Bengals accuse Pats employee of videotaping their play calls

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I might not have the same thinking as others. But if I am a HOF voter I do hold these scandals against Brady and BB when it comes time to vote. 

IMO their legacy is tainted enough that they don’t get in first Ballot like many think. They get in but with these scandals I keep them off the first Ballot and make them wait. The problem is the voters are the same ones that routinely make excuses for them. 

No different, really, than baseball keeping the steroid cheats out of the baseball HoF; just a different form of cheating.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

My problem is this: what possible reason could the film crew have to shoot the Bengals' sideline for 8 full minutes of game time?

Well, that's one of my problems. There's also the matter of why only the visiting team was informed, and how it's possible that an organization as detailed and as publicly notorious for unsavory action as NE****** could not make absolutely, 100% certain that anyone associated with them follows procedure to a tee.

Then there's the whole massive coincidence that this occurs the very week prior to them playing the team whose sideline they filmed.

Not to mention that the spygate article specifically mentions having built-in excuses in place such as "shooting a team documentary" and wearing non-team apparel. Oh, and the crew was shooting from a location in the box where they didn't belong.

For good measure, they also asked if they could just delete the footage and forget about it.

It absolutely stinks.

I agree with much of it but will offer a few points for the sake of someone throwing out counter points here instead of just piling on. 

1) the guys an advance scout, right? His job is to be at their next opponent so any coverage of him would by definition come at a suspicious time 

2) we project a lot of BBs personality across the organization here. I agree that he’s incredibly detail oriented. I’m not sure he’s involved in mid-season web content on that level. Unless there’s a nefarious use behind the scenes I can’t see him touching it. 

3) if you were filming someone and someone called you on getting a shot you couldn’t have, I’d assume you’d offer to delete it. 

ultimately, if he has the full 8 mins of the sideline I think they get hammered. If they don’t, it’ll be a relative non issue. 

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

My problem is this: what possible reason could the film crew have to shoot the Bengals' sideline for 8 full minutes of game time?

Well, that's one of my problems. There's also the matter of why only the visiting team was informed, and how it's possible that an organization as detailed and as publicly notorious for unsavory action as NE****** could not make absolutely, 100% certain that anyone associated with them follows procedure to a tee.

Then there's the whole massive coincidence that this occurs the very week prior to them playing the team whose sideline they filmed.

Not to mention that the spygate article specifically mentions having built-in excuses in place such as "shooting a team documentary" and wearing non-team apparel. Oh, and the crew was shooting from a location in the box where they didn't belong.

For good measure, they also asked if they could just delete the footage and forget about it.

It absolutely stinks.

I will not absolve the Pats of Cheating or whatever they did in this issue, but there are a few massive issues with your take.

First - the Browns were the home team and they were informed of the crew being on site and doing the filming.  The NFL and the Bengals should have been informed, but if the true intent was to get info about how advanced scouting works - they really only needed to get permission of the home team to have a camera in the booth.

Second - what does an advance scout do - he records plays, signals, situations, anything that is going on that can prepare the team for the upcoming game.  Again not to believe the Pats, but if you are doing a discussion on all of that and you want to run video under the discussion- it would make perfect sense to film what he is looking at.  He is watching the Bengals sideline - that is what I would want running underneath so as he talks about his job - you can show what he is doing.

The conspiracy that it just happens to be their upcoming opponent in the Bengals makes sense because that is where the advanced scout would be.  The advanced scout is not being sent to a team they are not playing - he is going to their next opponent to begin gather advanced intel - so that makes complete sense that it would occur at that game.

Look - none of that is to say that this is not 100% a bull pucky lie to film upcoming opponents- I would not put that past the Pats, but it could also be 100% a true innocent mistake.  The issue is that NE does not - nor should they - get any benefit of the doubt because they have already done this and because this follows the exact pattern given in the past about how to handle this situation.

