Moral and immoral victories - This week's Buff News Fan column

Kelly the Dog

3 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I can't remember, but more than likely, those two good punts were with the wind at this back.  I could be wrong.

The wind was apparently a total PITA switching directions and swirling around because the 67 yd punt was followed by a 35 yd punt going in the same direction in the same quarter, about 4 minutes later.

Either that, or Bojo is just hella inconsistent.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One of his two longer punts was a lousy punt that took a very fortunate bounce when the Raven decided not to try to catch it. He was pretty awful most of the day.

Fair

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I'm out of here.

Good. lol. On the first two if you watch the play live he easily has time and space to make a clean throw. In the captures the ball has left his hand and he STILL has enough space and time. He had room to step up and throw and follow through.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The wind was apparently a total PITA switching directions and swirling around because the 67 yd punt was followed by a 35 yd punt going in the same direction in the same quarter, about 4 minutes later.

Either that, or Bojo is just hella inconsistant.

That's my take on him and why he's due to be replaced as soon as they can. For ST, you want consistency. He is the opposite of that despite making some monster kicks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. You would much rather have a P who kicks two 45 yarders than a 60 and a 30.

Man, a 45 yard punt would be music to my ears the way he's been all year.  I'm tired of him giving opposing teams a short field.  Thank God for our defense to bail him out most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Man, a 45 yard punt would be music to my ears the way he's been all year.  I'm tired of him giving opposing teams a short field.  Thank God for our defense to bail him out most of the time.

Yep. he's about 27th in the league with about a 42 yard ave and 38 net. That ain't good.

• Sad 1

In amateur sports, there are moral victories.

If you are a division III basketball team playing Duke and the game is close, that is a moral victory

In Professional sports, there are no moral victories - you are paid to compete and theoretically should be  the equal of any of your opponents

Moral victories are for losers!

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Still blows my mind that we didn't draw up a play for Beasley on that final play.  With that close to the goal, Beasley makes all the sense in the world cuz he finds ways to get open.  And it's still hard to swallow the fact that if we would've won that game, winning the division would've been completely in our control.  It can still be done, but it'll be much harder.  Or we should've just beaten Cleveland.  Either way, let's just get to double digit wins and get into the playoffs.  We will build on our losses and if we wind up playing a team for a second or third time in the playoffs, we'll be much tougher and more prepared.

he's bracketed

12 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

In amateur sports, there are moral victories.

If you are a division III basketball team playing Duke and the game is close, that is a moral victory

In Professional sports, there are no moral victories - you are paid to compete and theoretically should be  the equal of any of your opponents

Moral victories are for losers!

moral victory is the wrong term ...but measuring stick ? yep and it does build confidence 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The first two he clearly had time and space to throw. That isnt even a question. I'm not even sure you can see on your third one in the pic you showed, it is after he threw. He had time on all three. Did he have all day long? No. But it is a throw he needs to hit. At LEAST one of the three and probably two. The drops, for the most part, were blatant drops and nothing to do with Josh's duress, they are all on the receivers. Knox's big one was brutal. I was clearly exaggerating that Knox decided not to block Judon and I totally agree with you that he should not be placed in that situation (and I love Knox) but it was a weak effort, he barely slowed him whatsoever, and if it was Daboll or Josh that put him in that situation that is still an indictment of the offense as a whole in this game which was the point. If you or anyone thought the offense deserves a B, fine. I just think it was a C against a very good defense.

Yeah, I thought Bojo had his clown shoes on again, and Roberts was subpar on returns, but Hauschka nailed all three including a fairly long one when we needed him and needed him to regain confidence, and our coverage was good all day, so that's a B.

this is good stuff.....WGR needs to on here.....im not a josh allen excuse guy etc...there are things that prevent a good throw if  you watch other teams around the league. I wonder how many of us Bills fan don't

3 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Still blows my mind that we didn't draw up a play for Beasley on that final play.  With that close to the goal, Beasley makes all the sense in the world cuz he finds ways to get open.  And it's still hard to swallow the fact that if we would've won that game, winning the division would've been completely in our control.  It can still be done, but it'll be much harder.  Or we should've just beaten Cleveland.  Either way, let's just get to double digit wins and get into the playoffs.  We will build on our losses and if we wind up playing a team for a second or third time in the playoffs, we'll be much tougher and more prepared.

Apparently he was the second read and was open enough for a potential score. The first read was Brown and he had single coverage. I still don't think he ran a great pattern on that play at that time with just the CB on him. That could and maybe should have been a score. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sorry OP but that offense gets a D as does the ST. Our defense has carried the remaining 66% of this team on their backs all year long.

This just proves I got it right since the other complaint about the offensive rating said it should have been a B. :lol:

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh was a C. The line was a C. The receivers dropped 4-6 passes, which is a C. Singletary was good but dropped two balls, Gore and Josh did nothing for the run game so I thought it was a C. 

I added 4 Cs up, divided by C, and got C. ;)

You should’ve gotten four!  Style points for H.L. Menken!

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Apparently he was the second read and was open enough for a potential score. The first read was Brown and he had single coverage. I still don't think he ran a great pattern on that play at that time with just the CB on him. That could and maybe should have been a score. 

This just proves I got it right since the other complaint about the offensive rating said it should have been a B. :lol:

Pretty much it.

If the offense executes 1-2 more plays that game, we tie or win outright. And when there’s more than a handful of miscues, that means the offense wasn’t all that great.

6 hours ago, Motorin' said:

It's pretty simple, does the team use positives in a loss to build on and get better? That's the important thing.

Said it perfectly. I tend to disagree with the premise that there's an actual "moral" victory. You..play...to...win...the...game.

If they go into Pittsburgh and build on the positive things they did and negate the negative things they did, then the game may have served a positive purpose. If they go into Pittsburgh and lay an egg, then the game may have served a negative purpose.

Looking back at the Ravens game and trying to extrapolate whether it was a "good loss" or simply a loss is an exercise in futility. It's always THIS WEEK in the NFL and Pitt. is a CRITICAL game.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That's my take on him and why he's due to be replaced as soon as they can. For ST, you want consistency. He is the opposite of that despite making some monster kicks.

Exactly. Bojo is a mixed bag because there are times in which he shocks you and rocks one, but punter is the last position you'd want a "mixed bag" from on an NFL roster. You don't want some kind of huge disparity per punt. That 65 yarder is great, but the 33 yarder is more harmful than that 65 yarder is helpful.

You could argue kicker and QB are in the discussion, but it's only natural that a kicker is going to miss a few and a QB is going to have an off day. There's no reason to accept off days from a punter.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Exactly. Bojo is a mixed bag because there are times when he shocks you and rocks one, but punter is the last position you'd want a "mixed bag" from an NFL roster.

You could argue kicker and QB are in the discussion, but it's only natural that a kicker is going to miss a few and a QB is going to have an off day. There's no reason to accept off days from a punter.

Yep. I call him Bojo the Clown.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I re-watched the final play a few times yesterday and immediately noticed that. Beas comes out of his break right about when josh releases the ball. Minimum, he would have had an easy 1st but very well could have walked in for a score. Brown has single coverage so can’t really fault the read and Josh made a good enough throw to get the score. The DB had great positioning and made a really good play on the ball. He knew the route and made the play. Lots can be learned from the film room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And libations!

By 8:00 pm Sunday with all the nervous drinking I'll be doing. Could get ugly. Never realized how much I liked the 1:00 start. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt