WAY’OFF’ TOPIC’: Apostrophe’s!

Dr. K

40 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Hey!!! I'm not a idiot!!!:bag:

Always enjoyed the operator’s shack at a worksite years ago, where some sage coworker had spray painted ‘IDOIT AT WORK’ on the outside.  They must run in packs.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Could've or Should've.

If I could’ve, I would’ve...but I couldn’t, so I douldn’t.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

I'm not sure calling people out for poor grammar is being "triggered", it's more like asking the question "I know it's almost 2020, but don't we have SOME standards in the world in which we live?". :D 

I have two employees on my team that do this constantly; every presentation there's at least ~4 of these to be fixed!  My girl would approve of this thread, this is her biggest pet peeve too!!  :beer:

Great, let's have everyone's pet peeves in the football forum.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Great, let's have everyone's pet peeves in the football forum.

Well, the good Dr. with his 19 years of TBD service gets a little leniency with what's "on topic".  :beer: 

Wondering though, are the Fun Police a sub-set of the Grammar Nazis, or their own division altogether? ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

Hello. I am sorry that others' grammar usage is offensive.  May I offer some advice? One - try yoga before reading forums. Two - maybe don't read forums. Three - maybe see your primary care physician for medicinal intervention to help with this issue. Good luck with the rest of your life's endeavors.

Thank you so much for correctly writing the plural possessive. 

People also need to learn it's vs its, along with obvious things like their/there/they're and to/too.

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I know this is not something most people care about, but please, for the love of God, YOU DO NOT NEED AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE A SINGULAR NOUN PLURAL. IT IS ALWAYS WRONG. 

It's "the Bills" not "the Bill's." The "Patriots," not the "Patriot's." I saw two "dogs" in the street. Not "dog's."

I know that this is a common mistake--but it's the fact that it's so common that drives me nuts. There are some tricky rules for apostrophes, and everybody makes mistakes sometimes, but THIS IS NOT HARD.

Do an old man a favor and learn this simple rule. Your life will be immeasurably better, your sex life will improve, and your income will jump by 15%, and the Bills will beat the Pats. 

REMEMBER:

• Possessive pronouns like its, his, hers, ours, whose, theirs, etc. NEVER take an apostrophe. Ever ever ever.
  • For the love of god, apostrophes do not make things plural. 

This story recounts the tale of a defender of the apostrophe who has thrown in the towel. But he has a new target: “The use of the comma is appalling,” he said. “When I read some newspaper websites they just don’t understand what it is used for.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/02/apostrophe-protection-society-john-richards-england/

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

some people shouldn't have access to the internet. grow up

No need to prohibit usage for the illiterate. They (you) can just be segregated to your own ends. 

To cross the boundary, there will be a test. 

Edited by Sundancer

19 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

My wife is a 10th grade English teacher, so I’m always on best behavior.

She tell her class that every time they misuse  an apostrophe on a plural word, God kills a puppy, ha.

Maybe the Almighty should be eliminating grammar and punctuation offenders, not innocent dogs...

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Sure, move it to wherever is appropriate.

I think both of those possessives are correct. There is some leeway in these things. 

Every day I thank the Lord that I am not a Jets fan. 

Both are acceptable in today’s world. But technically, making a singular possessive requires an apostrophe s. Keynes is singular, so Keynes’s is the more appropriate form.