No Defensive/Special Teams Touchdowns

wiseman3

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Well it's not from lack of trying on the KO return.

Roberts has the green light whenever he's "feeling it"

No kidding this is driving me nuts. He cost the Bills 5-10 yards of field position on a couple of kickoffs vs. Baltimore. 

I am not exactly "concerned" about the lack of ST or especially defensive touchdowns, but I do think it calls into question Roberts value to the team. He had one nice kick-off return and is clearly adept at fielding punts and picking up a few yards. So it's not like he's made egregious mistakes, but to hold down an active roster spot without contributing on offense at all, he needs to do more. 

• Like (+1) 1

I expected more form  the ST unit with Roberts, but he is leading the league in avg KO return yardage I believe. On defense in 2017 we had 3 TD's, two off of fumble recoveries and the other an INT return. That year everything seemed to bounce our way. This year we haven't gotten those breaks, but are still 9-4 only needing one more victory in the last 3 games to get into the playoffs. It would be nice to get a fortunate TD here or there on defense and have a kick/punt returned for a TD, but such is life. Hopefully Lady Luck rolls with us once we get into January. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Does anyone see what made him a pro bowl returner? I’m clearly missing something 

Probably some really well blocked returns ( one against the Bills I believe) He’s good and sure handed, but the Bills ST group is one of the worst at blocking that I’ve seen in a long time. They rarely get blocks set up for an effective return. At least they’ve stopped blocking guys in the back because they’re out of position. No block is still better than a penalty, but they’re really bad. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

No kidding this is driving me nuts. He cost the Bills 5-10 yards of field position on a couple of kickoffs vs. Baltimore. 

I am not exactly "concerned" about the lack of ST or especially defensive touchdowns, but I do think it calls into question Roberts value to the team. He had one nice kick-off return and is clearly adept at fielding punts and picking up a few yards. So it's not like he's made egregious mistakes, but to hold down an active roster spot without contributing on offense at all, he needs to do more. 

I think the issue is that Baltimore's STs are good. It's one thing to return vs. Dallas, which has terrible STs, and another to try your luck against an old ST coach like Harbaugh. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What's "technically" about it?  We had one

The funny thing is that it was a terrible idea to return it for a TD. He should have taken a knee and ended the game. The Bills D had to then go out and play something like another half-dozen plays before it ended. That's how unnecessary injuries happen. 

2 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

Am I the only one concerned about this? We haven't had a pick 6, fumble recovery for TD, or any kick/punt returns for TD. Is this bad luck? Or a bigger problem? It seems like some teams (Steelers) have been huge with this and its won them some close games. It would be nice if we could get some additional scoring, especially when the offense needs a boost  

Yes we have. We have a kick return TD>

For those plays to churn out TDs, you need a combination of a mistake from your opponent, great simultaneous play by multiple Bills, and some luck.  It's not concerning, it's just the reality of how typical these plays are in general.

I've been looking for a big time defensive TD over the last few games, but no dice. I feel like it's gonna happen, though. Perhaps a rookie third string QB is just what they need to get a pick-six or a strip-sack-scoop-n-score...yeesh, say that five times fast. I'd been feeling like Edmunds was due to get a turnover and he got a pick Sunday... unfortunately the offense couldn't do jack with the extra possession. Hopefully it happens, players on defense have said several times this season that Frazier emphasizes taking the ball away constantly so it's not like they're not trying to get one, but tackling is priority. I just shake my head when you see a defender stand up to a ball carrier and try to strip the ball as opposed to making the tackle. Most times the defender ends up going for a ride as he's dragged across the field while the ball carrier picks up another 5-10  yards. 

I'mma call it. I never call anything, too afraid of the jinx but eff it, here goes: Edmunds with the pick-six midway through the 3rd this Sunday night.

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Probably some really well blocked returns ( one against the Bills I believe) He’s good and sure handed, but the Bills ST group is one of the worst at blocking that I’ve seen in a long time. They rarely get blocks set up for an effective return. At least they’ve stopped blocking guys in the back because they’re out of position. No block is still better than a penalty, but they’re really bad. 

This is true, I wonder if they're being coached to just run interference & don't risk a border line penalty.