Not gonna totally blame Daboll, but blaming Daboll for playcalling

Steptide

It's always on Daboll.  Uncreative, no adjustments to the blitz, every run telegraphed, nothing over the middle,continual home run shots instead of some easy throws.  

It was obvious from the first series they were in trouble and did not improve throughout the game.

Review the play by play and relive the nightmare.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127868

43 minutes ago, TPS said:

I think Eric Wood nails it in his weekly piece on OBD:

Until Allen starts hitting those deep balls, it's going be very difficult on the rest of the offensive scheme.  In other words, maybe Daboll deserves some blame, but Allen has made his job very difficult...

If Allen hit some of those deep balls, I still wouldn't like Daboll's game plan.  

Even during our wins, which make it much easier to take Daboll's nonsense - I have left most games thinking he's really bad at game planning and having an offense prepared.  

Given how windy it was an how bad Josh has been on long throws I was dumbfounded how many times we threw deep over the top on third and short in the first half. I'm all for going for the kill but Josh has been terrible at it and conditions werent exactly perfect to throw deep down the sidelines. Really wish Daboll would keep Singeltary next to Josh in the majority of sets The threat of a draw or swing pass might slow that blitz down just a bit.  Hope they have a better game plan this Sunday. 

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

IIRC up until 1 or 2 weeks ago their yardage was pretty close to the same but with Singletary's Last 2 weeks the gap has widened

I don’t look at stats.  I could care less about yardage.  How about ypc.  They’ve never been remotely close in ypc

24 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

IIRC up until 1 or 2 weeks ago their yardage was pretty close to the same but with Singletary's Last 2 weeks the gap has widened

Singletary has been pretty good in every game he's played but Gore seems like he has a much harder time coming in rotational.  Gore had some pretty good games as the starter but doesn't seem to find his rythm off the bench.

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I definitely think he could've called some better plays, especially in the 2nd half. To his credit, Allen did improve after halftime though. 

However, I was certain after halftime, they'd start calling some jet sweeps with mckenzie or foster, but I don't think they called one yesterday. I know the Ravens were getting a ton of pressure, but still think play action would've been effective, and I don't think we saw alot of that yesterday either. Even if that didn't work, some quick dump offs to singletary over the middle probably would've worked with all the pressure. Daboll for whatever reason kept throwing the quick pass to the sideline. Admittedly, it did work at times, but some more creativity would've been nice. Anyway, just my 2 cents. 

Dabboll was clueless yesterday. not ONE adjustment was made to counter the ravens blitzing. To me, if we miss the playoffs no question he should be finished here. 

My thought on Daboll is, schematically his plays are some of the best I have seen as far dictating the play and using the strengths of his players. However, his play calling is horrendous when his offense goes up against top level defenses. We ran Singletary 17 times, he should have had 21-24 rushes. He is the type of back the more runs he gets the more apt  he is t break off a few long ones. He provides extended pressure on a defense. By running a RPO and not having your QB run more than 1 time defeats the purpose of a RPO. Lineup in a conventional offense and pound the ball with sweeps, counters and play action.  Then the screen passes are useful, the deep ball might have a chance and your massive O LINE is in attack mode instead of defend mode. And why on earth are you throwing a bomb on a very makeable 3rd and 4 when you haven not completed one long bomb all year? It doesn't make a any common sense at all. 

Now, it wasn't all his fault we lost, there were 3 big drops that were potential big plays, Knox, Singletary(flare pass) and Beasely on the sideline. Cody Ford missed a huge block on a 3rd down that had he just paid even an iota of attention, too what was right in front of him would have been a huge gain. Had even 2 of those mistakes not been made would have likely changed the outcome. His play calling too me is so freaking frustrating it trumps his play schematics. He and the special teams are what will doom this football season for us fans..

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I want to know why we did not use McKenzie and Foster for reverses when other teams have been succesful with it.........meanwhile we just sit Josh back in the pocket....dont even try to let him run......and let the Ravens free blitz hime to death

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/1204128130308419584https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/1204128130308419584

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

A little off topic but I thought the final play of the game to brown was terrible. I don't know if that play was going to brown no matter what, but Allen had zero pressure on that pass. They could've done something a little more creative there 

Re watch that play and watch Beasley come open and curling up ...I think he cores if  the ball is delivered the other WR closer to the ez would block his guy

I personally think Brian Daboll has done a good job with the Bills offense.  He's basically got 1 RB, 2 WR's and a rookie TE to work with.

In his press conference after the Ravens game he stated:

"Josh has quite a bit of responsibility in the overall organization of protections. Whether that be a point or a redirect or a slide if he needs to do something. I mean you can't have alerts on every play with a team that pressures a lot."

"We were behind the defense on a couple of plays there. Third play of the game, we had him.  We missed him. Safety came down and we had him, just missed on it."

Josh Allen's inexperience and limitations certainly are part of the Bills inability to score points.  WHY all the blame on the OC?

Edited by Stallions

Since Stallion's thread where Daboll tries to blame Allen that was locked I tried to find a thread where I could post.  

Daboll when Allen is playing well (usually 3-4 drives a game since the Bills offense usually maxes out at 24 points) looks like he is doing the job.  Now when the offense stalls he is throwing Allen under the bus.

Against the Ravens there was pressure all game & Allen was hit consistently & Daboll did nothing to alleviate the pressure.

Again few quick hits, play action, slants, crossing patterns and simple 6 yard throws.

The team still is incapable of throwing for 300, which is commonplace in the NFL unless a Bills fan.  

24 points is considered a high scoring explosion of offense.

Yet some here laud Daboll & his innovative schemes?

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 3