No Defensive/Special Teams Touchdowns

wiseman3

Am I the only one concerned about this? We haven't had a pick 6, fumble recovery for TD, or any kick/punt returns for TD. Is this bad luck? Or a bigger problem? It seems like some teams (Steelers) have been huge with this and its won them some close games. It would be nice if we could get some additional scoring, especially when the offense needs a boost  

Edited by wiseman3
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

Am I the only one concerned about this? We haven't had a pick 6, fumble recovery for TD, or any kick/punt returns for TD. Is this bad luck? Or a bigger problem? It seems like some teams (Steelers) have been huge with this and its won them some close games. It would be nice if we could get some additional scoring, especially when the offense needs a boost  

It's killed us in all 4 losses that's for sure.

Most of the time defensive TDs are the result of a fortunate bounce.  If the strip sack against Dallas bounces up the right way, it’s a TD.   If that weird sideways pass Jackson threw that was deflected pops up in the air it might be a TD.  Point is, you can’t expect those things to happen, sometimes they just do.

I’d much rather have a defense that consistently limits opponents from moving the ball than one that gets a few flukey TDs.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

yes my Concern-o-Meter is reading off the charts on this completely arbitrary and luck-based statistic.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

we did have the Hyde return.  But the point is well taken.  Increasing the turnover margin would be a helpful thing as the games get more important.  

It’s kind of an oddity for a team with a 9-4 record. Some of it might be just bad luck, and some is the style of defense they’ve played most of the year. Generating lots of takeaways is usually not sustainable, so in a way it’s good. The bad side is the Bills have a technically sound defense , but are lacking in guys that force turnovers. It would certainly help matters, as the offense continues to struggle. 

• Like (+1) 1

So what you are saying is this style of winning IS sustainable?

I keed.  I saw an interesting stat about turnovers:

The 2016 Patriots became the first team to win a Super Bowl with less than 25 takeaways. They had 23, but were plus-12 and finished third overall. Only seven Super Bowl winners have ever finished with a negative number in the turnover category, with the 2015 Broncos (minus-4, ranked 19th) being the last one.

Currently the Bills only have 16.  The Niners, Patriots, Steelers, and Seahawks have already reached that threshold and all look to be playoff bound. 

There are 16 teams that have a positive to differential and only the Redskins, Cardinals, and Broncos have a losing record.  I found that to be the most interesting stat looking around.  

• Like (+1) 1

it is surprising we don't have one yet.  A lot of it may be the bills force a good number of punts so that limits the opportunities as less plays against them.  Still surprised we don't have one yet.  Sunday night would be a great time for one.

I think it's the offense.  

Turnovers generally come from pressure.  Teams don't feel pressure against us because:

1) Our offense doesn't scare anyone.  The other team doesn't need to take chances because it's not like we're going to make them pay for 3 and outs, and our defensive secondary is SO dangerous that they're not going to throw into its teeth.  That's suicide.  We'd lead the league in picks if they did.

2) Our offense doesn't win the field position battle.  There's less pressure to make plays when you're not consistently in situations where you have to drive the whole field.

• Like (+1) 1

Concerns me every single week good teams get those.  For those of you too young to remember watch some video of the early 90s Bills games. Seems like they were constantly getting those for some reason this team is not.

Edited by ALLEN1QB

40 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

I would say points off turnovers is more of what I would like to see increase.  For instance in the Baltimore game we got that great pick...zero points.  Ravens get the fumble...7 points.  Direct D scoring would be great but with a short field after a turnover I would like to see more points converted.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Luka said:

It's killed us in all 4 losses that's for sure.

Baltimore didn't have a defensive or Special Teams TD against us. Neither did the Eagles or Browns.  Only the Patriots had the blocked punt TD against us in a loss.