Reportedly McDermott needed to be restrained in the tunnel at halftime

2 hours ago, stosh64 said:

They deserve to get hurt pulling this classless move.  **** everyone involved with this sleazy play.

Why are people upset?  It’s silly to be upset that an opposing team tried a trick play.  Your job as a defense is to take each play seriously for just this reason.  It’s the offenses job to fool the defense literally on their intentions every single play Of every single game.  

Pretty silly for people to be upset about it.  A kneel down is a play like any other and by no means does it require to actually kneel down.  If you can catch the opponent sleeping and surprise them and maybe score then good for you, do it.  

If we did this play successfully, everyone would be raving about instead of complaining.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Good.

Even if you're wrong, give 'em an earful.

Refs are human; they look for makeup calls. We got 'em when we needed 'em too.

Gotta work the refs; the good ones all do it.

I agree with this too. Refs are human. At all levels of all sports you have to work them. I had plenty of run ins with refs as a soccer coach but you always go in after and see them in their changing room and explain yourself calmly and politely and shake hands. The next time you see that ref it might just help you. 

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

For as much as the fans drink in that stadium I'm waiting for the full field fan incursion. Worst officiated game I have watched in a long time.

To be honest, the Patriots/Chiefs game that followed was the worst officiated game I've ever seen, and it was the Patriots who (for once) got the short end of the stick.

3 hours ago, Talley56 said:

I guess some of us just won’t accept the fact that suspect calls happened both ways and we truly lost fair and square yesterday.  The no call on the PI everyone is upset about looked very weak and I’m sure every team, including the Bills, have gotten away with it numerous times.  If officiating is why McDermott was so upset then it makes me disappointed in him.

Bills definitely lost fair and square, tbh I didn't even think the officiating was poor in our game. Like I said in the post above, the Patriots got jobbed way worse yesterday.

Yesterday was a great loss for the Bills--they hung with the best team in the league, had a chance to tie on the last play, didn't shoot themselves in the foot, and honestly were ready for the big stage. A win would have been gravy, but it was the first time since Flutie was QB that I can remember the team just.... looking like an actual competent NFL team for the entirety of a really big game.

I was way, way, way worse for the wear after the Cleveland loss--that one was frustrating and one we should have had.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Max Fischer said:

Oh, you mean that ONE call.  So sorry, so that's what now, 5% overturned?  ?

Nope, there have been others. Two yesterday in the early games. Ex NFL official John Parry alluded to this happening in the NY post a few weeks ago. That very weekend, it started. Not a coincidence and if a fan knows this , the Bills HC certainly should. 

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

The part-time thing does not bother me as much as the fact they are awful.  I'm not sure, but I think college FB is part-time as well.  The problem is that there is zero accountability apparently besides not getting the "big games."  And who is grading them.  I mean, missing 12 men in a huddle should be a fine.  plain and simple.  

I'm in the minority and didn't mind it.  It's against the Bills defense, the Ravens know they needed points, and there was a chance at catching the D sleeping.  Reminded me of Marino (I think) faking the clocking years ago.  

Officials (not the crew, but each official on the crew) are graded on every play by the ref mgmt and NFL.  That's how they determine the playoff and Super Bowl officiating crews.  Reward the best.

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why are people upset?  It’s silly to be upset that an opposing team tried a trick play.  Your job as a defense is to take each play seriously for just this reason.  It’s the offenses job to fool the defense literally on their intentions every single play Of every single game.  

Pretty silly for people to be upset about it.  A kneel down is a play like any other and by no means does it require to actually kneel down.  If you can catch the opponent sleeping and surprise them and maybe score then good for you, do it.  

If we did this play successfully, everyone would be raving about instead of complaining.

Because it's not just a "trick play" that uses redirection, or a WR as a QB. It takes advantage of a team backing off because the offense is giving itself up. It's a crappy move, and one that only puts their own team in danger, because the next time they try to kill the clock or run victory formation, I hope a DL doesnt go easy on them, blows up the center and pushes him on Jackson's ankle.

Same way the Ravens player got a penalty for waving for a fair catch and then blocking. It's dirty to pretend you are "giving up" within the rules, and then take a shot at someone.

It's like calling "TRUCE" as a kid, and then jabbing the other kid in the stomach when he takes you for your word. Dick move.

Sure, no one here would be complaining if we did it, but I'd understand why the other team wouldnt like it. Risky move just to put your own players in danger later down the line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Ok.  The only time I paid attention to McDermott talking with SL official was after this play:  Ravens player signals fair catch and vacates the area of the ball.  Bills player catches the ball and it is marked at the 8.  Ravens are penalized because their return man had made a block after the fair catch signal.  The ball gets spotted at the 6.  Huh?  8 divided by 2 = 6?  Anyone got a better explanation for what happened?  It seemed coach was upset with that too but not vein poppingly so.

I was livid at this!

Seriously how do you not get fired at the highest level of your profession when you do something like this?

