Medical Question - Jaw/Eye

Virgil

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Women get TMJ like 4 or 5 times more than men.

My two ex-wives and present wife all developed it.

I don't know why.

Why the ***** would you do that three times, man??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

From what I've heard from married men TMJ, headaches, and chronic fatigue are all brought on by suggestions of intercourse.  FWIW.

I wish, but no, they wanted it.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Why the ***** would you do that three times, man??

My 3rd. and present wonderful wife just completed 1 1/2  years of cancer treatment.

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

He likes quantity over quality? 

They each have Bachelor degrees.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

Took some anti-inflammatory meds. 

I was just placing my fingers in spots on my cheek and it's incredibly sensitive/sore right at the joint of my jaw.  Maybe a quarter of an inch from the bottom of my ear

Go. To. The. Doctor.

Seeing eye blood is never good.  It might be nothing major but needs to be examined.

Edited by 4merper4mer

14 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Fascinating discussion.  I have had TMJ issues on my left side on and off for a few years.  The eye aspect of it is weird and concerning. I get ear aches and ringing in my ear, just on the left side.  I went to a doctor for it, and was told they are side effects of TMJ issues.  I am currently recovering from a significant event that caused my jaw to pop whenever I ate with very little provocation. It takes about a week or two to get over it.  In my case, I chewed gum a couple days in a row, and I think that’s what triggered it.

the ear aches are pretty common in association with dental problems.  the main branch of the nerve that breaks up and innervates the teeth starts right by the ear and jaw joint.  people with tooth and jaw pain often comment on ear pain, and usually see their primary care as well to rule out an inner ear infection.  the gum chewing though really irritates the joints. i'd avoid chewing it all together.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Took some anti-inflammatory meds. 

I was just placing my fingers in spots on my cheek and it's incredibly sensitive/sore right at the joint of my jaw.  Maybe a quarter of an inch from the bottom of my ear

that's the way to go for now.  warm compresses help as well too, but you really should follow up with someone, especially because of the eye.  have you recently had a coughing fit?  it's possible to pop a vessel in your eye causing the redness, and you may have over opened in the process, causing pain to the joint.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, teef said:

that's the way to go for now.  warm compresses help as well too, but you really should follow up with someone, especially because of the eye.  have you recently had a coughing fit?  it's possible to pop a vessel in your eye causing the redness, and you may have over opened in the process, causing pain to the joint.  

Is this possibly the first step toward blindness?  His mom told him this would happen.

50 minutes ago, teef said:

the ear aches are pretty common in association with dental problems.  the main branch of the nerve that breaks up and innervates the teeth starts right by the ear and jaw joint.  people with tooth and jaw pain often comment on ear pain, and usually see their primary care as well to rule out an inner ear infection.  the gum chewing though really irritates the joints. i'd avoid chewing it all together.

No coughing fits.  

One thing was weird. A friend asked me if I’d gone to see a chiropractor by chance as one had messed her up and it resulted in a similar situation.  I actually just went a few weeks back for the first time.  Even though I don’t know how the two can possibly be related.  

54 minutes ago, teef said:

...have you recently had a coughing fit?  it's possible to pop a vessel in your eye causing the redness, and you may have over opened in the process, causing pain to the joint.  

Is it possible that someone has poked Virgil in the eye on account of that haircut?  ?

?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

They each have Bachelor degrees, I hablockqulockquote widget

So you dated/married someone better than you? Score. Both my wives (ex and current) have Masters degrees, while I spent three years in college switching majors and have nothing to show for it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

So you dated/married someone better than you? Score. Both my wives (ex and current) have Masters degrees, while I spent three years in college switching majors and have nothing to show for it. 

I was a grunt/low man in a union shop. Never said no to anything. I out earned my wives. My back finally blew out at 54.Ten screws, 4 rods. But life is still good. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

A few thoughts about Virgil in no particular order...

...and, with no particular thoughts....

That’s a sandwich that leaves me hungry.

OK, I’m just hungry.....if I was in college there would be pizza heading my way! 

Hey everyone, doing much better.  Jaw is still sore and can feel things grinding/pulling when I open to wide, but it's overall much better.  My eye cleared up, but man was that freaky.

Sorry, between that drive back and the kid having a snow day, sleep and free time were non-existant.  Finally back to normal today.

Thanks for asking and the write-up is live, although much longer and didn't feel the same to me 48 hours later. 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2