The problem is I really do not know which it is and I am not sure how you could ever tell.  There is enough plausible deniability that this could go 100% either way.  The admission by the Pats was an acknowledgement that the film crew was wrong, but not that the football side did anything wrong.  The fact that this film crew - has been given permission previously to film the Pats sideline as they previewed other jobs blurs the line even more as they did not have an issue doing that - why is this different.

I think in the end - the NFL should definitely punish the team - fairly heftily- but unless there is something connecting it to the football side - I do not punish Belichick.  A fine and loss of another pick - highest 1st rounder - as a start because ultimately they are responsible for the functionality of their crew, but if you find anything that shows knowledge of this and understanding from the football side - they should burn it down. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will not absolve the Pats of Cheating or whatever they did in this issue, but there are a few massive issues with your take.

First - the Browns were the home team and they were informed of the crew being on site and doing the filming.  The NFL and the Bengals should have been informed, but if the true intent was to get info about how advanced scouting works - they really only needed to get permission of the home team to have a camera in the booth.

Second - what does an advance scout do - he records plays, signals, situations, anything that is going on that can prepare the team for the upcoming game.  Again not to believe the Pats, but if you are doing a discussion on all of that and you want to run video under the discussion- it would make perfect sense to film what he is looking at.  He is watching the Bengals sideline - that is what I would want running underneath so as he talks about his job - you can show what he is doing.

The conspiracy that it just happens to be their upcoming opponent in the Bengals makes sense because that is where the advanced scout would be.  The advanced scout is not being sent to a team they are not playing - he is going to their next opponent to begin gather advanced intel - so that makes complete sense that it would occur at that game.

Look - none of that is to say that this is not 100% a bull pucky lie to film upcoming opponents- I would not put that past the Pats, but it could also be 100% a true innocent mistake.  The issue is that NE does not - nor should they - get any benefit of the doubt because they have already done this and because this follows the exact pattern given in the past about how to handle this situation.

The problem is I really do not know which it is and I am not sure how you could ever tell.  There is enough plausible deniability that this could go 100% either way.  The admission by the Pats was an acknowledgement that the film crew was wrong, but not that the football side did anything wrong.  The fact that this film crew - has been given permission previously to film the Pats sideline as they previewed other jobs blurs the line even more as they did not have an issue doing that - why is this different.

I think in the end - the NFL should definitely punish the team - fairly heftily- but unless there is something connecting it to the football side - I do not punish Belichick.  A fine and loss of another pick - highest 1st rounder - as a start because ultimately they are responsible for the functionality of their crew, but if you find anything that shows knowledge of this and understanding from the football side - they should burn it down. 

This should be the only post in this thread. The rest is wild speculation about coverups asserted as fact and a post-liking circle-jerk in response

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Where was Belichick when Thurman lost his helmet in Minnesota??? 

IMO the ONLY thing that will stop them is to take away a Trophy.  (or 2 or ....) 

Ban the Pats**** from the 2020 Draft.

Confiscate their 2020 picks and raffle them off to the 2019 New England opponents.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I agree with much of it but will offer a few points for the sake of someone throwing out counter points here instead of just piling on. 

1) the guys an advance scout, right? His job is to be at their next opponent so any coverage of him would by definition come at a suspicious time 

2) we project a lot of BBs personality across the organization here. I agree that he’s incredibly detail oriented. I’m not sure he’s involved in mid-season web content on that level. Unless there’s a nefarious use behind the scenes I can’t see him touching it. 

3) if you were filming someone and someone called you on getting a shot you couldn’t have, I’d assume you’d offer to delete it. 

ultimately, if he has the full 8 mins of the sideline I think they get hammered. If they don’t, it’ll be a relative non issue. 

Why does he have ANY footage of the Bengals sideline?  The interview of the advanced scout was reportedly over before kickoff.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

There is absolutely no possibility that an organization that was fined half a million dollars and docked a 1st round pick for shooting video of a team's coaching staff would not make it thoroughly clear that videotaping the other team's coaching staff sending in offensive signals for the entire first quarter is not okay.

