The Patriots Have a Tom Brady Problem

From the Wall Street Journal (paywall):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-patriots-have-a-tom-brady-problem-11575905620?cx_testId=30&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

It is behind a paywall, but (for Pats fans) this is probably the most incisive and troubling analysis I've seen. I'm sure gamblers have gotten rich on betting against "Brady is in decline" takes, but this time I think it's real. A couple short clips:

On the season, Brady is averaging his fewest yards per pass attempt since 2002, when most of his teammates were in elementary school and passing across the league was far less efficient. Over the last 10 games, he has a 78.9 passer rating, which ranks 25th out of 27 qualified passers. His yards per attempt, in that span, are dead last among those 27 quarterbacks.

And this makes a lot of sense to me:

Brady, in large part, has stayed unimaginably healthy not due to a diet regimen of coconut chips, but because of how he styled his game. He throws short passes and gets rid of the ball quickly to stymie the incoming pass rush, which happens to compensate for the diminishments that come with age—decreased arm strength and durability.

But the same trends that prompt him to avoid hits are also integral to his problems: Brady has thrown away more passes than any quarterback in the NFL this season.

• Like (+1) 2

The league has a New England patriots problem.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We already know he has been declining since at least mid last year by pretty much every analytic/statistic there is.  Nobody is scared of him or their offense anymore.  He is a game manager now.  A very good one, but one nonetheless.  That being said, they are still a very good team but the D and ST are what is carrying them now, not the offense.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm just glad they decide to go to the end with Brady rather than going with Jimmy G.

It's so great that Brady's insecurity and ego forced their hand to get rid of a ready-made successor.  What a douche

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

From the Wall Street Journal (paywall):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-patriots-have-a-tom-brady-problem-11575905620?cx_testId=30&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

It is behind a paywall, but (for Pats fans) this is probably the most incisive and troubling analysis I've seen. I'm sure gamblers have gotten rich on betting against "Brady is in decline" takes, but this time I think it's real. A couple short clips:

And this makes a lot of sense to me:

Couldnt agree more and is the reason why we have the strong possibility of winning the last three.  I know the Steelers are hot now, but that first year QB has not faced our defense or anything like it.

we have to get open and he has to get rid of the ball fast.  I can’t wait to get an early Xmas present beating the Pats in NE, and the Jets (do I need to say more)

I am glad a downfall appears to be on the horizon, but I'm seeing terrible offensive personnel as the biggest issue. Gronk is gone, the oline is really banged up and a below avg group of wrs. Sure, Brady is 42 and on the decline, but if he still had a Gronk type TE, a healthy oline, and even our WRs, they beat the Chiefs and probably the Texans. Ravens still smoke em.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I am glad a downfall appears to be on the horizon, but I'm seeing terrible offensive personnel as the biggest issue. Gronk is gone, the oline is really banged up and a below avg group of wrs. Sure, Brady is 42 and on the decline, but if he still had a Gronk type TE, a healthy oline, and even our WRs, they beat the Chiefs and probably the Texans. Ravens still smoke em.

I agree. Brady isn't as great as he used to be, but the bigger issue is his lack of weapons this year.  But still. They are 10-3. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I agree. Brady isn't as great as he used to be, but the bigger issue is his lack of weapons this year.  But still. They are 10-3. 

I agree that the lack of weapons is an issue, but no qb I've seen this year has had fewer weapons to work with than Carson Wentz last night - in the second half, he was down to two roster-churn-level WRs plus 3 TEs. Then he went down to one WR when one of them got hurt. Yet he was still slinging and pushing the ball down the field with accuracy. The one caveat is that the Giants' defense is terrible.

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I will say this regarding them being 10-3 - they have beaten a lot of the same teams that the "can't beat anyone" bills have beaten.  Against mediocre to good teams they're something like 4-3. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I agree that the lack of weapons is an issue, but no qb I've seen this year has had fewer weapons to work with than Carson Wentz last night - in the second half, he was down to two roster-churn-level WRs plus 3 TEs. Then he went down to one WR when one of them got hurt. Yet he was still slinging and pushing the ball down the field with accuracy. The one caveat is that the Giants' defense is terrible.

Who dresses 3 WRs for a game...?  Is this the Airforce offense?

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

I will see it when we beat the Patriots a**es in FoxBoro

Can you imagine the absolute dejection which would be upon Brady's face at that point? It would be glorious. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Bingo.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

I will see it when we beat the Patriots a**es in FoxBoro

What do you mean?

The Pats didn’t beat the Bills because of Brady. In fact Beady almost cost them the game. 
The Pats are winning with block punts and opportunistic offense after a team turns the ball over.

The days of 80 yard back breaking drives by Brady are over. I wouldn’t even worry giving him the all back at the end of the game. He can’t do it anymore.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975