Bengals accuse Pats employee of videotaping their play calls

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Augie said:

They are in a tough spot. Any public lynching is a blemish on the entire league and the last 20 years. I think he has to go away somewhat quietly for the sake of the league. The 31 other teams will get the point. 

As for the Peter King stance, I think he said it has to be adjudicated quick. He used the quote “all’s well that ends”, not necessarily ends well, but it must end. Do NOT let it linger. That doesn’t necessarily mean sweeping it under the rug. Now, might that happen? Of course. But in my mind Belichick needs to go away. 

I had not thought about the fact that the NFL has a 20 year legacy here to worry about. I am not pretty certain we will see a " protect the shield" kinda situation

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

That's for sure. This is the thing that should set the precedent, though. Kraft isn't going to magically change his ways. Now is the time.

cripes, you can do ANYTHING as a pro sports owner, except make racist comments

1 hour ago, Augie said:

They are in a tough spot. Any public lynching is a blemish on the entire league and the last 20 years. I think he has to go away somewhat quietly for the sake of the league. The 31 other teams will get the point. 

As for the Peter King stance, I think he said it has to be adjudicated quick. He used the quote “all’s well that ends”, not necessarily ends well, but it must end. Do NOT let it linger. That doesn’t necessarily mean sweeping it under the rug. Now, might that happen? Of course. But in my mind Belichick needs to go away. 

This

8 hours ago, CLTbills said:

What Pats employee was being filmed?

They filmed the scout. However, it's been stated that the interview and filming of the scout was already finished before the start of the game. So why were they still taping once the game started? And of all things, the field?

Edited by Herc11

Not that I'm being cross examined, or anyone even knows who I am as a poster, but reading through my post history would be interesting. You would see a rabidly anti-Patriots poster from my sign up date until about 2017ish. Then you would see someone who grew to appreciate Brady's and Belichick's excellence, and came to assume the cheating accusations were overblown and they should be hailed for what they are--the GOATS.

Well, here we go again. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I think in any one case you could say "well, maybe they didn't film the Ram's practice", or "maybe the Colts played with 2 deflated balls too", or "the guy could have filmed it from the stands, why go into the press box" or any other number of excuses that make sense when considered individually, absent everything else that goes into this. From their ridiculous record vs. the spread to the anecdotes of former and current players and coaches... again, where there's smoke, there's usually fire.  Maybe your wife really did take a picture with her shirt off to compare to another one taken a year earlier and send it to an online oncologists phone; and maybe she really did lose wifi in her office and need to get a hotel room for an hour to send a report to Toronto; and maybe that really is her friend's brother who answered your call to her last Friday when she was out with the girls--the guy who told you to stop calling because "she's not a married woman tonight!"

But I think the problem the NFL has is that overwhelmingly, fans on every comment section are calling for harsh penalties. There's some Patriots homers saying that all those other accusations have been "disproven", but they are roundly shouted down. And I'm starting to think the NFL is getting backed into a corner. They floated a "sanctions are likely to be light" demo tweet earlier and it's getting ripped apart. People want blood. Ironically, I think the Patriots are worse off then they were the previous 2 times they got caught--not because they're repeat repeat offenders, but because they're declining quickly and dramatically. Before, it was believable that it was just "haters" mad at their success--the Rams salty for losing a Super Bowl, the Colts salty for being perpetual playoff whipping boys, the Jets stirring the pot with Rex, etc. But now? Now it's much more (pick one/all: believable, plausible, likely, pathetic, disheartening, etc) that the Patriots cheated to gain an advantage over the hapless Bengals because they CAN'T win on their own merit, and coincidentally, they're playing the bengals this week.

Also, here's another aside: as to why the Patriots wouldn't just sit someone in the stands, or wait for the all 22. The act they got caught doing it against the team they're facing this week shows the time sensitive nature of the material.. It would have to be sent directly to the advance scouts who could begin analyzing the data and making a game plan for the next week. A fan in the stands would either have to film for 5-7 minutes of action between commerical breaks, then send that over a wireless network jammed with 80,000 people uploading selfies of their gameday experience to facebook. And while it's sending, ready the next video to send, and the next, and on and on. No doubt they've tried, but I see barriers to entry here, to say nothing of the suspicion from drunk fans around you who would notice you sending videos after every few plays, not of the action, but of the sideline: unmoving shots. OR, get press credentialed, get the wifi password, get a secure connection with employees at Patriot Place, do some witty banter during commercial breaks, and film the sideline unhindered for the rest of the game, with a hidef camera. That info is accessed real time, a gameplan is made, and before Brady is showered and ready for his presser, the defensive scheme is updated and the plays the offense will run is overhauled. Why wait a few days (or even hours) for the all 22? 

Ok, so sorry for the long digression, but the ultimate point is this: I am coming around to the idea that the Patriots are going to get hit with some force this time. Suspension for Belichick for the remainder of the season seems about right, ala Garret--the last outrage that NFL nation felt needed to be dealt with harshly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1