value too. Somewhere between 7-9AVV

I would agree on the worth of that kind of deal, but seriously? If the guy continues as is someone is going to pay waaaay more than that. The way contracts are going he’s going to get an insane deal by our standards. 
Beane is never going to match or pay more than his value but other teams will. I have been a shaq supporter since day one and I hate to see him go but as soon as they declined the option he was gone. Should of picked that option up so they could negotiate exclusively instead of letting him into the bidding war. Now he’s improved his value quite a bit and this is probably the biggest payday of his career. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

as long as Josh is on his rookie deal you can have money tied up in other places for the next couple years. That is why I am on the buy a UFA DE if there is a fit for them. 

I agree about being all in while JA is on the rookie deal.

Personally I have a feeling that if an OLB FA is out there that fits the scheme they go after one to replace Lorax.

Either way it is great to have picks and FA money without many big holes!

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The only part that's really verifiable is the part that Whaley didn't have the team in salary cap trouble during his tenure or immediately thereafter. The part about 'always scheduled to be cap rich 2018-20' assumes that Whaley, had he stayed, wouldn't have committed $$$ to guys like Dareus, Watkins, Manuel et al...and there's no reason to think he wouldn't have. Avoiding paying bad contract for mediocre players is a major component of staying out of 'cap hell', and Beane's approach has worked thus far. Also they lost 10 games a bunch of times since 2010.

Actually the reason the Bills were scheduled to have a great cap situation was that they didn't have a lot of key free agents coming up.     By missing on EJ Manuel and trading the 2015 1st round pick they were not slated to have those two big free agent decisions in 2018 and 2020.     That positioned them very well to pay both Gilmore and Watkins without stressing the cap.   They also had a lot of expensive veterans coming off the books between 2018-2020.   Eric Wood, McCoy, Incognito, Kyle Williams, Hughes to name a few and even the Dareus deal was heavily backloaded so he was a pretty easy contract to shed after 2018.  Tyrod Taylor was also eating up a lot of space and was someone not committed to.   We had those discussions here at the time.    The projections were that they were going to be about where they are now.    McBeane have actually spent a lot of money in the short term...........and more of those players have been relatively bad value than good.    Their first free agent class was ALL bad value plus they extended Eric Wood which backfired etc..   

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I would not miss Murphy. I was cheering for him, but his play does not justify his contract.

Although after last week, the entire country should know who Murphy is. How many times did CBS have a close-up of his face? 4-5 times?

Murphy is one ugly looking dude, almost as ugly as his play.  Watching his play, Murphy was owned by the RT; pushed back and blocked to the ground.  When he does get in the vicinity of the QB and tries for a sack, he usually misses.  Just not an impact player at DE.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I'm fine with moving on from Hughes and Murphy.  With regard to Hughes, having a DT that the refs allow the LT to hold, drive into the ground with his arm around Hughes' neck, and not call a holding penalty probably due to Hughes' history with the officials creates a useless situation.  Hughes' value is not greater than what the LT is allowed to negate.

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It’s possible we could see Hughes, star, Murphy, J Phillips and shaq all gone next season. Kind of extreme but possible. 
Obviously most of us would like to keep shaq and Phillips. I think Hughes is about gassed out and Lawson seems to rush better from that side too. 

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually the reason the Bills were scheduled to have a great cap situation was that they didn't have a lot of key free agents coming up.     By missing on EJ Manuel and trading the 2015 1st round pick they were not slated to have those two big free agent decisions in 2018 and 2020.     That positioned them very well to pay both Gilmore and Watkins without stressing the cap.   They also had a lot of expensive veterans coming off the books between 2018-2020.   Eric Wood, McCoy, Incognito, Kyle Williams, Hughes to name a few and even the Dareus deal was heavily backloaded so he was a pretty easy contract to shed after 2018.  Tyrod Taylor was also eating up a lot of space and was someone not committed to.   We had those discussions here at the time.    The projections were that they were going to be about where they are now.    McBeane have actually spent a lot of money in the short term...........and more of those players have been relatively bad value than good.    Their first free agent class was ALL bad value plus they extended Eric Wood which backfired etc..   

With this track record of success, Whaley must be turning down more NFL gigs than Greg Williams. I’ll give you the guy was a decent evaluator of talent, who never really got the opportunity to run his own show. However, in the end, he just wasn’t good enough and was shown the door. It’s not personal for me. He seemed like a good enough guy, but just wasn’t good enough. 