Suppose that what you're saying is true. They want to run video under what the scout is saying. Don't you suppose that, at some point, the discussion of "are you looking at the other coaches during the game to pick up on signals?" had to take place? Wouldn't someone, anyone, know enough to say "yeah, but don't film that; we got in enormous amounts of trouble for that once already"?

Nobody in the entire organization knew that the team could get in trouble for this? Forgive me, but that's simply impossible to believe. And even if I did believe it, then the utter stupidity of said organization to be so blind to the potential for a screw up should net them a punishment on its face.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It absolutely stinks.

It's obvious to the objective observer that they took their built-in excuses a step further to cover their ass, they needed a real back story. So you need to also have a real documentary, instead of fake press credentials.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Except the Advance scout asked to delete the footage, why would he do that if it was an "innocent mistake"? 

55 minutes ago, arcane said:

This should be the only post in this thread. The rest is wild speculation about coverups asserted as fact and a post-liking circle-jerk in response

Except he didn't mention that the scout asked to delete the footage.....

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

There is absolutely no possibility that an organization that was fined half a million dollars and docked a 1st round pick for shooting video of a team's coaching staff would not make it thoroughly clear that videotaping the other team's coaching staff sending in offensive signals for the entire first quarter is not okay.

Suppose that what you're saying is true. They want to run video under what the scout is saying. Don't you suppose that, at some point, the discussion of "are you looking at the other coaches during the game to pick up on signals?" had to take place? Wouldn't someone, anyone, know enough to say "yeah, but don't film that; we got in enormous amounts of trouble for that once already"?

Nobody in the entire organization knew that the team could get in trouble for this? Forgive me, but that's simply impossible to believe. And even if I did believe it, then the utter stupidity of said organization to be so blind to the potential for a screw up should net them a punishment on its face.

I would agree 100% if it was Pats video crews doing the taping, but like many of these produced documentaries- it is typically outsourced to independent film crews.  

I have no idea what they have been told or not, but it was already stated on previous videos - this crew was allowed to tape activities on the Pats sideline of coaches and players for other segments of the documentary.  My guess would be a true independent crew would not see the difference in taping the Pats sideline for earlier pieces and taping the Bengals sideline to roll under the advanced scout job function.

Look - I totally agree that it looks really bad looking through the lens of the Pats history, but I can totally buy where this type of thing could happen by a crew that doing what they consider to be their job in filming this segment.

Things like this happen all the time where something is done and posted or filmed and you do not realize the impact because you are looking at it from one perspective and not another.  The Sam Darnold seeing ghosts comment - never should have aired live that night - it was a bad look by a production team that makes for good TV, but is not something they would allow to go out.  

I totally agree that that the screw up in an of itself deserves punishment and I stated as much.  What I can not say is whether I believe his was done deliberately and the entire organization deserves punishment - or if this was a true accidental move - where they deserve punishment, but not at an individual coaching/owner level.

I could easily see something like this happening with the Bills production crew - doing video of draft work or front office management and caching something on tape that is inappropriate or against the rules and it being a rue accident.  I also understand the Pats have already used up their credit with the previous cheating and you are free o assume the worst - I have no issue with that - that is totally your prerogative and right - I just am waiting to find out if this is the only situation or not because there is no reason to be filming the Bengals - that would be a stupid team to get caught against.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would agree 100% if it was Pats video crews doing the taping, but like many of these produced documentaries- it is typically outsourced to independent film crews.  

I have no idea what they have been told or not, but it was already stated on previous videos - this crew was allowed to tape activities on the Pats sideline of coaches and players for other segments of the documentary.  My guess would be a true independent crew would not see the difference in taping the Pats sideline for earlier pieces and taping the Bengals sideline to roll under the advanced scout job function.

Look - I totally agree that it looks really bad looking through the lens of the Pats history, but I can totally buy where this type of thing could happen by a crew that doing what they consider to be their job in filming this segment.

