WAY’OFF’ TOPIC’: Apostrophe’s!

Dr. K

I know this’is not something most people care about, but please, for the love of ‘God’, YOU DO NOT NEED AN APOS’TRPHY TO MAKE A SINGULAR NOUN PLURAL. IT IS’ ALWAYS WRONG. 

It's "the Bills" not "the Bill's." The "Patriots," not the "Patriot's." I saw two "dogs" in the street. Not "dog's."

I know that this is a common mistake--but it's the fact that it's so common that drive’S me nut’s There are some tricky rule’s for apostrophe’s, and everybody makes mistake’s sometime’s, but THIS IS NOT HARD.

Do an old man a favor and learn this simple rule. Your life will be immeasurably better, your s’ex life will improve, and your income will jump by 15%, and the Bill’s will beat the Pat’s. 

REMEMBER:

• Possessive pronouns like its, his, hers, ours, whose, theirs, etc. NEVER take an apostrophe. Ever’ ever’ ever.
  • For the love of god, apostrophe’s do not make things plural. 
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If a dog is eating my homework.....

MAY I say “the dog’s eating my homework?”?”?”?”?

Additionally, does the question mark belong inside or outside of the quotation marks?

What are the rules for applying states of being to proper nouns?

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I know this is not something most people care about, but please, for the love of God, YOU DO NOT NEED AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE A SINGULAR NOUN PLURAL. IT IS ALWAYS WRONG........

Hello. I am sorry that others' grammar usage is offensive.  May I offer some advice? One - try yoga before reading forums. Two - maybe don't read forums. Three - maybe see your primary care physician for medicinal intervention to help with this issue. Good luck with the rest of your life's endeavors.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Am I going to get smacked with a  ruler to the back of my hand today?

Not if you say three Our Fathers and make a good Act of Contrition. 

Edited by Dr. K

8 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Hello. I am sorry that others' grammar usage is offensive.  May I offer some advice? One - try yoga before reading forums. Two - maybe don't read forums. Three - maybe see your primary care physician for medicinal intervention to help with this issue. Good luck with the rest of your life's endeavors.

Ignorance is no sin - delighting in it is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You do realize that all new phones have auto correct so when you type Bills it comes up Bill's unless you hit the check. People aren't doing it on purpose. 

I did not know that. But it's in keeping with my belief that grammar checkers are moronic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I know this is not something most people care about, but please, for the love of God, YOU DO NOT NEED AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE A SINGULAR NOUN PLURAL. IT IS ALWAYS WRONG. 

It's "the Bills" not "the Bill's." The "Patriots," not the "Patriot's." I saw two "dogs" in the street. Not "dog's."

I know that is is a common mistake--but it's the fact that it's so common that drives me nuts. There are some tricky rules for apostrophes, and everybody makes mistakes sometimes, but THIS IS NOT HARD.

Do an old man a favor and learn this simple rule. Your life will be immeasurably better, your sex life will improve, and your income will jump by 15%, and the Bills will beat the Pats. 

REMEMBER:

• Possessive pronouns like its, his, hers, ours, whose, theirs, etc. NEVER take an apostrophe. Ever ever ever.
  • For the love of god, apostrophes do not make things plural. 

And to be clear, the other correct use is to make a possessive: The Bills' OL is mediocre, but that's [contraction] much better than before when last season's OL was simply awful.

• Like (+1) 1