Offense taking too long to hit stride each game?

A lot of games this season it seems like the offense starts slow, then gets better until they click.  Yesterday reminded me a lot of the New England game.  I felt like if we had one more quarter, we could have won, given how they were playing at the end.  Sadly, we did not have another quarter.  We hit the field in shambles, and by the time we hit stride it was too late.  And it's killing us.  It's keeping us from rolling low-quality opponents early, and it's costing us dearly against the heavyweights.

So, my question is, why do you think that is?  Why is the Bills' offense stale at the start, and why does it take as long as it does each game for them to hit stride?  Right now they're like a flourescent bulb, flickering intermittently until they finally hum to life some time later.  Is it coaching?  Weekly game plans?  Personnel?

Edited by The Red King
More descriptive title

9 minutes ago, The Red King said:

...I don't mean overall.  I mean each game.  A lot of games this season it seems like the offense starts slow, then gets better until they click.  Yesterday reminded me a lot of the New England game.  I felt like if we had one more quarter, we could have won, given how they were playing at the end.  Sadly, we did not have another quarter.  We hit the field in shambles, and by the time we hit stride it was too late.  And it's killing us.  It's keeping us from rolling low-quality opponents early, and it's costing us dearly against the heavyweights.

So, my question is, why do you think that is?  Why is the Bills' offense stale at the start, and why does it take as long as it does each game for them to hit stride?  Right now they're like a flourescent bulb, flickering intermittently until they finally hum to life some time later.  Is it coaching?  Weekly game plans?  Personnel?

I think Allen's just too pumped up at the start of the games (also mentioned on the broadcast yesterday). To combat that, I would think we should come out more heavily trying to establish the run (maybe with short screen passes/quick slants thrown in there) - and allow Josh to calm down the first few drives. I agree, he looks better as the game goes on, especially in 2nd half.

Yes, some OCs are great at scripting the first couple of drives and Daboll is not one of them. He’s pretty mediocre overall, coming up with a gem every now and then like Vs MIN or vs DAL ( both in domes, oddly enough). Maybe that means we want to play HOU in the playoffs. 

I kinda have a half-brain theory on the slow starts and I'm probably way off but here goes.

The team has definitely taken on the identity of their head coach and the message he preaches. They play in a calm, collected manner with a focus on not beating themselves and not allowing negative plays to have a major impact. This is fine, as we've seen them demonstrate the ability to weather an early storm and overcome. Usually this applies more for the defense, though. They might give up a big play or allow a drive where the opponent marches straight down the field but they stay calm and handle it. And as of this point in time, the defense is just a more well-oiled machine than the offense is.

Now, offensively, they have overcome some slow starts but the issue is them starting slow so often. They either have a bunch of drives with 3-and-outs or drives where mistakes/penalties negate solid plays. They keep the same demeanor, they stay calm, they go about their business, great. However, it only seems when time is of the essence do they start playing with a bit more of a spark than I normally see in comparison to their earlier drives. So, I dunno, I think maybe they aren't playing with a ton of urgency to start the game. I get that they don't wanna get overzealous or too amped up which can lead to mistakes, but sometimes it also feels like they're not too concerned about a bad drive cause they're like, "We'll put together a drive soon here." But as we've seen, they get it going too late and run out of time. 

I dunno, those are just my thoughts. Like I said, I'm probably way off, but maybe if they could take some of that energy they seem to find later in games and find it earlier, haha.

• Like (+1) 1

I would like us to come out with a few short to mid range completions to start. We seemingly run, run pass and then punt. I think Josh gets rolling if he can get into a rhythm early.  Maybe a play action to start and try  to utilize the middle of our field. Get some tight ends involved. We need to move the ball first drive and get some points. We can't keep starting 3 and out. 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I blame a bit of it on missing the deep throws.  Not trying to be down on Allen but several games we come out looking to back them off the LOS and after missing deep the whole first half we change it up and start moving the ball.  The NE and Raven's games in particular we came out throwing down the field and after missing on several big throws had to rethink things because we couldn't make them pay.  Dallas and Denver we hit big throws and made them pay although even then it wasn't out of the gate.