Medical Question - Jaw/Eye

Virgil

I was eating dinner last night and while eating a wing, my jaw immediately started hurting.  It on the first bite of food.  I don't remember anything popping, but it felt like it something was out of place on the right hand side of my jaw.  I could open it all the way, but it hurt and again, felt like if i did something wrong, it would pop out completely.  That feeling went away, but it is very sore.

I woke up this morning and it's still incredibly sore.  But now, half of my right eye is blood red.

Any ideas what the hell is going on here?  I looked things up online and I don't see anything that relates the two together.  The eye is a matter of swelling, so many my jaw swelled up from whatever I did and these are all the aftershocks?

No idea.  Thoughts?

TMJ, a condition where it pops out on occasion

went through a bad bout of it over the fall season, was the worst when sleeping on my side

had to retrain myself to put the tip of my tongue in the ridges above the top row of teeth and hold my jaw in place for naps and sleeps

almost completely disappeared unless i forget and really misalign for a sleep

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

TMJ, a condition where it pops out on occasion

went through a bad bout of it over the fall season, was the worst when sleeping on my side

had to retrain myself to put the tip of my tongue in the ridges above the top row of teeth and hold my jaw in place for naps and sleeps

almost completely disappeared unless i forget and really misalign for a sleep

Did it occur while you were eating?  The sleep thing makes sense, but it started when I took that first bite

sometimes it would pop while going about the day, don't recall it for eating,  feels really bad when it happens, worst when it wakes me up

dentist said it should go away, gave me a card for a physio but i got over it (I hope) on my own.

I cut down on gum and sunflower seeds until the coast was clear

was it one solid bite and then pain?  you may have simply "sprained" your jaw joint or tmj.  tmj is the name of the joint, (temporomandiblar joint) and not an actual condition.  i know it's picky, but thought i'd put it out there.  like other joints in the body, there is cartilage and ligaments that become sore and inflamed.  it can happen through one single occurrence or over time with functioning, (clenching or grinding).  if this is not something you typically experience, it will likely just heal with time.  10-14 days, possibly longer.  

while giving the area time, don't over work the joint meaning don't chew gum, bagles, hard breads, anything that takes hard crunching, etc.  let things rest.  if you can take it, ibuprofen works great for the inflammation.  a warm compress on the joint can help too.  if you are a clencher or grinder, an acyrlic night guard will help significantly.   any pain on opening wide?  any worse in the morning?

typically when i see this, the symptoms will resolve on their own, if it is just the jaw joint.  to be honest, i have no idea how it relates to the eye in this case.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

was it one solid bite and then pain?  you may have simply "sprained" your jaw joint or tmj.  tmj is the name of the joint, (temporomandiblar joint) and not an actual condition.  i know it's picky, but thought i'd put it out there.  like other joints in the body, there is cartilage and ligaments that become sore and inflamed.  it can happen through one single occurrence or over time with functioning, (clenching or grinding).  if this is not something you typically experience, it will likely just heal with time.  10-14 days, possibly longer.  

while giving the area time, don't over work the joint meaning don't chew gum, bagles, hard breads, anything that takes hard crunching, etc.  let things rest.  if you can take it, ibuprofen works great for the inflammation.  a warm compress on the joint can help too.  if you are a clencher or grinder, an acyrlic night guard will help significantly.   any pain on opening wide?  any worse in the morning?

typically when i see this, the symptoms will resolve on their own, if it is just the jaw joint.  to be honest, i have no idea how it relates to the eye in this case.

No solid bite.   Just the process of opening my mouth. I don’t think I actually completed the process of the first bite. And the food wasn’t hard.  

When I open my mouth wide, I feel like that side of my jaw is fighting back a little bit. 

My jaw was popping as I chewed for a few days before this happened, but then it stopped the day before.  

I’m hoping it just does away. The blood vessel in my eye is what started to worry me a bit 

Edited by Virgil

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

No solid bite.   Just the process of opening my mouth. I don’t think I actually completed the process of the first bite. And the food wasn’t hard.  

When I open my mouth wide, I feel like that side of my jaw is fighting back a little bit. 

My jaw was popping as I chewed for a few days before this happened, but then it stopped the day before.  

I’m hoping it just does away. The blood vessel in my eye is what started to worry me a bit 

pain on maximum opening is typically an indicator of bruxism (clenching/grinding) or general over use.  are you waking up in any discomfort?  it's hard to tell what's going on without out actually taking a look, but it might be as simple as having a guard made.  do your teeth look flat at all, or do you see signs of gum recession with little notches on the teeth in that area where there is recession?  flatter teeth tend to show someone's a grinder, while recession with those notches, (abfraction) tend to be indicative of a clencher.

20 minutes ago, teef said:

pain on maximum opening is typically an indicator of bruxism (clenching/grinding) or general over use.  are you waking up in any discomfort?  it's hard to tell what's going on without out actually taking a look, but it might be as simple as having a guard made.  do your teeth look flat at all, or do you see signs of gum recession with little notches on the teeth in that area where there is recession?  flatter teeth tend to show someone's a grinder, while recession with those notches, (abfraction) tend to be indicative of a clencher.

Honestly, I don't have any issues usually nor have I had anything crazy happen.   The popping every time I opened my mouth for a few days was weird, but don't know what set that off.  Then, like I said, it just stopped and I was fine for a few days.  Then this happened.

I'll take the wait and see approach.  Should be fun.

Thank you

Edited by Virgil

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, I don't have any issues usually nor have I had anything crazy happen.   The popping every time I opened my mouth for a few days was weird, but don't know what set that off.  Then, like I said, it just stopped and I was fine for a few days.  Then this happened.

I'll take the wait and see approach.  Should be fun.

Thank you

it should resolve on it's own.  unfortunately i  can't help you much with the eye. 

never a problem.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He is seeing a dentist.  Teef is a dentist.  Ain't the internet great   The only bad thing, @teef gonna miss his Ferrari payment now! LoL

I thought he was a podiatrist....backwards. 

I’m no doctor, and I happen to hate them, but the eye thing would make me want to make a visit. The jaw thing probably just gets better with time....but two together?  

All I can suggest is I have a rugby style headgear that keeps my mouth/jaw closed at night. Mine is for sleep apnea, and it actually helps with that. It might be a nice, quick internet purchase for you. You go to bed with good intentions, then you body does whatever the heck it wants. This will keep your jaw stable at night, and you could probably have one at your door in a day or two. 

Fascinating discussion.  I have had TMJ issues on my left side on and off for a few years.  The eye aspect of it is weird and concerning. I get ear aches and ringing in my ear, just on the left side.  I went to a doctor for it, and was told they are side effects of TMJ issues.  I am currently recovering from a significant event that caused my jaw to pop whenever I ate with very little provocation. It takes about a week or two to get over it.  In my case, I chewed gum a couple days in a row, and I think that’s what triggered it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, teef said:

Took some anti-inflammatory meds. 

I was just placing my fingers in spots on my cheek and it's incredibly sensitive/sore right at the joint of my jaw.  Maybe a quarter of an inch from the bottom of my ear

35 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Women get TMJ like 4 or 5 times more than men.

My two ex-wives and present wife all developed it.

I don't know why.

From what I've heard from married men TMJ, headaches, and chronic fatigue are all brought on by suggestions of intercourse.  FWIW.