Things like this happen all the time where something is done and posted or filmed and you do not realize the impact because you are looking at it from one perspective and not another.  The Sam Darnold seeing ghosts comment - never should have aired live that night - it was a bad look by a production team that makes for good TV, but is not something they would allow to go out.  

I totally agree that that the screw up in an of itself deserves punishment and I stated as much.  What I can not say is whether I believe his was done deliberately and the entire organization deserves punishment - or if this was a true accidental move - where they deserve punishment, but not at an individual coaching/owner level.

I could easily see something like this happening with the Bills production crew - doing video of draft work or front office management and caching something on tape that is inappropriate or against the rules and it being a rue accident.  I also understand the Pats have already used up their credit with the previous cheating and you are free o assume the worst - I have no issue with that - that is totally your prerogative and right - I just am waiting to find out if this is the only situation or not because there is no reason to be filming the Bengals - that would be a stupid team to get caught against.

Do you consider Kraft Sports Productions to be an independent 3rd party production company?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Again..... why would they ask to delete the film then?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

It's obvious to the objective observer that they took their built-in excuses a step further to cover their ass, they needed a real back story. So you need to also have a real documentary, instead of fake press credentials.

Except the Advance scout asked to delete the footage, why would he do that if it was an "innocent mistake"? 

The film crew asked to delete the footage not the scout.  

If you were told that you took photos of something inappropriate- what would you suggest?  My party was in Vegas years ago and they were taking pictures of some lovely ladies on the strip being very inappropriate and their “manager” stopped them and basically said you can’t take photos and as being aggressive.  The first though was of crap - can I get rid of the photos and not get in an further trouble here.

It is a perfectly valid response in both an innocent situation and if they were doing something completely illegal.  The response is the same - I still goes to the reason why it was done and if it was a one time or many time thing.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

If you were told that you took photos of something inappropriate- what would you suggest?  My party was in Vegas years ago and they were taking pictures of some lovely ladies on the strip being very inappropriate and their “manager” stopped them and basically said you can’t take photos and as being aggressive.  The first though was of crap - can I get rid of the photos and not get in an further trouble here.

It is a perfectly valid response in both an innocent situation and if they were doing something completely illegal.  The response is the same - I still goes to the reason why it was done and if it was a one time or many time thing.

So you agree they knew it was against the rules even though they were a "third party production crew?" 

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Do you consider Kraft Sports Productions to be an independent 3rd party production company?

Not anymore independent than the crew from Pegula sports and entertainment, but they sometimes hire external 3 rd party camera crews to do some footage.

Everyone is doing these cool behind the scenes documentaries now for added content and many of them hire people that are not part of the company.  It could lead to nefarious activities or be totally innocent.  

The Pats do not deserve any benefit of the doubt, but it also does not mean that Belicheck should be fined and suspended for this.  As I stated - I think the team deserves heavy punishment- big fine and loss of highest 1st round pick - no matter what.  I also think if they can link it back to the football side- you burn it down - forfeits, suspensions, etc.  

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The interview with the advanced scout was done before kickoff.  Why was the "independent crew" employed by Robert Kraft still filming from the booth after the interview was concluded and why was the subject of this filming focused on the Bengals sideline?  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not anymore independent than the crew from Pegula sports and entertainment, but they sometimes hire external 3 rd party camera crews to do some footage.

Everyone is doing these cool behind the scenes documentaries now for added content and many of them hire people that are not part of the company.  It could lead to nefarious activities or be totally innocent.  

The Pats do not deserve any benefit of the doubt, but it also does not mean that Belicheck should be fined and suspended for this.  As I stated - I think the team deserves heavy punishment- big fine and loss of highest 1st round pick - no matter what.  I also think if they can link it back to the football side- you burn it down - forfeits, suspensions, etc.  

That's already happened.  Like I posted up thread they deserve to lose ALL their remaining 2020 picks and those picks should be

rewarded in a lottery for the teams they cheated against this past year.