Not gonna totally blame Daboll, but blaming Daboll for playcalling

Steptide

On 12/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, BigBobby said:

Any OC who puts Frank Gore on the field in really any situation let alone a 1st and goal set of downs is a terrible OC.

When he does it again tomorrow and Frank Gore goes for -2 and we settle for a FG, I'm probably going to scream at the TV like I do every week.

Just sayin' - this def happened today. My wife yelled at me after I went crazy after that really weird Gore sequence after Tre's pick/return.

I calmed down. Then they did it AGAIN late in the 4th and handed the ball back to pitt with a chance to tie.

I mean, I found myself rooting for a slight hammy pull that will keep him out a few weeks so we don't have to watch that garbage anymore.

Allen was playing terribly inconsistent, they tried to get Singletary going, but he was fumbling, and every time Josh dropped back, it looked like he didn't know what to do...even with plenty of time. 

Yes, Daboll responded to poor execution by going conservative. People always seem to ignore that OC's call games based on what the players themselves have shown they're capable of executing. 

You can't just magically make the players catch balls, make the right reads, hit the right holes, pass and run block, not turn the ball over, etc.

Allen had 25 attempts which is what he should be around. Singletary had 21 attempts, which is exactly what fans have been wanting and whining about forever. 

But when your QB only hits on 50% of those passes, it shows he's wildly inconsistent. There were many times the offense stalled out the exact moment we started calling passes again. 

McDermott & Daboll knew what type of grindy game this was and called plays accordingly. Look at Pitts last 8 or 9 games and see how close they were.

And when it was all over, the Bills are the only team to beat Pittsburgh by a TD at home this year. 

And aside from the Browns, nobody beat them by a TD since Ben went down.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's a combination of Daboll and McDermott. The conservative play calling is beyond infuriating.... they did their best to give the Steelers every opportunity to steal that game at the end.... and they never seem to learn. 

I tend to agree? What happened to fearless?

I’ve had Dabolls back since he’s been here. Thought he did a masterful job of handling Josh last year and getting that rag tag group of receivers open sometimes. He did a lot with little talent. 
This season hasn’t looked so good. Like he’s bashing his head against the wall trying to force things to work. I’ve said it all week the offense needs all hands on deck. Gore and singletary are not enough you need to add Yeldon in even if he doesn’t play much. Crap at least put Senorise back there if they hate Yeldon that much. Duke, yes let’s get him in even if he doesn’t play much. This deep into the season you need to show some new looks and formations. 
And use Kroft. Drives me nuts arguing with people over Kroft being terrible and doing nothing. Got to give him some targets he is the mid range threat we need. Him and Beasley should almost never be out farther than 10 yards. 
Daboll has steadily regressed and in turn Allen and the rest of the offense has too. 

12 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’ve had Dabolls back since he’s been here. Thought he did a masterful job of handling Josh last year and getting that rag tag group of receivers open sometimes. He did a lot with little talent. 
This season hasn’t looked so good. Like he’s bashing his head against the wall trying to force things to work. I’ve said it all week the offense needs all hands on deck. Gore and singletary are not enough you need to add Yeldon in even if he doesn’t play much. Crap at least put Senorise back there if they hate Yeldon that much. Duke, yes let’s get him in even if he doesn’t play much. This deep into the season you need to show some new looks and formations. 
And use Kroft. Drives me nuts arguing with people over Kroft being terrible and doing nothing. Got to give him some targets he is the mid range threat we need. Him and Beasley should almost never be out farther than 10 yards. 
Daboll has steadily regressed and in turn Allen and the rest of the offense has too. 

They've been saving him all year for the game-winning TD catch here!

Seriously tho I think the lack of play designs targeting the TE or utilizing big bodied targets (*cough* Duke) is one of the strangest Daboll choices. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GregPersons said:

DiMarco split out wide, multiple times?

Running off-tackle with Gore?

I don't get the wisdom of it.

We should never run gore off tackle. I hope we draft a big strong back for short yardage.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GregPersons said:

They've been saving him all year for the game-winning TD catch here!

Seriously tho I think the lack of play designs targeting the TE or utilizing big bodied targets (*cough* Duke) is one of the strangest Daboll choices. 

Given our receivers size it would make sense to target tight ends more in the red zone. 
They have honestly set it up all year long. 2nd and goal from the 3, put gore in and you know defenses will come running and play action to tight ends will be wide open. They’ve ran Gore all friggen year around the goal line including tonight and it’s disaster after disaster. 

4 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

DiMarco split out wide, multiple times?

Running off-tackle with Gore?

I don't get the wisdom of it.

Im no DiMarco fan but his target would of been a decent little gain and maybe a first down. I don’t think anyone is really expecting him to get the ball 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I tend to agree? What happened to fearless?

Agreed.

Playcalling was gutless and embarassing for josh allen in my opinion. Hated to see that but glad we pulled it out in the end. Defense got 4 turnovers baby duck sucked!!!

Go bills.

Coaches, please do better!!!

1 minute ago, par73 said:

Yeah, that's not just conservative-- it is head-scratching.

It was because singletary got benched after the fumble wasnt it?

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's a combination of Daboll and McDermott. The conservative play calling is beyond infuriating.... they did their best to give the Steelers every opportunity to steal that game at the end.... and they never seem to learn. 

Fans get upset because they always want the team to play aggressive, and destroy the opponent by 20-30 points.

But sometimes, conservative is the right approach.

This coaching staff understands the strengths/weaknesses of the team.  They knew once we got up by 7 points, it was going to be very difficult for Pittsburgh to drive and score a touchdown.  They had a better chance of walking away with a W by grinding the clock and trusting for a defensive stop, than by having our offense try to put more points on the board.  Their strategy has resulted in a 10-4 record this year.  And in 3 of their 4 losses, they were in a position to tie or win at the very end.

I agree that it's INCREDIBLY frustrating to watch Frank Gore right now.  He's got absolutely no explosion, and is a sitting duck when the other team knows he's getting the ball.  But can you really blame them for giving Gore the ball when they have the lead... considering that Devon Singletary is struggling badly with fumbles?

The offense has improved greatly from 2017, but it's still a work in progress.  Coaching and playcalling is not the biggest cause for our 2019 struggles.  We need a between-the-tackles runner with a little bit of juice left in his legs.  We need another 1-2 receiving threats - preferably guys with more dependable hands.  And we need our Quarterback to continue improving his game.

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

my only thought is that they knew the only way the Steelers beat us was with a defensive Or ST TD. So they decided to be super conservative, run the ball, limit mistakes, control the clock, and let the D win it.

Not a huge fan of that philosophy, but it worked. 

• Like (+1) 1