Edited by TheProcess

50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are right about the record being equal to last year's awful Bills but Whaley didn't take over entirely until after the draft in 2013..........Buddy got his QB picked and turned it over to Whaley.........I've heard a lot of BS about the Whaley era but this is ABSOLUTELY the first I've heard that he was "in the driver seat" in 2011 and 2012. ?   

Weird that you used the Bills record’s since 2010 to defend Whaley then, isn’t it?

Whaley signed off on Rex Ryan as HC. He is an indefensible GM.

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Weird that you used the Bills record’s since 2010 to defend Whaley then, isn’t it?

Whaley signed off on Rex Ryan as HC. He is an indefensible GM.

I thought the Pegulas picked Rex because they wanted a “big name” I could be wrong but I want to say Whaley wanted an offensive coach? From Atlanta maybe at the time? Kyle Shanahan? 

Whaley wasn’t that terrible. He wanted to hit homeruns he just missed on some big ones and hit on some under the radar ones. He did build arguably the best defense for one season I have ever watched live. 
I actually was so excited and thought he had a steal in Bryce Brown that kid really looked promising in Philly and they were loaded with backs.. Until he got here. If EJ Manual would of hit even as a fringe starting quarterback (Alex smith, Foles, Flacco kind of guys) it’s possible Whaley would still be here. Rex would of been done regardless I have never seen a worse coach. 

Either way his tenure ended ugly and his picks mostly washed out. His time here was a failure but he takes an awful lot of hate on here. I liked the aggressive nature he had. 
We should be thanking him though, without him we never get Beane and mcdermott which regardless of some opinions or how their time ends here are very good at their jobs. What mcdermott has already done with inferior rosters previous to this season speaks volumes. Definition of maxing players potential last season with the ugliest roster. And I don’t think anyone can argue Beane is not some sort of magical wizard at contracts and trades. Draft is still to be determined but sure looks good there too. 

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yep, Murphy is a no brained to be cut. I trust Beane and the F.O. To handle the offseason. I don’t think they will get in a bidding war for Shaq. They have watched Shaq firsthand and know exactly who he is and what motivates him. It may just be coincidence that this is Shaw’s best year and also a contract year. It might of taken Shaq this long to adjust. Either way I trust what they do. 
Personally I’d rather see Lee Smith go than Kroft for next year. Let Knox, Sweeney, and Kroft be your projected actives. Draft a guy late. I haven’t seen or heard much from Smith the last three weeks, since he is basically a sixth olineman I guess that’s good. 

In terms of Shaq he was really coming on last year. It just went a little under the radar. He seems to still be ascending. Shaq is liked in the locker room and raises the floor. I’d have no issue paying him the exact same $9M that they are scheduled to pay Murphy.  I think that the Bills would like to bring him back but it will need to make sense for both sides.

I’m fine getting rid of Smith and Kroft. Sweeney can fill the Smith role imo to some degree. Smith is a good blocker. Kroft is just too much for a guy that’s always hurt. You can’t pay $6.6M to your #2 TE. There are a bunch of guys that you can get for a third of the price. Someone like Lance Kendricks is an example of a FA that could come cheap as a #2 TE.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I doubt it. Likely they keep that defense together and try to get a vet QB. Cam??

We can do a 3 way trade...

We get McCaffrey and Kuechly, and Mack from Bears(just kidding no way to add him)

Bears get Cam

We send a bunch of picks to Panthers and probably Mack and Trubisky from Bears.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

We can do a 3 way trade...

We get McCaffrey and Kuechly, and Mack from Bears(just kidding no way to add him)

Bears get Cam

We send a bunch of picks to Panthers and probably Mack and Trubisky from Bears.

Lol this won’t even work on madden.. Fun idea though

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Lets go raid the Falcons roster!! Austin Hooper,  Vic Beasley, Julio??

Atlanta has plenty of money. They can make a lot of easy cuts and free a ton of money up. 
All depends on who the new coach is cause you know Quinn is done there. GM probably as well. Vikings may be losing some decent players though. They’re a good roster to keep an eye on. Panthers have a few nice players but I don’t think they would sell off anyone of real value. McCaffrey and Kuechly have to stay put or they’ll never sell a ticket. 

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Lets go raid the Falcons roster!! Austin Hooper,  Vic Beasley, Julio??

Beasley and Hooper are FAs next year so no raiding needed.

Julio just signed a massive contract and has like 50 million in Dead money.

Even a trade would be a massive hit for ATL.

• Thank you (+1) 1