56 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Okay. Not sure why the overreaction, but I’m not offended by your response . Knowledge is power, though. 

Yes, it "could" have been overturned but the league rate of overturned PI calls is 5%. You allude to two calls in other games, DURING the Bills game, as if that has any impact on the one they were playing. Sure, we could have a useless debate whether the call would have been overturned but it's not an "overreaction" to mock fans who somehow believe coaches are not aware that, at best, the league is overturning even fairly blatant PI calls only a small percentage of the time. 

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because it's not just a "trick play" that uses redirection, or a WR as a QB. It takes advantage of a team backing off because the offense is giving itself up. It's a crappy move, and one that only puts their own team in danger, because the next time they try to kill the clock or run victory formation, I hope a DL doesnt go easy on them, blows up the center and pushes him on Jackson's ankle.

Same way the Ravens player got a penalty for waving for a fair catch and then blocking. It's dirty to pretend you are "giving up" within the rules, and then take a shot at someone.

It's like calling "TRUCE" as a kid, and then jabbing the other kid in the stomach when he takes you for your word. Dick move.

Sure, no one here would be complaining if we did it, but I'd understand why the other team wouldnt like it. Risky move just to put your own players in danger later down the line.

Come on, how is it any riskier than any other play?   That’s total nonsense.  If the defense takes the play off and isn’t ready in case of a fake then that’s undisciplined football and they got hurt by their own mistake.  Period.

This was not end of game, there was time on clock and game was in first half still with game on the line.  

Any defender not paying attention there is playing undisciplined football.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes it was.  Any HC playing the Ravens should let the officials know about this and play accordingly.

It wasn't a good look by the Ravens and they should reconsider it as a play in their playbook.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Come on, how is it any riskier than any other play?   That’s total nonsense.  If the defense takes the play off and isn’t ready in case of a fake then that’s undisciplined football and they got hurt by their own mistake.  Period.

This was not end of game, there was time on clock and game was in first half still with game on the line.  

Any defender not paying attention there is playing undisciplined football.  

Ok, so you are in the camp that the DLine should go 100% in every victory formation? Ok, fair enough, see how far that gets them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

terrible officiating at the end of the 1st half is my guess.  Ravens had 12 men on the field and there was no call.  Then there was the blatent PI at the end of the half, but he can't be too upset about that since he did not challenge it.  I could see challenging it, getting screwed, and then being upset.  

Interested to hear if there is anything more.  

Glad to see him fired up.  The officiating in the 1st half was terrible, much better in the 2nd.  

On not throwing the challenge flag: someday some analytics guy will do a chart on “when to challenge/when not to challenge a PI mom-call.” But even if the chances are slim (maybe 10% chance of getting an obvious PI non-call overturned?), my gut tells me you gotta challenge when you’re talking about a possible 30 yard gain. Losing the timeout just isn’t that big a deal; just run the offense a little faster and you’ll save that time. Losing the right to challenge a future call may be a bigger deal, but I don’t recall ever seeing that matter until the Pats-Chiefs game yesterday. The risk-return is so heavily in favor of challenging when it’s a big yardage play. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

You want the real explanation? Or like everyone else are you going to schluff it off and act like this is impossible?

The NFL is highly scripted. Vegas is a very important aspect of this. You guys are all confused bc you don’t know who actually controls the NFL and what their agenda is. 

You our make a great and obvious point—how can such a ridiculously profitable organization seemingly not be able to figure out how to improve their referee issue? It’s bc they don’t want to. And you all just buy the excuse that they’re humans who make mistakes and it’s a fast game and they’re just not good blah blah blah. 

This is allows them to steer games very effectively without any traction being gained to the argument that they’re rigging this. 

Use the the hottest two word term going and say I’m crazy but this is how it works. Don’t believe me? Get used to being angry and confused about this.

I think you missed this post by the snarky way you replied. Although snark seems to be the preferred method of communication by many here, so who knows.

5 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Agreed that they need to be held accountable.

Seems the nfl makes a conscious decision to keep the status quo with officiating instead of trying to improve it.

There is only 1 reason to keep the status quo and that is criminal and could possibly kill the nfl.

I am open to all possibilities, one thing I do know is it's obvious this goes way beyond being a 'human error' issue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Yes, it "could" have been overturned but the league rate of overturned PI calls is 5%. You allude to two calls in other games, DURING the Bills game, as if that has any impact on the one they were playing. Sure, we could have a useless debate whether the call would have been overturned but it's not an "overreaction" to mock fans who somehow believe coaches are not aware that, at best, the league is overturning even fairly blatant PI calls only a small percentage of the time. 

The point is that other coaches are now challenging them , as they are now being overturned. You have to discount earlier in the season when it was obvious that the league did not want these calls overturned regardless of the obvious video evidence. That 5% rate is artificially low. It’s worthy of debate in a game where yards were extremely hard to come by.