Le'Veon Bell ruled out with the flu - went bowling all night long

Reed83HOF

On 12/10/2019 at 4:56 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Since when is till 1:00 a.m. "all night long" that close to New York City.

It was indeed a stupid thing to do, but it was hardly all night long. The New York City media strikes again.

No excuse they should ridicule the ***** out of him. If you have the flu and cannot play you shouldn’t be out with your buddies until 1am the night before a game. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

No excuse they should ridicule the ***** out of him. If you have the flu and cannot play you shouldn’t be out with your buddies until 1am the night before a game. 

He was told he couldn't play or be with the team BY THE TEAM. He said he felt fine and wanted to play. It was the team's decision. Bowling is wholesome activity by all NFL standards.

1 minute ago, BisonMan said:

He was told he couldn't play or be with the team BY THE TEAM. He said he felt fine and wanted to play. It was the team's decision. Bowling is wholesome activity by all NFL standards.

Yea idk why they would tell him he cannot play then. That seems strange. 

Just now, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Yea idk why they would tell him he cannot play then. That seems strange. 

The team was worried about him infecting others on the team with the flu. It was likely on the recommendation by the team doctors. I personally tell my employees to stay home until well after they are over the flu to avoid making a small problem much bigger.

1 minute ago, BisonMan said:

The team was worried about him infecting others on the team with the flu. It was likely on the recommendation by the team doctors. I personally tell my employees to stay home until well after they are over the flu to avoid making a small problem much bigger.

I don’t pay employees 1 million dollars per 1 day of work. I think we can figure out how to keep him separated and still play the game. What a bunch of bs. 

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed - what a stupid story. He was told to keep away from the team. What the hell is wrong with bowling, about as family-friendly an activity as you could ever imagine?

At work we had a "team-building" event the past Friday, where we left work early, at a bowling alley, we bowled, ate food and drank beer - all paid for by the company. Everyone in the plant is now sick because some a-hole went bowling when they were sick and put their grubby, dirty, ball-itching, ass-scratching booger fingers in the ball holes that we also used and then promptly picked food up up with. 

• Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I don’t pay employees 1 million dollars per 1 day of work. I think we can figure out how to keep him separated and still play the game. What a bunch of bs. 

Yes, like keeping him from touching a ball that other players then touch and contract the flu. Oh wait, that's his job.

I have an idea, let's leave the medical decisions that affect 53 players that average well over $1M a year in salary to the medical professionals.

If you want to criticize the Jets for not re-evaluating his health or for being too cautious with the flu, be my guest. It sounds like Bell was doing what the team told him to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Yes, like keeping him from touching a ball that other players then touch and contract the flu. Oh wait, that's his job.

I have an idea, let's leave the medical decisions that affect 53 players that average well over $1M a year in salary to the medical professionals.

If you want to criticize the Jets for not re-evaluating his health or for being too cautious with the flu, be my guest. It sounds like Bell was doing what the team told him to do. 

Tell this is Michael Jordan, see flu game. 

3 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

By all means, let's equate Game 5 of the NBA Finals with a meaningless late season NFL game on a losing team. Also, let's equate a player responsible for an entire teams success (Jordan) with a player having a season with career low performance numbers and who has played very little role in the team's success (or failure) this season.

If he was a top-flight QB playing in the Super Bowl, I'm pretty sure the team doctors and team management would take that into account before TELLING a player to stay home. Again, Bell wanted to play. The team said no.

Man, if I pulled this stunt in the military... there would be hell to pay.

I'd surely face a Captains Mast (NJP). I'd probably be docked some pay, and quite possibly be restricted to the barracks. Who knows, maybe even busted a pay grade.

I'm taking it that Le'Veon is not a process candidate.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed - what a stupid story. He was told to keep away from the team. What the hell is wrong with bowling, about as family-friendly an activity as you could ever imagine?

He was actually ordered to stay away from the team. 

That’s all well and good but there is a reason for that, right?

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

The Jets told Bell to stay away from the team and told him he couldn't play. Full stop. 

I suggest everyone read this before mounting their moral high horses: https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/leveon-bell-explains-bowling-trip-before-week-13.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BisonMan said:

This is one of the biggest non-stories of the year.

First, it's been reported that Bell asked to play but the team told him he couldn't travel with the club or stay at the team hotel because he was recovering from the flu. It was a team precautionary decision not to have him play even though he wanted to.

Second, who gives a crap what an inactive player does on a Saturday night before the game he's not playing in? Is he supposed to sit at home when he feels fine? It's not like he was out drinking at a nightclub and shot somebody. Is there something less innocuous than bowling you can think of? "Le'Veon Bell spotted at a McDonald's at 1am the night before a Jets game." He's not Barrett Robbins.

Plus, the dude threw a game over 250! Mad props.

Good points 

4 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

meh- the jets were entering the week 4-8. They should probably keep his touches pretty minimal in December at that point. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The Jets told Bell to stay away from the team and told him he couldn't play. Full stop. 

I suggest everyone read this before mounting their moral high horses: https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/leveon-bell-explains-bowling-trip-before-week-13.

People already decided who he is and what they think about him. 

5 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

he wanted to play, the jets told him he could not and to stay away. You have your facts all messed up.