WAY’OFF’ TOPIC’: Apostrophe’s!

Dr. K

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is not the place for that opinion. My writing has to be perfect all day, everyday at work. I come here to not worry about that stuff.  I throw around typos like it is my job. 

Sure. Everybody makes mistakes or can't be bothered sometimes. Me, too. 

But I (and suspect you, too) know the difference between a mistake and ignorance. Ignorance is not really anything to be ashamed about. We're all ignorant about things we don't know. But once you've learned, is it so hard to get it right?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I know this is not something most people care about, but please, for the love of God, YOU DO NOT NEED AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE A SINGULAR NOUN PLURAL. IT IS ALWAYS WRONG. 

It's "the Bills" not "the Bill's." The "Patriots," not the "Patriot's." I saw two "dogs" in the street. Not "dog's."

I know that is is a common mistake--but it's the fact that it's so common that drives me nuts. There are some tricky rules for apostrophes, and everybody makes mistakes sometimes, but THIS IS NOT HARD.

Do an old man a favor and learn this simple rule. Your life will be immeasurably better, your sex life will improve, and your income will jump by 15%, and the Bills will beat the Pats. 

REMEMBER:

• Possessive pronouns like its, his, hers, ours, whose, theirs, etc. NEVER take an apostrophe. Ever ever ever.
  • For the love of god, apostrophes do not make things plural. 

And I would like to add: Your all idiots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I know this is not something most people care about, but please, for the love of God, YOU DO NOT NEED AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE A SINGULAR NOUN PLURAL. IT IS ALWAYS WRONG. 

It's "the Bills" not "the Bill's." The "Patriots," not the "Patriot's." I saw two "dogs" in the street. Not "dog's."

I know that this is a common mistake--but it's the fact that it's so common that drives me nuts. There are some tricky rules for apostrophes, and everybody makes mistakes sometimes, but THIS IS NOT HARD.

Do an old man a favor and learn this simple rule. Your life will be immeasurably better, your sex life will improve, and your income will jump by 15%, and the Bills will beat the Pats. 

REMEMBER:

• Possessive pronouns like its, his, hers, ours, whose, theirs, etc. NEVER take an apostrophe. Ever ever ever.
  • For the love of god, apostrophes do not make things plural. 

Dr, I may need this on the PPP board, is the possessive Keynes' or Keynes's?

Also, take heart that you're not a Jets fan.....

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Dr, I may need this on the PPP board, is the possessive Keynes' or Keynes's?

Also, take heart that you're not a Jets fan.....

Sure, move it to wherever is appropriate.

I think both of those possessives are correct. There is some leeway in these things. 

Every day I thank the Lord that I am not a Jets fan. 

Edited by Dr. K

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So you posted something you know is way off topic to the football forum and not the appropriate one because you got triggered...makes sense.

I'm not sure calling people out for poor grammar is being "triggered", it's more like asking the question "I know it's almost 2020, but don't we have SOME standards in the world in which we live?". :D 

I have two employees on my team that do this constantly; every presentation there's at least ~4 of these to be fixed!  My girl would approve of this thread, this is her biggest pet peeve too!!  :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nice. Can we get a short tutorial on “ would have “ while we’re at it ? If you’ve seen the countless posts featuring “ would of” ,you’ll know what I mean. 

Hey, empty head!  It’s ‘could have’, not ‘could of’!

Short enough?  ?

• Haha (+1) 2