Monday Night Football 39 years ago - who remembers?

Stallions

There were three seconds left in the game, score tied at 13, and million of viewers watching "Monday Night Football" as New England Patriots kicker John Smith trotted onto the Orange Bowl field 39 years ago.

Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell called the famous "Monday Night Football" game the night John Lennon was shot and killed.

For those who remember the next few moments of that night, Dec. 8, 1980, Smith and the game itself have become historical and cultural markers overshadowed by but forever connected to Howard Cosell's announcement that John Lennon had been shot and killed.

"Remember, this is just a football game, no matter who wins or loses," Cosell told TV viewers. "

Players and fans inside the stadium were not aware of what Cosell had just announced on national television. There was no public-address announcement or murmur through the crowd, like there would have been today with people scanning social-networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.

Instead, fans inside the stadium watched as Smith's kick was blocked, disappearing into the aqua and orange of Miami's defensive line. The Dolphins scored on the first possession of overtime to win 16-13. 

Edited by Stallions
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Stallions said:

here were three seconds left in the game, score tied at 13, and million of viewers watching "Monday Night Football" as New England Patriots kicker John Smith trotted onto the Orange Bowl field 39 years ago.

Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell called the famous "Monday Night Football" game the night John Lennon was shot and killed.

For those who remember the next few moments of that night, Dec. 8, 1980, Smith and the game itself have become historical and cultural markers overshadowed by but forever connected to Howard Cosell's announcement that John Lennon had been shot and killed.

"Remember, this is just a football game, no matter who wins or loses," Cosell told TV viewers. "

Players and fans inside the stadium were not aware of what Cosell had just announced on national television. There was no public-address announcement or murmur through the crowd, like there would have been today with people scanning social-networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.

Instead, fans inside the stadium watched as Smith's kick was blocked, disappearing into the aqua and orange of Miami's defensive line. The Dolphins scored on the first possession of overtime to win 16-13. 

I was watching on  TV at The Stuffed Mushroom on Main St. with a couple of buddies.

Edited by Tcali
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Stallions said:

here were three seconds left in the game, score tied at 13, and million of viewers watching "Monday Night Football" as New England Patriots kicker John Smith trotted onto the Orange Bowl field 39 years ago.

Was that the guy that was in Paul McCartney‘s band before Wings?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

That was after Paul died and was replaced with a look-alike, right?

IF you are trying to be funny - massive fail. 

3 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

If I remember correctly, the result of that  game put the bills into the playoffs or at least made it very likely

John Lennon RIP

YES - Chuck Knox era.

Edited by Stallions

46 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

If I remember correctly, the result of that  game put the bills into the playoffs or at least made it very likely

John Lennon RIP

No.  Not exactly.  The Bills had just beat the Rams and danced on the field afterward in the fog (great memories... favorite Bills season ever), but they still had some good old fashioned Bills drama left.  The lost the following weekend in New England and Ferguson broke his foot.  Because it was 1980, he played through it and nobody really acknowledged that it was broken.  The final week it was all or nothing in San Fran in the Candlestick mud against a young Joe Montana that was still learning how to be Joe Montana.  

There is a famous Van Miller call floating around on You Tube of the final play that goes something like "And so the season all comes down to this one final play."  Montana heaved a Hail Mary into the end zone that was close, but batted away at the last moment by the Bills, finally giving them the AFC East crown.  Interesting footnote to that season: every AFC playoff team, division winners and wild cards included, finished 11-5.  If Montana completes that pass, Bills would have been out.  It seemed like an unnecessarily close scare to the 6-10 49ers.  The following year, Montana figured out who he was going to become and won his 1st Super Bowl. Super fun season in 1980.  

And it was also tragically memorable due to the event referenced by OP.  I remember sitting in silence with friends in a dorm room at St. Bona in disbelief as Howard broke the news.  I think I heard nothing but John Lennon music for the next month.  RIP John!  

Still missed.

Edited by cwater10

1 hour ago, Stallions said:

There were three seconds left in the game, score tied at 13, and million of viewers watching "Monday Night Football" as New England Patriots kicker John Smith trotted onto the Orange Bowl field 39 years ago.

I remember that night. I was 16 and watching the game. It became kind of eerie.

1 hour ago, cwater10 said:

No.  Not exactly.  The Bills had just beat the Rams and danced on the field afterward in the fog (great memories... favorite Bills season ever), but they still had some good old fashioned Bills drama left.  The lost the following weekend in New England and Ferguson broke his foot.  Because it was 1980, he played through it and nobody really acknowledged that it was broken.  The final week it was all or nothing in San Fran in the Candlestick mud against a young Joe Montana that was still learning how to be Joe Montana.  

There is a famous Van Miller call floating around on You Tube of the final play that goes something like "And so the season all comes down to this one final play."  Montana heaved a Hail Mary into the end zone that was close, but batted away at the last moment by the Bills, finally giving them the AFC East crown.  Interesting footnote to that season: every AFC playoff team, division winners and wild cards included, finished 11-5.  If Montana completes that pass, Bills would have been out.  It seemed like an unnecessarily close scare to the 6-10 49ers.  The following year, Montana figured out who he was going to become and won his 1st Super Bowl. Super fun season in 1980.  

And it was also tragically memorable due to the event referenced by OP.  I remember sitting in silence with friends in a dorm room at St. Bona in disbelief as Howard broke the news.  I think I heard nothing but John Lennon music for the next month.  RIP John!  

Still missed.

I loved that Chuck Knox era....as usual we get a great coach in and Ralph...welll...is Ralph.Chuck wanted to stay but couldnt see 'eye to eye' with mr wilson.

Edited by Tcali
  • Like (+1) 1