TE Position

ngbills

Why is Kroft so hated? How many balls did he drop? How many were thrown to him? 
Are we saying the one year he actually played and was involved  in Cincinnati Dalton could find him open but in buffalo he’s covered every route? Could it not be Allen doesn’t look to throw his way? Like ever? Or that Daboll doesn’t want him open so it frees someone else up one on one? Can’t be any form of a weapon in the receiving game if there’s no targets.

Is his blocking bad? The blocking part is serious on my end cause I honestly don’t pay attention to tight end blocks ever in a game. 

Just don’t get why there’s such a need to upgrade a position we’re not heavily using in the pass game. Knox will progress, we haven’t seen Sweeney in real games, how many balls are we throwing to tight ends next year we ain’t Baltimore here. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

Knox needs time to develop. He was barely thrown to in college because they were loaded at receiver and used him mostly as a blocker. He was a QB in high school and had never played the position until he got to a school that doesn’t utilize the position.

I think he’ll be better next year, hopefully significantly. He’s probably going to get 400yds receiving as a rookie. Not too terrible.

Sweeney has the upside of a solid #2 tight end. Good fundamentals, solid blocker.

I feel bad for Kroft but I think he’ll end up getting cut next season. Too much money for too little production. 

Lee Smith is hot garbage. Croom May come back and try to do something but I have little faith in that.

i could see them bringing in another veteran to compete with Smith and Sweeney. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Is catching ability something that typically improves significantly with time? 

It seems like it could, but I'm struggling to think of an example of someone with consistently bad hands who turned it around.

Kinda tricky. Not sure how many examples there are of players in college who don’t catch any passes but have insane talent and start catching in the NFL. 

Knox is gonna be fine. More practice reps with Allen, hopefully in the offseason too and some time with the machines chucking him fastballs mid route and he’ll be ok. 
Guy has a lot to learn this season. Monster playbook plus audibles for pass routes and blocks, and learning to run routes. They didn’t use him in college his route tree was probably like 2 routes. “Hey kid run an out to the sideline but just try and get ready to block cause we’re not throwing it your way” 

We should be pretty thankful with Kroft hurt the first part of the season we got any production from him at all and he didn’t have huge costly turnovers or penalties. 
So much focus on what he does wrong everyone forgets how far he’s come in less than one full season. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

I still have hopes Croom will return and win a job next year....he is the receiving TE we don't have this year.

This may be unpopular, but I like what he presents as a matchup problem. A long shot for sure, but maybe he’s learning and growing during this time off. 

Knox has too many drops, but I’d like to think he can shake that. I love his upside and attitude! 

Give Knox time to develop.  He has super potential, time will tell if he reaches it.   Kroft is definitely out of here next year.  Hooper or Hunter Henry would be great additions to add with Knox.  I would spend the $ on them, then get a WR high in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why is Kroft so hated? How many balls did he drop? How many were thrown to him? 
Are we saying the one year he actually played and was involved  in Cincinnati Dalton could find him open but in buffalo he’s covered every route? Could it not be Allen doesn’t look to throw his way? Like ever? Can’t be any form of a weapon in the receiving game if there’s no targets.

Is his blocking bad? The blocking part is serious on my end cause I honestly don’t pay attention to tight end blocks ever in a game. 

Just don’t get why there’s such a need to upgrade a position we’re not heavily using in the pass game. Knox will progress, we haven’t seen Sweeney in real games, how many balls are we throwing to tight ends next year we ain’t Baltimore here. 

His biggest problem is his $6mm a year cap hit. Not a big deal this year, but will be in the next 2 years. 

In 2019 he has 53 yards in total receptions and has a buy-out option next year that if used will only cost us $1.6mm in cap space. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

The drops have reached a point of concern but if you look at how little he saw the ball in college it should not surprise.  

Work, work, and more work is what Knox needs.  He has size and he had some speed too.  He blocks well and he gets open.  Yesterday he dropped a ball and then he made a brilliant one handed catch.  He can be a beast running in the open field and he has blown up a few DBs this year.  

I like him and I say keep on developing him.  

