Bengals accuse Pats employee of videotaping their play calls

YoloinOhio

Right now we're in Stage 1 of the latest Patriots****** cheating scandal: "we didn't do it"

Stay tuned for Stage 2: "if we did it (but we didn't), then it didn't give us any competitive advantage"

Followed eventually by Stage 3: "if we did it (but we didn't), and it gave us a competitive advantage (but it didn't), then everyone else is doing it too"

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Right now we're in Stage 1 of the latest Patriots****** cheating scandal: "we didn't do it"

Stay tuned for Stage 2: "if we did it (but we didn't), then it didn't give us any competitive advantage"

Followed eventually by Stage 3: "if we did it (but we didn't), and it gave us a competitive advantage (but it didn't), then everyone else is doing it too"

wow sounds like the defense in a certain high profile activity going on

• Like (+1) 1

You have on one hand, owners who are probably sick and tired of this, the patriots and their "winning streaks".  The cheating brings into question things like Atlanta winning a Superbowl, Seattle dynasty, KC going to a Superbowl last year, the Rams winning, the whole AFC getting a back seat... and the Bills should be wondering if they should have the Division and home playoff game(s) (and revenue).

Then you have the 'protect the shield' culture and the reflex to minimize any negative publicity.  

Lastly, this is (allegedly) a repeat and long term offense, going back 2 decades, and they were already let off the hook for it so to speak (probably with a verbal warning to knock it off). You also have Goodell who may have a little grudge against Kraft for making him into a villain and not cooperating in the deflated footballs violations (thus making it a much larger deal than anyone wanted).

28 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-cameraman-reportedly-asked-to-just-delete-the-footage-bill-belichick-denies-any-involvement-235522269.html

This sounds familiar

In 2015, ESPN did an in-depth report on past Patriots scandals, including the infamous 2007 “Spygate” incident that saw the Patriots punished for videotaping signals of New York Jets coaches.

That report described a protocol for Patriots advance scouts and videographers to have ready-made excuses if they were caught by NFL security suspiciously filming footage.

From that ESPN report:

“During games, [Patriots video assistant Matt] Walsh later told investigators, the Patriots' videographers were told to look like media members, to tape over their team logos or turn their sweatshirt inside out, to wear credentials that said Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. The videographers also were provided with excuses for what to tell NFL security if asked what they were doing: Tell them you're filming the quarterbacks. Or the kickers. Or footage for a team show.”

mermer posted this in the other thread but it’s a perfect add on 

But the Patriots kept doing it. In November 2006, Green Bay Packers security officials caught Matt Estrella shooting unauthorized footage at Lambeau Field. When asked what he was doing, according to notes from the Senate investigation of Spygate that had not previously been disclosed, Estrella said he was with Kraft Productions and was taping panoramic shots of the stadium. He was removed by Packers security. 

26 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Fines don't work with the Patriots, if the league would like to save credibility, has to be a penalty that hurts their record.

My guess is the Patriots MIGHT lose their #1 pick.

they don’t care about picks 

honestly there seasons should be forfeited 

they become 0-16 and the teams they played keep the W or the L from the result 

Only way it would hurt them 

26 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Fines don't work with the Patriots, if the league would like to save credibility, has to be a penalty that hurts their record.

My guess is the Patriots MIGHT lose their #1 pick.

Picks loss won't hurt them much either as they often trade down to acquire more picks or get picks in future drafts which they in turn trade again etc. If you're going to send a message it's to  cut out the brain of the operation. I say ban Ernie Adams from all team activities.

56 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

I’ve said before and I’ll say again: After the right people die, the world will learn so much more about the depth and breadth of New Englands’s cheating. 

I've thought this myself.  Hope it comes out sooner than that.  The Patriots probably make every player/employee sign a ridiculous NDA along with their contract.

Really, the players wouldn't even need to know cheating was happening.  Even Brady.  To him, it may seem like the coaches are geniuses because of how quickly they can diagnose defenses and get him in the right play.  I think it was Bruschi who said they would receive the other teams audibles prior to the game.  The players don't know where they come from or the details of how they are obtained, they just do what they're told.

To me, this is all on Belichick, Kraft, and probably some other coaches like Adams and McDaniels.  If all these accusations can be proven true they should be banned from the NFL and Kraft should either have to sell the team or become minority owner or something.  

• Like (+1) 1

None of the options presented in the poll are severe enough imo.

With the history of the teams owner allowing employee rules violations the organization should have to forfeit this entire season, and no playoffs for two additional seasons. After the above, the team must be sold and moved to London.

Edited by Don Otreply

Forfeiture of the remaining games this season.   Then similar to college, no postseason play for a couple years.  

They are a long time, repeatedly cheating franchise.   Something serious needs to be done.   Any one saying it's not that big a deal has to explain why they keep doing it time after time, knowing they shouldn't.  

9 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

they don’t care about picks 

honestly there seasons should be forfeited 

they become 0-16 and the teams they played keep the W or the L from the result 

Only way it would hurt them 

darn, then we’d have the burden of assuming the AFC East title.   I’m not sure I could handle that!

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If only this information were available in another thread.  It's inconceivable that this same information is found in another thread, I mean, it's hardly a story after all.  Adding a poll was a nice touch to attempt differentiation. 

Including a Poll is an intentional attempt to avoid a “merge”. It’s akin to saying “I’m filming for a documentary for a movie “Do Your Job”. Clearly a mirror thread after @YoloinOhio has a perfectly good thread which includes all this same information. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Of course Belichick is still cheating.

Though I wouldn't put it past him that he did this to light a fire under the team. Spygate motivated the team to an undefeated season. He's willing to pay any fine for another Lombardi.

Having said that. He deserves the Pete Rose treatment. Enough is enough.  

59 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Always looking for that edge.  Almost like they want to be caught.

The hammer needs to come down!  It's a joke at this point.

Oh - and not a chance Goodell let's that tape see the light of day.

And now that they are in decline, they need that extra edge. Glad they got caught this week instead of next. They are repeat offenders and Goodell should drop the hammer on them for once, but he won't.

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

They’re worried about the Bengals? The BENGALS?

That's how far they have fallen.

• Like (+1) 1