Reportedly McDermott needed to be restrained in the tunnel at halftime

8 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

I think you missed this post by the snarky way you replied. Although snark seems to be the preferred method of communication by many here, so who knows.

I am open to all possibilities, one thing I do know is it's obvious this goes way beyond being a 'human error' issue.

There was zero snark in my reply. Everything I said was spot on and sincere.

43 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

On not throwing the challenge flag: someday some analytics guy will do a chart on “when to challenge/when not to challenge a PI mom-call.” But even if the chances are slim (maybe 10% chance of getting an obvious PI non-call overturned?), my gut tells me you gotta challenge when you’re talking about a possible 30 yard gain. Losing the timeout just isn’t that big a deal; just run the offense a little faster and you’ll save that time. Losing the right to challenge a future call may be a bigger deal, but I don’t recall ever seeing that matter until the Pats-Chiefs game yesterday. The risk-return is so heavily in favor of challenging when it’s a big yardage play. 

Agreed, 

The criteria we've heard all year is that it has to be blatant...Well...I have no idea if clearly making early contact, including contact with the back of the receivers head making it impossible for the receiver to make a play on the ball, is blatant...But I'm guessing it's pretty close...

Should have challenged...?

Love to see it.  Sean is generally a respectful guy but he has high standards of performance and those refs were not calling the game as it was being played in the first half.  I;m glad Sean accosted them, it is his job to say something and he did.  No excuse for botching the twelve men in the huddle  call.  Its one thing to miss a call during live action when it is a matter of a judgement.  But you're a team of professionals and that demonstrated an unjustifiable lack of attention for every official to miss that call.  A kindergartner can tell the difference between eleven and twelve, do you're ***** jobs.    . 

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

I just felt like - its too risky with them never overturning it.  Id rather keep the Timeout which we'll need later

I think it was worth a shot and at that moment, the Bills offense NEEDED momentum. Tough call considering they rarely overturn them, but it was pretty blatant. They ended up having a shot at the end and TO's didn't come into play, but that's impossible to predict. Who knows. Emotionally, I definitely wanted to see that red flag because it felt like the game was slipping away.

11 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

yeah— but one is just a technical violation really. It would be another matter if they ran the play with 12 guys.

No, it's more than a technical violation.  It would allow a team to change their personnel and scheme, depending who comes off the field.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

I was livid at this!

Seriously how do you not get fired at the highest level of your profession when you do something like this?

I saw that too. Ball was downed at the eight, and there was a "half the distance" penalty that moved the ball to the 6 instead of the 4. Huh?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

terrible officiating at the end of the 1st half is my guess.  Ravens had 12 men on the field and there was no call.  Then there was the blatent PI at the end of the half, but he can't be too upset about that since he did not challenge it.  I could see challenging it, getting screwed, and then being upset.  

Interested to hear if there is anything more.  

Glad to see him fired up.  The officiating in the 1st half was terrible, much better in the 2nd.  

The league is made it abundantly clear that just being a blatant pass interference is not going to get a non-call overturned 95% of the time.  The DB actually has to commit assault.  Challenging PI is a good way to lose time outs.       

5 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

Officials (not the crew, but each official on the crew) are graded on every play by the ref mgmt and NFL.  That's how they determine the playoff and Super Bowl officiating crews.  Reward the best.

yeah, but that is not much of a grading scale.  The worst thing that happens is you get 16 reg season games.  Overall officiating is poor, and there are likely better refs in college.  Time to weed out the bottom 20 percent.