I’m not impressed with Kroft or Smith.  Sweeney has done ok in his limited reps.  

I would not hesitate to take a TE if the right one is there.  

Let's see what Knox can do next year.  I don't know why his catches are always downfield rather than quick shots to get pressure off Allen?

8 minutes ago, Nester said:

His biggest problem is his $6mm a year cap hit. Not a big deal this year, but will be in the next 2 years. 

In 2019 he has 53 yards in total receptions and has a buy-out option next year that if used will only cost us $1.6mm in cap space. 

The Bills have never used a TE well.  It's about time they do.

3 minutes ago, Nester said:

Buffalo is in fine shape for the cap until they need to hand out quarterback money. It’s not our cash we save nothing advocating for cuts. Why create a possible hole over money? If he’s that bad or he’s not what they expected I expect they will cut him but for us as fans to clamor to get rid of a guy over money we aren’t paying doesn’t make sense to me. We had the same issue with shady. Washed up or not people wanted him gone cause of his salary. And now he’s gone. Washed up or not they definitely could of used him this season. 
Same risk next year. 
Sure let’s sign Hooper. Nothing wrong with that. Let’s say he blows a knee in preseason then we’re rolling with Knox and Sweeney and some guy let go at final cut downs. Just risky over money they don’t really need. If we’re cap strapped and need money for Hooper yeah cut the guy. I mean shoot we have what 25 million in star and Murphy and kroft? 

1 hour ago, BillsCuse said:

Give Knox time to develop.  He has super potential, time will tell if he reaches it.   Kroft is definitely out of here next year.  Hooper or Hunter Henry would be great additions to add with Knox.  I would spend the $ on them, then get a WR high in the draft.  

I'd go all in for Hooper. Henry has had some injury issues so for less money I'd be down.

2 hours ago, Process said:

Kroft is useless and should be cut this off-season. That signing was a head scratcher from the beginning. 

Knoxs drops are a huge concern. Even if he ends up getting over it and becoming a good player for us, plenty of teams use two TEs.

Bills should go all out for Hooper this off-season.

Sign Hooper, sign a young RB, draft a WR in the first round. Offense set.

Agree with everything except WR in the first round.  My thought is DE or LB in round 1.  My rational is it's easier to find high level FA WR than it is pass rushers or DE.  Sign a good WR and dtil ldraft one in the 2nd  or 3rd, but use the 1st round on pass rush.

Knox can catch. For all the drops he's made a few really good catches. The 1 handed yesterday was awesome. He just needs to concentrate on the easy ones and look the ball all the way in rather than looking to run.

On the Allen sack fumble he should have never been left 1 on 1 with their best pass rusher. No TE should. 

Edited by Maybe Someday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Knox was drafted to be the future, where Kroft was signed to be the current starter. Kroft missed a ton of time and has basically been invisible, pressing Knox into service. He might develop, but he’s a couple years away. A playmaking vet TE should be on the FA shopping list, as well as a WR. The defense is championship caliber now, so they need plug and play weapons for the offense. There isn’t time for a drafted WR to develop. They should still draft offense to keep the cupboard stocked , but FA dollars need to be allocated to vets while Allen is still cheap. 

3 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Is catching ability something that typically improves significantly with time? 

It seems like it could, but I'm struggling to think of an example of someone with consistently bad hands who turned it around.

Knox can make the difficult catches. His issue seems to be focus related. That can be improved with reps, practice, and experience... Same with the blocking. 

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Be fun to see if Knox gets more or less rope than Zay did around here for his horrific hands. Not to mention Knox’s suspect blocking. Guessing people will be a lot more tolerant of Knox. 

Well, Knox is a pretty good run blocker not a suspect one. He was also the 96th player selected in 2019 and didn’t catch many passes in college as he wasn’t featured that way. Zay Jones caught a ton of passes in college and was the 44th player selected in the 2017 draft. 52 slots lower of draft position will buy you a little bit of “ rope” with the fans. Essentially , Jones had already proven he had good hands in college but forgot how to catch when he got to Buffalo. He was pretty much a head case. 

Edited by Boatdrinks